What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U - NEW - Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81792 (14.04.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That way. You should confirm the file MD5 to be sure it is not corrupt. You should use a UPS to protect power during the flash process. And you should reset to factory defaults afterward before configuring from scratch. Those are the best ways

Why did you downgrade if you like 81792? Did Administration\Firmware\Check require it?

OE

Can I just clarify then, you would recommend downloading the f/w of their website and upgrading that way? I usually just upgrade via the mobile app, would you advise against this?

Additionally, just wanted to know what a dirty upgrade is? Is this an update without the factory reset afterwards?

I went back down to 81369. For the past few days it has been acting up. 5GHz goes down for everyone, 2.4Ghz is ok. The last night 2.4GHz goes down and 5GHz stays up. All lights white, everything looks ok in GUI. Can see WiFi network but can't join. In both scenarios factory reboot fixed it. LAN never went down.

Can I just clarify then, you would recommend downloading the f/w of their website and upgrading that way? I usually just upgrade via the mobile app, would you advise against this?

Additionally, just wanted to know what a dirty upgrade is? Is this an update without the factory reset afterwards?

I upgrade my network firmware using a wired PC and the router webUI, with all on a UPS. I use the router webUI 'upgrade all' button or the manual 'upload' button, depending on what is needed at the time. A downgrade must be done manually.

I'm skeptical of Android and Android apps and the touch interface in general since that platform does whatever the hell it wants whenever it wants without my involvement, so I keep it out of my business when I have a choice. I prefer and trust a traditional wired PC for admin tasks.

Yes, I believe 'dirty upgrade' means you simply upgrade and continue operation as is. A 'clean install' means you upgrade, reset, and configure from scratch.

OE

I went back down to 81369. For the past few days it has been acting up. 5GHz goes down for everyone, 2.4Ghz is ok. The last night 2.4GHz goes down and 5GHz stays up. All lights white, everything looks ok in GUI. Can see WiFi network but can't join. In both scenarios factory reboot fixed it. LAN never went down.
If you go back a version you really need to do a factory reset and reconfigure manually, do not use saved settings unless you have settings from that version.
Also, set your 2.4 and 5 GHZ to fixed channels. 2.4 to 1,,5 or 11 20 MHZ bandwidth. 5 GHZ to 36 0r 149 20, 40, 80 MHZ.
If you want to go back to Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_81792-gdbb995b here is a link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1X-5mnzl48Nh3iHf2Qctr96w7i-7OGLwK?usp=sharing

I upgrade my network firmware using a wired PC and the router webUI, with all on a UPS. I use the router webUI 'upgrade all' button or the manual 'upload' button, depending on what is needed at the time. A downgrade must be done manually.

I'm skeptical of Android and Android apps and the touch interface in general since that platform does whatever the hell it wants whenever it wants without my involvement, so I keep it out of my business when I have a choice. I prefer and trust a traditional wired PC for admin tasks.

Yes, I believe 'dirty upgrade' means you simply upgrade and continue operation as is. A 'clean install' means you upgrade, reset, and configure from scratch.

OE
I agree on using only Ethernet and browser interface for upgrades.

For clean installs I reset before the upgrade as well. Not sure if it would make any difference but the incremental effort is negligible so why not do it.

I agree on using only Ethernet and browser interface for upgrades.

For clean installs I reset before the upgrade as well. Not sure if it would make any difference but the incremental effort is negligible so why not do it.
There is nothing wrong with the Android or Apple app. I upgraded to 3.0.0.4.384_81792 with the Android app (when that version was avaliable) and had no issues. Have used the app to set up AiMesh - no problems.
In some respects the app is safer for non-geeks. Yes, you can still screw up settings but with the app there are fewer choices and the ones there are usually safe enough for most users.

However, I respect your choice to not use the app.

bb

If you go back a version you really need to do a factory reset and reconfigure manually, do not use saved settings unless you have settings from that version.
Also, set your 2.4 and 5 GHZ to fixed channels. 2.4 to 1,,5 or 11 20 MHZ bandwidth. 5 GHZ to 36 0r 149 20, 40, 80 MHZ.
If you want to go back to Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_81792-gdbb995b here is a link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1X-5mnzl48Nh3iHf2Qctr96w7i-7OGLwK?usp=sharing
Common recommendation for 2.4 is 1,6,11. Not 1,5,11
For 5 channel 157 works well for most too in addition to 149.

There is nothing wrong with the Android or Apple app. I upgraded to 3.0.0.4.384_81792 with the Android app (when that version was avaliable) and had no issues. Have used the app to set up AiMesh - no problems.
In some respects the app is safer for non-geeks. Yes, you can still screw up settings but with the app there are fewer choices and the ones there are usually safe enough for most users.

However, I respect your choice to not use the app.

bb
I never said there was anything wrong with the apps. The issue is WiFi vs Ethernet. The Ethernet connection is universally 99.999% reliable and always on whereas the WiFi is less than that. How much less depends on many factors, many of which are specific to your router including the reason(s) you might need to install new firmware in the first place. This forum is full of dropped WiFi complaints. I'd rather not have to worry about that. The Ethernet connection comes back up much faster than WiFi after a reboot as well so there is less waiting.

I could use a USB dongle to connect my phone over Ethernet and use the app but I much prefer using a real keyboard, mouse and larger screen to do anything of importance. Hence my preference for the browser interface on a PC where I can view documentation on one display while working on another display.

Asus app trades security for convenience. It opens access to the router from WAN. I prefer VPN access directly to GUI.

The way Asus routers upgrade themselves, it is safe to use WiFi or wired connections. They upload the firmware to the router, verify it, then proceed with the install.

Still, let's say 'stable' WiFi and 'stable' wired connections are bullet-proof for Asus firmware upgrades. :)

An 'app' isn't the way to do proper upgrades, IMO. You're giving away too much (more than you know) for the small benefit of simply pushing/swiping a button and one that isn't always obvious what it will do next (or, to what).

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r..._8-are-now-available.63636/page-5#post-576336

Having a good/known state of the router and how it got there is half the troubleshooting needed in most cases.

Doing anything with a 'swipe' is leaving room for elephant-sized failures, IME. :)

No AMTM here. You make things look overly complicated, IMHO.

Details tend to do that. :)

Many others seem to think the opposite. :)

I don't know why you're referencing amtm though? :)

The logic behind the guides can be useful for any router user of any firmware if only the directly applicable parts are considered. :)

The logic behind the guides can be useful for any router user of any firmware if only the directly applicable parts are considered. :)

In case the user knows what parts are directly applicable. This is my point. Your guides contain extreme details for users who don't know what they are doing and in the same time you expect same users to know what applies to their setup. I don't get the logic. I work in IT and look at things differently perhaps.

In case the user knows what parts are directly applicable. This is my point. Your guides contain extreme details for users who don't know what they are doing and in the same time you expect same users to know what applies to their setup. I don't get the logic. I work in IT and look at things differently perhaps.
No, your thinking isn't off the mark. I work in IT as well and find that explaining things to clients and executives is more effective if I only give them the facts relevant to their needs, not my needs.

No, your thinking isn't off the mark. I work in IT as well and find that explaining things to clients and executives is more effective if I only give them the facts relevant to their needs, not my needs.

This venue is not work, gents. The help you get is as good as it needs to be for do-it-yourselfers. If you can't make use of it, go find other help. To drop in and complain about it is bad form, imo. Pitch in, if you want to be useful.

OE

@K-2SO I'm not trying to help clients here. I'm offering suggestions that will help users that are willing to learn.

The logic is I'm sharing the processes that have worked for me in the last decade. No guarantees. :)

Even then, in the guides, it is stated or implied that a supported Asus/RMerlin router is what it is directly applicable to. Reading is necessary. :)

I know how IT works too. From the users' perspective, not too well, not too fast and not as applicable as you state it to be either. :)

This venue is not work, gents. The help you get is as good as it needs to be for do-it-yourselfers. If you can't make use of it, go find other help. To drop in and complain about it is bad form, imo. Pitch in, if you want to be useful.

OE
Firstly I'm not seeking help in this case. I understood the instructions in the link just fine. It's precisely in the context of DIY'ers that I'm making a constructive criticism of the instructions. I'm sorry if that critism rustled some feathers, it was certainly not the intention. I just imagined some poor sole that just wants to upgrade their router reading all those steps and being totally intimidated and/or confused.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!