What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U firmware release 3.0.0.4.384_32799

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm having a problem with my RT-AC86U it always show Offline in the AiMesh nodes list and I only have a wall between the nodes. Any idea what is going on ?
If there is only a wall make a small hole and use an ethernet backhaul without all those problems.

i lost node after upgrade, now i can't add node. I try reset to default my node but still unable to add node.
as in unable to find the node or found but unable to add?
in my particular case, my ac3100 can't find ac68u on any firmware after 384.20308
some issue with the 5 year+ hardware, out of warranty ;p
the work around for my case:
roll my first gen ac68u (node) back to 384.20308 for it to be found n paired
once paired, it's fine to update the firmware with the ai-mesh gui
and it is functional ai-mesh node.

My AiMesh: RT-AC86U Router (FW 32799)
Node#1 RT-AC68U (Wired Backhaul) (FW 32738)
Node #2 RT-AC66U_B1 (WIFI Backhaul) (FW 32738)

Was having general stability problems with 32797. My ROUTER (AC86U) would go offline every several days, fixed by reboot, so I updated to 32799 FW. I suspect my stability issues with 32797 had to do with the fact that I did not, as recommended, do a factory reset. So this time I did, on the router and both nodes. Since it was such a thrash, I decided to test performance while I was at it, to investigate @OzarkEdge's reports. I observed:

The wired backhaul reports a transmission rate of 702 Mbps, which seems consistent with my gigabit service.
View attachment 14456
My speed tests give me ~300Mpbs, which I expect, given that I have QoS implemented.

The wireless backhaul reports a transmission rate of 867 Mbps, but my speed tests only give me ~140 Mbps.
View attachment 14455
This is about half the speed, at the WIFI backhaul. Additionally, my bufferbloat drops from a B to a C. A wired connection at the WIFI backhaul gives me the expected ~300Mbps, and my expected WIFI bufferbloat score of B.

Other observations: the download speed is affected, not the upload speed, which remains steady whether I'm connected to router, wired or wireless node, using WIFI or LAN connection.

I think this is a firmware issue. For my part, since I have high speeds, I'm keeping the current firmware (switching it out is not for the faint of heart!). I'll report on stability if I have issues. I'm hoping I won't!

Please update to 32799 in RT-AC68U and RT-AC66U_B1 first. Retest again and send feedback with WiF log, System log by Administration -> Feedback.

Please update to 32799 in RT-AC68U and RT-AC66U_B1 first. Retest again and send feedback with WiF log, System log by Administration -> Feedback.
Okay, I will! Could one of the experts on this thread confirm the process for me? My plan is to manually upgrade through the GUI. Then do I need to reset all THREE routers (the main router and both nodes) or can I get away with just doing a reset/re-add of the nodes....? Thanks!

(I reset all three routers several days ago when I upgraded my Rt-AC86u to 32799....)

Okay, I will! Could one of the experts on this thread confirm the process for me? My plan is to manually upgrade through the GUI. Then do I need to reset all THREE routers (the main router and both nodes) or can I get away with just doing a reset/re-add of the nodes....? Thanks!

(I reset all three routers several days ago when I upgraded my Rt-AC86u to 32799....)

Upgrade the nodes from the AiMesh router GUI and then remove/reset/re-add the nodes. Then you'll see if it works... if AiMesh will upgrade just the nodes that need it.

If weirdness happens, be prepared to reset all and re-configure the router from scratch.

OE

Last edited:

@arthurlien, I have updated the firmware on both nodes, and reset and re-added the nodes as suggested. That process went very smoothly-- the GUI seems improved, and helped me with resetting the nodes, thanks for that! However, the speed issues that @OzarkEdge first reported still remain. To summarize: wifi clients on a wifi node have 1/2 the speed of wired clients on the wifi node, and wifi/wired clients on wired node.

I was unable to submit logs directly from the router, so sent via email, as suggested. Thanks for looking into this!

I was unable to submit logs directly from the router,

Same here but they got it anyway, so I suspect the router feedback error is a false alert worth ignoring.

OE

Flashed from Merlin 384.7b, couple of small issues, the font in user input fields in the browser gui like ssid, nslookup, etc. is invisible, selecting all reveals its there. AI protection scan, some of the setting changed to less secure options but wasn't detected and hitting the scan button doesn't update, e.g. upnp was put on. Rebooted only.

Last edited:
Flashed from Merlin 384.7b, couple of small issues, the font in user input fields in the browser gui like ssid, nslookup, etc. is invisible, selecting all reveals its there. AI protection scan, some of the setting changed to less secure options but wasn't detected and hitting the scan button doesn't update, e.g. upnp was put on. Rebooted only.

So, you flashed stock over Merlin and have weird effects? You likely need to factory default reset.

OE

So, you flashed stock over Merlin and have weird effects? You likely need to factory default reset.

OE
Yeah, first time I've done that, I've had the router a year. Just spent hours reconnecting everything, but things are fixed. thx

The description of this update is too vague and I don't know what is resolved but seems now my router is doing fine. I had nasty 5 Ghz Wi-Fi dropouts and rejections till this ASUS-WRT firmware update. In fact I'm using now my second RT-AC86U after I returned the first one under warrany conditions. It was really aweful with the AC-signal. I got a replacement with a new one from the reseller. Both of them was working normally for a few days after out of the box and then began to make troubles with the 5-ghz band. Latest previous firmwares didn't help much. But after installation of the current one it seems like wi-fi has been functioning stable for a couple of days now. I have no fadings or conection issues for now. Hope I'll finaly get rid of these annoing moments when conection is made but no Internet, or even rejected conection from the router. Did update, factory reset and no mu-mimo, no airtime fairness, no implicit beamfroming. Only explicit beamforming on 802.11ac. Let's see how it will going on with this new firmware.

More than 3 weeks now and Wi-Fi has been working very nice. Also there are no 5ghz dropouts any more with this 32799 firmware. I have stable fast speed everywhere throughout the house both wired and wireless, I can't complain. Very glad with my new ASUS AC86U now. :)

My current settings are:

2.4 GHz Band
General
N-only / 20MHz / fixed channel
Professional
Preamble Type - Short
Modulation Scheme - Up to MSC 7 (802.11n)
Airtime Firness - Disabled
MU-MIMO - Disabled
Explicit Beamforming - Disabled
Universal Beamforming - Disabled
Everything else - default

5 GHz Band
General
N/AC-mixed / 80MHz / auto channel
Professional
Roaming Assistant - Disabled
Enable TX bursting - Disabled
Modulation Scheme - Up to MSC 9 (802.11ac)
Airtime Firness - Disabled
MU-MIMO - Disabled
802.11ac Beamforming - Enabled
Universal Beamforming - Disabled
Everything else - default

I've been on 32799 on a AIMesh (router and node are u86) with wireless backbone for over a month and my wifi is unstable ... devices seem to drop for a couple of seconds multiple times in a day. I was going to find time to do a full reset, but the comments sound like it's a firmware issue so I've been just living with it for now. Log shows the following:

Oct 9 19:53:53 kernel: wfd_unregisterdevice Successfully unregistered ifidx 2 wfd_idx 0
Oct 9 19:53:53 kernel: wfd_registerdevice Successfully registered dev wds0.0.1 ifidx 2 wfd_idx 0
Oct 9 19:53:53 kernel: Register interface [wds0.0.1] MAC: 2c:fd:a1:a2:xx:xx
Oct 9 19:54:09 roamast: discover candidate node [2C:FD:A1:A2:xx:xx](rssi: -59dbm) for weak signal strength client [CC:20:E8:2E:xx:xx](rssi: -77dbm)
Oct 9 19:54:09 roamast: eth6: disconnect weak signal strength station [cc:20:e8:2e:xx:xx]
Oct 9 19:54:09 roamast: eth6: remove client [cc:20:e8:2e:xx:xx] from monitor list

The most of my devices are are in very close proximity to the Asus node and are stationary

Last edited:
I've been on 32799 on a AIMesh (router and node are u86) with wireless backbone for over a month and my wifi is unstable ... devices seem to drop for a couple of seconds multiple times in a day. I was going to find time to do a full reset, but the comments sound like it's a firmware issue so I've been just living with it for now. Log shows the following:

Oct 9 19:53:53 kernel: wfd_unregisterdevice Successfully unregistered ifidx 2 wfd_idx 0
Oct 9 19:53:53 kernel: wfd_registerdevice Successfully registered dev wds0.0.1 ifidx 2 wfd_idx 0
Oct 9 19:53:53 kernel: Register interface [wds0.0.1] MAC: 2c:fd:a1:a2:xx:xx
Oct 9 19:54:09 roamast: discover candidate node [2C:FD:A1:A2:xx:xx](rssi: -59dbm) for weak signal strength client [CC:20:E8:2E:xx:xx](rssi: -77dbm)
Oct 9 19:54:09 roamast: eth6: disconnect weak signal strength station [cc:20:e8:2e:xx:xx]
Oct 9 19:54:09 roamast: eth6: remove client [cc:20:e8:2e:xx:xx] from monitor list

The most of my devices are are in very close proximity to the Asus node and are stationary

Could you try to disable the Smart Connect and Set WiFi 2G/5G channel as static (Not Auto)?

Arthur .. That would require a change to my SSID name(s) and change my IoT devices which I'd rather not do (they don't make it easy). From the recent post from OzarkEdge, it sounds like SmartConnect is the culprit

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!