What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81351

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I use Smart Connect and all settings on Auto and it works great for me, no issues with either 2.4 or 5 Ghz.
This is without AInode it appears? Looks like most of the ones who've upgraded and using AInode are the ones with issues. Upgrading and using it as stand alone router seems to be fine

Last edited by a moderator:
This is without AInode it appears? Looks like most of the ones who've upgraded and using AInode are the ones with issues. Upgrading and using it as stand alone router seems to be fine

Correct, I tried AiMesh in the past but I totally didn't like it, also the RT-AC86U is so powerful, if properly located in the house one hardly needs any nodes...but of course depends on a lot of factors...

I've registered to SNBforums only to Thank you all who mentioned about 3.0.0.4.384.45717 !
I have a AC86U + AIMesh ( Ac68U connected on cable). Since last few weeks, the wireless connections are VERY UNSTABLE. 5Ghz disappearing, mobile phones not connecting anymore to any of 5GHz, 2.4Ghz , other devices in the house are loosing wifi connection ... strange things like: I shutdown my computer, and this triggers a disconnection of the AiMesh node for ~10 minutes ...and other strange things...
After reading this topic, I just tried 3.0.0.4.384.45717 and after 30 minutes I am already enthusiastic that this might work (no issue until now, I'm still connected on WiFi ! :) :hurray: )

I've registered to SNBforums only to Thank you all who mentioned about 3.0.0.4.384.45717 !
I have a AC86U + AIMesh ( Ac68U connected on cable). Since last few weeks, the wireless connections are VERY UNSTABLE. 5Ghz disappearing, mobile phones not connecting anymore to any of 5GHz, 2.4Ghz , other devices in the house are loosing wifi connection ... strange things like: I shutdown my computer, and this triggers a disconnection of the AiMesh node for ~10 minutes ...and other strange things...
After reading this topic, I just tried 3.0.0.4.384.45717 and after 30 minutes I am already enthusiastic that this might work (no issue until now, I'm still connected on WiFi ! :) :hurray: )
Np. test yourself cuz this forum is mostly a joke ( only merlin does smth good ). When u tell them the truth about only 1 working firmware they call u troll.

Np. test yourself cuz this forum is mostly a joke ( only merlin does smth good ). When u tell them the truth about only 1 working firmware they call u troll.
That's a little bit incorrect. If you blame ASUS for anything else including faulty firmwares or hardwares they call you a troll. They say everything is user fault. And then you can see a next firmware which has vulnerability and bug fix. What the...?o_O

Last edited:

look, i hate this kind of crappy comment! can you take a minute and dig yourself? no one forced you to join this board and considering its cost, u should be grateful. instead u bitch and cast dispersions. how much testing are your doing? what about code?? i can tell u, i pretty much do very little compared to what many contribute here. personally, i've had a few things work and others not so much but i keep my perspective, k. bottom, line it's freakin' free - these days we consumers barely u get what we pay for!

i bought this device after years of pain with a few linksys/marvel routers. asus is head and shoulders over linksys but by and large most of these consumer devices are full of holes. if you're not happy, take it up with asus and give these guys a break already. frankly, i question anyone's intelligence for taking this informal, although well organized blog, as gospel. test with these extremely complex devices is a bear!! if u're paying attention and READ, many using the same device/fw have very different experiences.

i can tell u as a former developer and manager, these things rarely get to be 100%. too many variables. hell, asus with all their resources can't get it right yet u bitch about those who share their thoughts and experiences on this blog - enough already! i'd be thankful and keep the shade to yourself or direct to asus.

. . . get a life already.

To quote a buddy on another forum... The exits are clearly marked... Also its a logic fallacy to expect something to be 100% flawless... Seriously open up some support tickets, send Asus some feedback... I have yet to find a device that does everything flawlessly without spending a fortune on it...

To quote a buddy on another forum... The exits are clearly marked... Also its a logic fallacy to expect something to be 100% flawless... Seriously open up some support tickets, send Asus some feedback... I have yet to find a device that does everything flawlessly without spending a fortune on it...

You would expect something from expensive router other than everything hanging freezing and not working like 15 euro router. I just want this router "to work" nothing above that and its not working like normal router should because its lagging and freezing everywhere and all options are broken ( wtfast is a freaking joke some hosts that actually are non existant in actual software just are some banana republic added for marketing) is one of the examples of me experiencing on my own skin that spending money on expensive router is worse than throwing it out of the window beacuse if u throw it 2 days later ull forget that u did it and this not working router will get on ur nerves all the time. Asus is not serious when it comes to firmware and routers ( i tested asus rt86u thats one i can speak about ). I just want my router "to work" so i can forget about it without random connection drops and shiets 10 years ago 10 euro routers were so much more stable than this lol and its the first expensive one i wasted money on.

So is 45717 still considered the last stable firmware?

I have only one router, no nodes. I'm happy with 45717 and don't want to create problems for nothing.

is anyone running a mesh setup? I think switching between nods got worse with this update.

is anyone running a mesh setup? I think switching between nods got worse with this update.

I'm running a RT-AC5300 as the main and the RT-AC86U as node in my AIMesh setup. Had some problems after the last upgrade, but a kicking the RT-86U out of the AIMesh network and back in again made it stable. Until 2 days ago, but a reboot of the RT-AC5300 made it good again.

I'm running a RT-AC5300 as the main and the RT-AC86U

If you reverse the roles, RT-AC86U as main and RT-AC5300 as node, then you can have a dedicated 5GHz link on the node. Try it, may work better. And RT-AC86U is actually faster hardware device compared to RT-AC5300.

The acsd service loads the processor.
YFVq8ig.jpg

It's unfortunate that Asus hobbles their good intentions with firmware defects that persist through multiple releases.

This one suggests one more practical reason to disable Smart Connect and use separate SSIDs with fixed channels.

OE

It's unfortunate that Asus hobbles their good intentions with firmware defects that persist through multiple releases.
This one suggests one more practical reason to disable Smart Connect and use separate SSIDs with fixed channels.
OE

Why using an expensive router and still doing everything manually, does that really make sense?
Just wondering. Myself not having had any issues with the latest firmware releases, only airtime fairness is disabled to make Sonos work....
I like that my iPhone connects on 2.4 GHz when approaching the house then switching to 5 GHz inside...not having to worry about channels and only using one SSID is convenient?

Why using an expensive router and still doing everything manually, does that really make sense?

Setting fixed channels is not a hardship... it's commonly done... it's not manual labor.

Some users want separate SSIDs to isolate or tame clients.

Firmware since 45713 scans for channels excessively and changes channels needlessly. These channel changes can disrupt client connections and the user experience. This is why I stopped using Smart Connect and auto channels.

The user above reports that this acsd scanning loads the CPU... this does not seem right... either.

I don't worry about my router's fixed channels; I know exactly how they are set and being used at all times without having to look. And my wireless user experience has improved.

Having options and exercising them is hardly an affront to the cost of the equipment.

OE

Last edited:

OE
so here i am just browsing since i'm having another insomniac episode and i learn that the latest fw has some excessive loading on the cpu. checked my router and goodness!! both cores are pretty much pegged at 100%.

so back to 45717 i went and lo and behold, we're back to normal again. methinks that will do it for me until you guys bless a release.

. . . very thankful for this info.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online