What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U - NEW - Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81792 (14.04.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It’s not just the client list, but that certainly puts doubt in my mind of what else may or may not be working correctly. I’ll keep an eye on it and go from there. I most definitely would like to remain on the latest firmware if possible.

Did you purge logged data or do a dirty upgrade?

I think it helps to let the router settle in some before judging its operation... it seems to improve with time.

OE

So speeds "seem" to be about the same as previous version. Have seen some wonky behavior though. The client list was all freshly labelled and after a reboot went back to showing mac addresses and required another round of labelling all clients. Rebooted again and it retained the 2nd time. Never had that happen before. Couple other odd things here and there. The client list vanishing is enough to make me not trust it and I may revert backwards...I'll sleep on it.

Nothing wrong with maintaining a tidy network...I do, but never had the issue you mentioned. Id like to be up to date on firmware but stability is more important right now. I hope they fix their firmware sooner rather than later.

Looks like the Aiprotection interface has been updated. No more long repeated lists of events.

2020-04-16_10-00-35.jpg

Did you ever turn your AIprotection back on?

No, not yet... one thing at a time seems to work best for networking. I'll turn it on today since nothing else seems be going wrong.

OE

i just noticed a huge cpu spike even when there is no network traffic !! this firmware is not doing well on my router.

Ever have any performance issues with AiP? I usually have it turned off..

Not that I noticed, except:

x 45149 Trend Micro crashes
o 45713,7 OK, excessive Auto ch scanning, Trend Micro consumes memory?

OE

i just noticed a huge cpu spike even when there is no network traffic !! this firmware is not doing well on my router.

If you haven't tried a clean re-install with ample resets, I would do that before making any proclamations.

OE

No, not yet... one thing at a time seems to work best for networking. I'll turn it on today since nothing else seems be going wrong.

OE

Turned it on. RAM increased from 62% to 77%. And I feel so much safer! :D

OE

Found a bug in AiProtection - Malicious Sites Blocking.

I had 30 events with datetime stamp 2020/04/15 23:17.

I hit the delete icon. the events disappeared.

After clicking on Malicious Sites Blocking tab a couple of times, the same 30 events returned with the same datetime stamp. :eek::mad:

rinse. repeat.

Found a bug in AiProtection - Malicious Sites Blocking.

I had 30 events with datetime stamp 2020/04/15 23:17.

I hit the delete icon. the events disappeared.

After clicking on Malicious Sites Blocking tab a couple of times, the same 30 events returned with the same datetime stamp. :eek::mad:

rinse. repeat.

This is kinda along the lines of what I was saying up above about some wonky behavior I am seeing. There seem to be some places that it "forgets" what change you've made or done, move on to another tab, come back and the change has reverted. The places I've experienced it are those that don't have a "save" or "apply" button including the example you gave too.

The new 81792 firmware allows channel selection with Smart Connect enabled.

Looks like I would have to save Smart Connect settings and move to another tab to find the channel setting?

OE

I suspect a new f/w will be issued to address some of these bugs. My 5ghz is set to broadcast on channel 100 but clearly it's showing on a different channel via analysis tools.

Last time I contacted Asus was over 3 weeks ago and the issue then was fixed via this f/w update (although not part of the changelog) so doubt I'd raise another ticket myself.

Worth noting, I tried doing various factory resets with initialization, with no change to issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!