What's new

Asus RT-AC86U - connectivity and memory usage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had about the same RAM usage as you (around 70%), until I plugged in 2 USB drives. I suspect the USB drivers somehow use a lot of RAM. If you can try to plug in 2 USB drives and report back, it would be helpful.
Actually I don't have it in the moment. But maybe in the future I'll try.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Running disc scanner (flashdrive attached) released memory which was hovering around 95% to 75% used. Within minutes it came back to around 95% used. Formatted the flash drive and memory went to around 70% used and stayed there.

Could be the file management system. Also noticed CPU usage jumped from a typical 5% on both cores to 95% after a bunch of files were deleted and stayed there (monitored for 30 minutes). CPU utilisation only returned to typical values after the format.

Running disc scanner (flashdrive attached) released memory which was hovering around 95% to 75% used. Within minutes it came back to around 95% used. Formatted the flash drive and memory went to around 70% used and stayed there.

Could be the file management system. Also noticed CPU usage jumped from a typical 5% on both cores to 95% after a bunch of files were deleted and stayed there (monitored for 30 minutes). CPU utilisation only returned to typical values after the format.

Interesting findings. I ran the disc scanner, but my memory utilization didn't go down. Currently, I would rather not format the drives, as I have lot's of data on them and the scan didn't reveal any problems.

@arthurlien - Did we identify issues with USB and memory management in the latest firmware? Please let us know if this abnormal behavior and something that can be fixed in the next release. Thanks!

Interesting findings. I ran the disc scanner, but my memory utilization didn't go down. Currently, I would rather not format the drives, as I have lot's of data on them and the scan didn't reveal any problems.

@arthurlien - Did we identify issues with USB and memory management in the latest firmware? Please let us know if this abnormal behavior and something that can be fixed in the next release. Thanks!

Memory usage increased after usb HDD used, it's normal. otherwise, the memory usage will be depend on the feature you enabled.

same here, using almost whole RAM - enabled Ai Protection, openVPN server, one USB 3.0 and one 2.0
Used 483MB - 94%
Free 29MB

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-07-22 23-57-59.png
    Screenshot from 2018-07-22 23-57-59.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 563
So I take it full RAM usage can be normal and nothing to worry about?
And probably desirable. Ideally, available RAM would be utilized efficiently all the time instead of wasted potential sitting idle. The goal is to maximize its use.

What happens when it's maxed out.. Does it swap out? Can a USB drive augment swap?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

What happens when it's maxed out.. Does it swap out? Can a USB drive augment swap?

Being a linux based system, yes it swaps out, others can share their setups, but a usb drive might help by freeing up space used as storage beyond that idk.

Right so now with everything fired up yep RAM is fully utilised

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 440436 413096 27340 0 2164 139848
-/+ buffers/cache: 271084 169352
Swap: 0 0 0

Ran the Diversion script and as a bonus they throw in a Swap option - so now I'm sporting a 1GB Swpa file.. happy days.

Last edited:
It depends on how the memory is being used at that time. In my experience most of the memory is usually being used to cache disk blocks (as seen in your post #31). In this case when a process requests more memory than is available the system will free up some of the cache. The old data isn't "swapped" to disk as that would be self-defeating (caching disk blocks on a disk :eek::D).

If there isn't any available cache blocks that can be discarded then it will indeed start "swapping", but that can sometimes result in a significant performance hit.

I have had my new 86U for two weeks now and it seems like it is always at 70% RAM usage.

It's normal.

Run top or install htop and you will see there is a lot of cache there.

I used the Diversion script to set up swap anyway. So far it's used a tiny bit of Swap, which suggests the RAM can't be "that" full.

Last edited:
I find it ridiculous to sell devices with such low memory - and no sockets to upgrade them further to a couple of gigs. I am using my 68 so heavily that it uses some swap.. I wish it didn't.. oh well.

I find it ridiculous to sell devices with such low memory - and no sockets to upgrade them further to a couple of gigs. I am using my 68 so heavily that it uses some swap.. I wish it didn't.. oh well.

I wish people who want a spoon would just get a spoon instead of complaining about their fork not being a spoon.

OE

That's because you're using it in a way that it wasn't designed for. It's not a PC. If you install unofficial software that increases the memory usage that's on you.

I wish people who want a spoon would just get a spoon instead of complaining about their fork not being a spoon.
OE
I wish the local currency did better so more people where I live could buy the devices that are mentioned. And I also wish other people would be less snobbish about it.

After trying a bunch of different features, it appears to me that attaching USB drives to the router causes the greatest memory increase, especially for two drives. But as others have said, high RAM usage appears to be typical and not an issue. I see no difference in performance when RAM is fully utilized as indicated in the WebUI.

@Turgut Kalfaoglu I don't think anyone is being 'snobbish' about it. Using a tool correctly is step number one. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!