What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U - NEW - Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81792 (14.04.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just imagined some poor sole that just wants to upgrade their router reading all those steps and being totally intimidated and/or confused.

So what! Why must anything be perfect for everyone? Even if it's a total fail... so what! Someone is trying to help. Encourage that! Add to that! Add your own value. Contribute something useful.

OE

This firmware sucks ( wifi performance degrading after 2 days)..went back to 47517.

I have a router running 81792 for 10 days already.
This is my test setup:
Router 1 (Asus 81792) <- modem -> Router 2 (Merlin 384.17)
Routers get separate external IP from the same modem.

I think most people likely never touch their routers,
This firmware sucks ( wifi performance degrading after 2 days)..went back to 47517.

Nothing “degrading” for me, so far the best firmware, fixed channels with Smart Connect, that was missing all along!

The useful contribution was pointing out the help offered is unrelated to Asus stock firmware update.
As per poster:
"The following steps are what I have found to be the fastest and most reliable way to update a router with amtm + swap file + scripts installed"

@Raysus @K-2SO
If you visit here frequently, you'll get used to seeing the "Have you tried the M&M..., follow the link"
You'll get used to it, just read past it.
Not everyone swears by it.

Exactly - you can set fixed DFS channel, but router has to change it when it detects radar signal in that channel range, usually to non-DFS channels (36-48 here in EU), doesn't change back until reboot (at least from my experience).
It depends on manufacturer too, some are more sensitive to this than others.. and some (like Apple in their Airport series) don't allow manual DFS channel selection at all.

The useful contribution was pointing out the help offered is unrelated to Asus stock firmware update.
As per poster:
"The following steps are what I have found to be the fastest and most reliable way to update a router with amtm + swap file + scripts installed"
IMO saving someone from trying to figure out a set of instuctions when it doesn't appy to what they want to do is useful. Apparently it's only considered useful if you agree with the furniture and blindly follow.

@Raysus @K-2SO
If you visit here frequently, you'll get used to seeing the "Have you tried the M&M..., follow the link"
You'll get used to it, just read past it.
Not everyone swears by it.
Good advice.

Update on 81369. 2 days, 15 hours up with no problems. Did have a drop on my MBP late 2015 on 5Ghz early in the first 2 hours. Made a static channel (157) and no drops after that.

Thanks to everyone for the great detail for tips and processes. Culled lots of info on beamforming, roaming, nuking, DFS, M&M and airtime fairness. Awesome forum for info!

Update on 81369. 2 days, 15 hours up with no problems. Did have a drop on my MBP late 2015 on 5Ghz early in the first 2 hours. Made a static channel (157) and no drops after that.

Thanks to everyone for the great detail for tips and processes. Culled lots of info on beamforming, roaming, nuking, DFS, M&M and airtime fairness. Awesome forum for info!

Any other issues with 81369? Any bugs in GUI? It seems anything past 45717 in my AC86U causes drops on my Note 9 (Yes, please dont send me the reset, config from scratch bit as i have been in IT field for 20 yrs o_O

Had my notebook show bad 5GHz performance yesterday...OK after notebook re-boot. Does that point to a notebook (client) or router firmware issue?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!