What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U - NEW - Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81792 (14.04.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Looks like I would have to save Smart Connect settings and move to another tab to find the channel setting?

OE
At the bottom of the page where you turn Smart Connect ON, Wireless/General. Both 2.4g and 5g are now separated. I haven't actually tried to set the control channels, but in previous firmware the only option was auto.

for DFS channels you cant set channel per definition, only a prefered channel, maybe they only need to rename this field.

At the bottom of the page where you turn Smart Connect ON, Wireless/General. Both 2.4g and 5g are now separated. I haven't actually tried to set the control channels, but in previous firmware the only option was auto.

Duh, sorry, I failed to scroll down! :oops: (Yeah, I'm still running 1024x768 on an Eizo LCD that looks as good as the day I bought it in 12/2003.)

You are right, of course.

So, Asus, that's a surprise... I wonder what it means in the development scheme of things.

I guess I'll try it... the elusive holy grail of a single SSID beckons!

OE

for DFS channels you cant set channel per definition, only a prefered channel, maybe they only need to rename this field.

I have used channel 100 before and it was working fine before the update. This was also with the auto channel select unticked. Has this now changed then?

Duh, sorry, I failed to scroll down! :oops: (Yeah, I'm still running 1024x768 on an Eizo LCD that looks as good as the day I bought it in 12/2003.)

So, Asus, that's a surprise... I wonder what it means in the development scheme of things.

OE
Really solid for me. Devices switch networks smoothly with no hiccups. I do however recommend lowering the power on any node devices. I did at one point set my second node to AP mode but I discovered that IOT devices like smart switches can not be isolated from my main network while connected to an AP even on the AP Guest network. So I configured my AP back to a Router and added the routes manually. Now my IOT devices on my second device can be isolated. All IOT devices are on Guest networks that are isolated from Main network.

OE
So what advantages are there using smart connect now that they’ve enabled user channel selection? It still band steers the way it always has I assume. I’ve never had any luck with devices going to the band I wanted them to. The great thing is stability of the channels not auto changing all the time

So what advantages are there using smart connect now that they’ve enabled user channel selection? It still band steers the way it always has I assume. I’ve never had any luck with devices going to the band I wanted them to.
The advantage of smart connect for me is that when I move outside the house farther from 5g it auto connects to the 2g and back to 5g when I move back in. This is good for guests and family who are not techies. The different SSID names can be confusing. They don't have to actually connect manually to the 2g or vise versa.
I have been using Smart Connect with the auto channel selection for a few months now. Rock solid with no problems. NO channel ping pong. If you are experiencing the ping pong, a static channel could be beneficial. If your read up a few posts, I listed the steps I used to stabilize my router.(Possibly the Previous Page) Thanks go out to a lot of help on this forum!

So what advantages are there using smart connect now that they’ve enabled user channel selection? It still band steers the way it always has I assume. I’ve never had any luck with devices going to the band I wanted them to. The great thing is stability of the channels not auto changing all the time

No luck here either. I've always set channels manually with SmartConect turned off. For the most part, my devices stay connected at 2.4 and 5 ghz bands without me having to manually change the band.

When I used Smart Connect, it was elegant and worked. If it doesn't work, you can blame the client... if they want all the glory, they should take all the blame. Although AiMesh may have been rough and user placement of nodes and signal path play some role. But my main SC complaint has been Auto channels, and then spamming the Log... changing channels all of the time is not elegant and it does disrupt wireless clients.

So for me, it's worth trying same SSIDs again WITH fixed channels. If my clients behave... connect to the better band when they should... they may roam better, too, and my WiFi will look very fashionable to my discriminating neighbors, the most important reason... everything is 99% fashion... if you don't look good, why bother. :)

The Orbis around here use same SSIDs... AiMesh needs to keep up with the Orbis!

OE

Last edited:
I have used channel 100 before and it was working fine before the update. This was also with the auto channel select unticked. Has this now changed then?
Has ever been, ch 100 is in DFS range an must be cleared if other signals are detected.
But they changed something in code too, as it is now possible to set fix channel despite SC-mode.

Last edited:
When I used Smart Connect, it was elegant and worked. If it doesn't work, you can blame the client... if they want all the glory, they should take all the blame. Although AiMesh may have been rough and user placement of nodes and signal path play some role. But my main SC complaint has been Auto channels, and then spamming the Log... changing channels all of the time is not elegant and it does disrupt wireless clients.

So for me, it's worth trying same SSIDs again WITH fixed channels. If my clients behave... connect to the better band when they should... they may roam better, too, and my WiFi will look very fashionable to my discriminating neighbors, the most important reason... everything is 99% fashion... if you don't look good, why bother. :)

The Orbis around here use same SSIDs... AiMesh needs to keep up with the Orbis!

OE
My thoughts - I think that for someone using just the single router with no ap’s, smart connect doesn’t offer anything. You can still set a single SSID and clients should work properly. The smart connect trying to force a client is ultimately going to end with the client still doing what it wants to anyway with the one SSID scenario.

I look forward to seeing your results though :)

My thoughts - I think that for someone using just the single router with no ap’s, smart connect doesn’t offer anything. You can still set a single SSID and clients should work properly. The smart connect trying to force a client is ultimately going to end with the client still doing what it wants to anyway with the one SSID scenario.

I look forward to seeing your results though :)

Smart Connect is band steering (not node steering)... steering the client to the better band. Smart Connect can steer a client to the better band of a standalone router.

I'll switch to same SSIDs as soon as Gov. Cuomo finishes streaming his daily report to the nation.

OE

Smart Connect is band steering (not node steering)... steering the client to the better band. Smart Connect can steer a client to the better band of a standalone router.

I'll switch to same SSIDs as soon as Gov. Cuomo finishes streaming his daily report to the nation.

OE
I’m aware of that. The fact remains the client will move where it wants to if it can. In this case two bands same SSID. Smart connect can move it but client will move again if it wants to. You can of course play with the smart connect rules, but ultimately the client still goes where it wants.

he’s repeating what he said yesterday...

Last edited:
I’m aware of that. The fact remains the client will move where it wants to if it can. In this case two bands same SSID. Smart connect can move it but client will move again if it wants to.

Not to get political but at least you nyer aren't storming the capital like the knuckleheads in Michigan :)

And yes no smart connect for me either. In the end the client will always choose best connection and that's been my experience as well.

Update was not on the Asus US website. Was able to upgrade via the Android app as a test.
Have switched from Merlin to Asus official and feel that performance is a bit better with official and QOS seems to work better.

Before and after benchmarks, do you have any?

So far, so good with a dirty upgrade. Logs are quiet. Wireless backhaul is as good as ever. WLAN signals are good. Cores are calm. RAM is 61% with no AiProtection and 52% free on 1TB USB 2.0 mode HDD.

OE
Any perf differences?

I’m aware of that. The fact remains the client will move where it wants to if it can. In this case two bands same SSID. Smart connect can move it but client will move again if it wants to. You can of course play with the smart connect rules, but ultimately the client still goes where it wants.

I've always assumed that Smart Connect denies the client from connecting to the lessor band so that the client only has one connection option. Perhaps the client has more options when it doesn't matter which band it connects to if they both yield the same performance.

OE

Not to get political but at least you nyer aren't storming the capital like the knuckleheads in Michigan :)

And yes no smart connect for me either. In the end the client will always choose best connection and that's been my experience as well.
I was watching videos of those morons last night.

Wearing face masks and proclaiming they aren't scared of covid hahahah

Any perf differences?

Performance differences?... all looks good so far. And now rocking same SSIDs with fixed channels.

OE

Not much has changed since yesterday... sticking to the facts and staying on message is good leadership.

OE