What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81351

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

so here i am just browsing since i'm having another insomniac episode and i learn that the latest fw has some excessive loading on the cpu. checked my router and goodness!! both cores are pretty much pegged at 100%.

so back to 45717 i went and lo and behold, we're back to normal again. methinks that will do it for me until you guys bless a release.

. . . very thankful for this info.

Were you using AiProtection? Auto channels?

I can see an insomniac up browsing, but not rebuilding their router! :)

Don't forget to rebuild your signature.

OE

goodness, i didn't expect a reply - hell, u fixed me!! i don't run aiprotection but certainly used auto channels. after reading your posts, i locked the 2.4 radio to channel 11 but left 5g on auto. there was no noticeable change on the high cpu load under 81351. when i downgraded back to 45717 (fixed my signature) the cpu cores really calmed down. after years of marvel/linksys woes, i can certainly live with these hiccups.

u guys are a bit too good for what we're paying u. i gotta do some xmas shopping before i really mess up what's important here. so merry christmas or happy holidays if that a better fit. much obliged.

Why using an expensive router and still doing everything manually, does that really make sense?
Just wondering. Myself not having had any issues with the latest firmware releases, only airtime fairness is disabled to make Sonos work....
I like that my iPhone connects on 2.4 GHz when approaching the house then switching to 5 GHz inside...not having to worry about channels and only using one SSID is convenient?
When using one SSID, how can you find out on which your device is connected without connecting to the router UI?

When using one SSID, how can you find out on which your device is connected without connecting to the router UI?

Usually you can inspect the client's connection link rate and know the difference.

OE

Why is there even a option with "Ddos protection" in my router firewall option . If Asus were serious company they would redirect strike of a botnet 30 gb's per second to their servers instead of on my isp and then my router but its just a cheap marketing joke which can be compared to asus saying "put a plastic bag on your head when you walk next to chernobyl open reactor it will reduce the radiation". My router will shut down anyway why is asus joking by adding this option anyway ? :D

Why is there even a option with "Ddos protection" in my router firewall option . If Asus were serious company they would redirect strike of a botnet 30 gb's per second to their servers instead of on my isp

What you ask is technically impossible. The only one with the ability to redirect traffic sent to you is your ISP itself.

What the router's DDoS protection does is prevent you from DDoSing yourself by sending tons of ACK packets over your generally much slower uplink. Throttling ensures that you don't fill up your upstream with these packets, by throttling their transmission.

What you ask is technically impossible. The only one with the ability to redirect traffic sent to you is your ISP itself.

What the router's DDoS protection does is prevent you from DDoSing yourself by sending tons of ACK packets over your generally much slower uplink. Throttling ensures that you don't fill up your upstream with these packets, by throttling their transmission.

I know its technically impossible just i gave this "strange idea" to show how "serious" company would implement something that is not invented yet unless your part of asus network (asus is ur isp) . They claim to protect against ddos and that would be the only reasonable "ddos protection " as for now however if they added this option and it does nothing and yet they build marketing around it then its even more impossible to treat them seriously than to treat my previous statement as "impossible" to do which should be true considering how asus marking looks like.

What you meant is probably dos protection prevents my router from shutting down in case of ddos attack . My question is why do i need a router without internet and if i want it to not shut down i can uplug wan port and get the same result no need of doing it for me under some weird marketing trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
DOS protection does not shut down anything, it merely throttles sending back ACK packets at 1 per second, preventing you from saturating your uplink.

this firmware has been very stable. its much better than the last two. I even think it's as good as the 5717 firmware. I'm jumping between it and the latest Merlin firmware and for a casual user like me I think can easily live with this firmware.

DOS protection does not shut down anything, it merely throttles sending back ACK packets at 1 per second, preventing you from saturating your uplink.
It does what you said probably ( i dont know technicals ) but for sure i know it wont prevent ddos (tested on myself) attack so jokesus is fishing for money of ppl who believe it does. Same goes for wtfast biggest marketing point for gamers and its performance ( it has nothing to do with actual wtfast program cuz it adds latency on some banana republic hosts when the actual program sometimes decreses ping when routing is bad for some hosts ).

Last edited by a moderator:
jokesus is fishing for money of ppl who believe it does

I don't know of any charity organizations in networking gear. Every manufacturer is after money, this is a business. Making unpleasant comments does not improve or fix anything though. Share your experience and observations, back it up with testing procedures, let others decide what is right or wrong, get yourself what makes you happy. Less hate and more help is what SNB Forums needs.

I don't know of any charity organizations in networking gear. Every manufacturer is after money, this is a business. Making unpleasant comments does not improve or fix anything though. Share your experience and observations, back it up with testing procedures, let others decide what is right or wrong, get yourself what makes you happy. Less hate and more help is what SNB Forums needs.

If i sell you tv because i tell u it has great image sharpness and ull enjoy movies on it and then u cant turn it on in home and it wont work cuz its broken . Do you enjoy beeing scammed ? If yes then say it i wont talk to you again if no dont write useless posts which bring nothing to topic.

but for sure i know it wont prevent ddos

Where does it says it will completely prevent them? Here, my webui states "This feature can protect your router from DOS attacks" when I check the popup help associated with that setting. Which is totally accurate - it can protect you from those attacks, by potentially mitigating their impact. And it will prevent you from self-attacking yourself by preventing you from flooding your own uplink with ack replies on those inbound packets you receive. It doesn't claim to totally prevent attacks. It's a mitigation measure.

Do you enjoy beeing scammed ?

This is the World we live in and this is the new way of doing business. Every single product or service on the market contains % fake claims. Many products are engineered to fail after some use. Many products just don't do what you expect them to do. False advertising is everywhere, it's the new standard. We have to pay premium to get real things. This is how companies survive on the market and make investors happy. We can't do much about it. Again, if you are not happy with your product, replace it with something you think is better. This is what I did few weeks back and about $500 later I'm happy with the results.

P.S. Looking at @RMerlin explanation above, you just had wrong understanding or expectations what this feature does.

Again, if you are not happy with your product, replace it with something you think is better. This is what I did few weeks back and about $500 later I'm happy with the results.
Would be interesting what you did and are happy about now.

Lets be serious if i sell plastic bags i dont recommend them preventing me from open chernobyl reactor radiation even tho i could cuz they probably do in 0.1%. Its a ridiculous example but there should be limit of bull*hit they add as "features" . Also some1 said you need to pay premium for real things so tell me if asus rt86u is not one of the highest quality for routers from jokesus ? I write this to prevent people from buying it if they are beeing cheated by adverts with wtfast or dos protection from asus .

Also what is that censorship :

"This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors."

Writing truth about some "features" can be bad for sales profit?

this firmware has been very stable. its much better than the last two. I even think it's as good as the 5717 firmware. I'm jumping between it and the latest Merlin firmware and for a casual user like me I think can easily live with this firmware.

My 86U 81351 AiMesh router stopped connecting 5.0 GHz clients and node backhaul last night... SSID was still broadcasting... 2.4 GHz still connected. No Trend Micro and no Smart Connect use here... memory and CPU were normal.

Here is the only unusual Log entry that appears a few times over the last few days I looked through:

Code:
Dec 30 09:18:04 kernel: bcm_mcast_mld_add:833 mc_fdb->rep_list ffffffc0138f1968 next ffffffc012c19a20 prev ffffffc012c19a20 rep_entry->list ffffffc012c19a20 next ffffffc0138f1968 prev ffffffc0138f1968
Dec 30 09:18:04 kernel: bcm_mcast_mld_add:833 mc_fdb->rep_list ffffffc0138f1968 next ffffffc012c19a20 prev ffffffc012c19a20 rep_entry->list ffffffc012c19a20 next ffffffc0138f1968 prev ffffffc0138f1968
Dec 30 09:18:05 kernel: bcm_mcast_mld_add:833 mc_fdb->rep_list ffffffc0138f1968 next ffffffc01390bfa0 prev ffffffc01390bfa0 rep_entry->list ffffffc01390bfa0 next ffffffc0138f1968 prev ffffffc0138f1968

A reboot cleared the issue.

OE

Val & Merlin: DFFT.

A bit of a rush to judgement, imo. It's not unreasonable for a new user to rant some while learning the ropes, and more than reasonable when it comes to the quality of Asuswrt releases since 45717... since 21140... since AiMesh.

OE

Sometimes on this fw i lose 5Ghz, i see it but can't connect. Only router reboot can help.
Anyone have this issue ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!