What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Merlin update from 380.70 to 384.6 CPU lag

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

-Skyrider-

New Around Here
As of today I updated my ASUS RT-AC68U router from 380.70 to 384.6. I've backed up my settings and restored it on the latest firmware (after factory reset).

Noticed that after a few minutes, CPU (mostly just 1 core) is going haywire and makes the router's web GUI almost impossible to load, and my internet is sluggish.

According to TOP (couldn't install htop), most CPU sucking applications were:

- mtdblock3 (19.2% on CPU 1)
- migration/0 (17.0% on CPU 0)
- /sbin/preinit (10.3% on CPU 1)

Is it because I recovered settings from a 380 firmware into 384? For now I downgraded back to 380.x and it's working perfectly fine again. I noticed a factory reset was highly recommended, but nothing was said about not restoring the settings.

PS, sorry about the duplicate post. Already requested the other one to be removed as I can't soft-delete it myself.

Is it because I recovered settings from a 380 firmware into 384? For now I downgraded back to 380.x and it's working perfectly fine again. I noticed a factory reset was highly recommended, but nothing was said about not restoring the settings.

If a reset is required ( and it certainly is in this case) you can't use old settings from a back up , you are mixing the old and new firmware.

Install firmware and factory reset .......

Please read >>> https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Is it because I recovered settings from a 380 firmware into 384?

Most likely, yes. Make screenshots of your settings, upgrade to the latest branch, do a factory reset, initialize if nescessary (on the reset page) reboot, and start fresh. You need to manually reconfigure your router and your problems will be gone.

Thanks, just wanted a confirmation :)

It's a shame I can't select specific things to backup (such as the port settings), guess I'll have to manually do everything again.

Appreciate the replies.

Also note that as you move from 380.xx to 384.xx, the router needs to use completely different Trend Micro signature files. Your CPU will spike for a bit on the first boot, as it has to download and process updated signature files.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!