What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U - NEW - Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81792 (14.04.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've always assumed that Smart Connect denies the client from connecting to the lessor band so that the client only has one connection option. Perhaps the client has more options when it doesn't matter which band it connects to if they both yield the same performance.

OE
That’s kinda where you tweak those things on the rules page...that may have changed too with some of these other things that have rolled out.

Performance differences?... all looks good so far. And now rocking same SSIDs with fixed channels.

OE

Yeah changelog mentioned optimized cpu utilization and another user mentioned faster speed.

Although objectively I think you'd only notice differences under high load conditions.

Are guest SSIDs working at a node level yet?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Are guest SSIDs working at a node level yet?

Guest WLANs broadcast from the router/root node only.

OE

Right, so depending on how far the node is away from the main router, you may not be able to connect/roam using the guest SSID

Right, so depending on how far the node is away from the main router, you may not be able to connect/roam using the guest SSID

Node distance from the main router has no affect on the coverage/range of the guest WLANs.

OE

I think he meant to connect repeater-router to guest-Wifi of master router - yes this is possible to extend guest-Wifi only, but not in Aimesh-mode, extended router needs to be set up in repeater mode.

I think he meant to connect repeater-router to guest-Wifi of master router - yes this is possible to extend guest-Wifi only, but not in Aimesh-mode, extended router needs to be set up in repeater mode.
So still no implementation of a Guest SSID roaming from master to Nodes in a AiMesh configuration. Would be nice for this to occur

no, maybe with 386 firmware as Merlin found some code for it in newer firmwares, time will tell us.

no, maybe with 386 firmware as Merlin found some code for it in newer firmwares, time will tell us.
Fingers crossed, and that also a release of 386 is not far away

Turned it on. RAM increased from 62% to 77%. And I feel so much safer! :D

OE
I didn’t realize that aiprotect added that much overhead...about 15%. Someone else I was chatting with experienced the exact same % increase. Core useage went up a tad too on both cores.

If you haven't tried a clean re-install with ample resets, I would do that before making any proclamations.

OE
yep a clean install solved my cpu spikes but my QoS bandwidth monitor speedometer is still not displaying properly. I've attached a picture showing the current speedometer in my previous post.

ugUZjNZ.jpg

is anyone else having the issue ?

I didn’t realize that aiprotect added that much overhead...about 15%. Someone else I was chatting with experienced the exact same % increase. Core useage went up a tad too on both cores.

Yep...just turned it on for the 1st time...ram jumped same %...61% to 74%...will tested it out for a couple of days to insure no network impact :)

Logs have much much less of the wclevent stuff in there now. Seems to be running fine no issues. Network seems a little sluggish, will have to test a little more. May be general internet slowness given current world events.
Now that's it's been a few days, are the WCLEVENT log entries still minimal, or is it necessary to reset the log_level? Also, is the WiFi connection stability now equal to, or better than, 45717?

I've tried the smart connnect again with manual channels and have encountered an issue with 5Ghz dropping. Reverted back to latest merlin for now, using seperate SSID's

Now that's it's been a few days, are the WCLEVENT log entries still minimal, or is it necessary to reset the log_level? Also, is the WiFi connection stability now equal to, or better than, 45717?

I suggest you install it and find out. You seem to have particular conditions that only you or your clients will know.

OE

I've tried the smart connnect again with manual channels and have encountered an issue with 5Ghz dropping. Reverted back to latest merlin for now, using seperate SSID's

How do you know when 5GHz is dropping?
We have 8 iOS devices working mainly OK with Smart Connect now but noticed that one iPhone 6s connected to 2.4Ghz when I came into the house and then stayed on 2.4GHz even after I put it right beside the router...
Turning Off/On Wi-Fi on that iPhone made it connect to 5GHz immediately... Newer iPhone's have no trouble...

My daughter just came home, her iPhone 7 (with latest iOS) connected to 2.4 GHz initially, after two minutes was on 5 GHz automatically (Smart Connect active).. the oldest iOS/iPadOS device we have is iPad Air 2 (and then mentioned iPhone 7), also without any issues.

How do you know when 5GHz is dropping?
We have 8 iOS devices working mainly OK with Smart Connect now but noticed that one iPhone 6s connected to 2.4Ghz when I came into the house and then stayed on 2.4GHz even after I put it right beside the router...
Turning Off/On Wi-Fi on that iPhone made it connect to 5GHz immediately... Newer iPhone's have no trouble...

My Note9 after 10 minutes on any firmware passed 47517 will drop 5ghz signal for 2 to 3 seconds and reconnect..that how you can tell their dropping.

My Note9 after 10 minutes on any firmware passed 47517 will drop 5ghz signal for 2 to 3 seconds and reconnect..that how you can tell their dropping.

You notice this when websites won't load or Wi-Fi calls get interrupted or in log entries? Just wondering.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!