What's new

Asus RT-AC68U USB drive not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marvin A

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Scroll to the bottom for the question; I'll first describe the issue. Thanks.

I'm new here, and relatively new to networking as well. Learning as I go.

I recently bought an Asus AC68U and it's been pretty smooth going - apart from attaching a USB disk to it. I swapped the HDD in my laptop for an SDD recently, and tried using the leftover HDD with the AC68U (a 5400 rpm 500 GB drive). I first tried formatting with NTFS in my laptop - disk was recognised but I was unable to access it. I next tried formatting with EXT3 through the router (command line). I was able to use it for one day after which access was lost, no idea why. The router wouldn't even recognise the disk anymore. The disk has worked flawlessly when connected to my laptop, still does.

I also had a weird issue where plugging the drive to the USB 2.0 port on the router would render the router page (192.168.1.1) inaccessible; instead, I got a cached page saying the router firmware was updated. (I found that others had had this randomly through googling.) Unplugging the drive & rebooting the router solved the issue.

I spent half a day googling this. Here's the question:

How do I set up my AC68U with a USB drive so I won't have any trouble? I mostly want to use it for non-crucial backups over the network and secondarily for storing the odd movie.

I can buy a new USB drive if necessary. I'd rather not buy a full-blown NAS solution as I don't need it for anything crucial, and I don't like having a lot of hardware in the house.

Thank you :)

I have a feeling it has got to do with not being able to handle the power profiles when the USB disks are attached, be it powered or portable. May I ask what firmware were you using before you gave up? Did you replace the router?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3.0.0.4.378_4585. Still am. I haven't replaced the router as it works perfectly in every other way. Might be power related indeed, I noticed the disk wasn't always on when connected, seemed a bit random. I spent 4-5 days googling the issue and found a handful of scattered reports suggesting I'm not alone, but not enough to figure out a solution. Posted on a couple of forums, no replies.

Some news for you. Please check the picture. With USB attached uptime has been about 19 hours. I haven't enable anything but media server and samba. Please take note of the latest firmware I'm using.
80cb547ab07bd347ff11b4824904872a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!