What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U - NEW - Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81792 (14.04.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think you have a general responsibility to the community here to not suggest a defect if you don't know one to exist and when you have a plausible explanation to the contrary, that there is no defect. Otherwise, you're just piling on with likely misinformation and undermining your own credibility. By this, you decide who you are.

OE
All good, just saying I am only a user, no IT expert and for me playing with the router firmware is just a "fun thing" and no serious business...
Noticed the channel 64 got somehow overruled or changed by itself with this new firmware....

All good, just saying I am only a user, no IT expert and for me playing with the router firmware is just a "fun thing" and no serious business...
Noticed the channel 64 got somehow overruled or changed by itself with this new firmware....

here’s an old article on DFS channels.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/bas...r-s-wi-fi-dynamic-frequency-selection-dfs-faq

This is why your “set” channel 64 that you picked got overruled as you say. You can pick non DFS channels and they should stay set.

Last edited:
here’s an old article on DFS channels.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/bas...r-s-wi-fi-dynamic-frequency-selection-dfs-faq

This is why your “set” channel 64 that you picked got overruled as you say. You can pick non DFS channels if you wish, just untick the DFS option box next to the drop down by your channel selections. Then you’ll see only non DFS channels. They should stay and not change. Be sure and do a reboot after making channel changes just for the hell of it

Don't see DFS option with 3.0.0.4.384.81792?

PUTjT1qEHAK9blQPk2VwLvKnP829viplZx-NyMYVOOc8ki5eKSMH-ITOc0MIhJaNRQoxaTeqJVhZVLRsn9txq7z3mzsp9wh4xVl3861EzeOGPqxkCJe-vf2MbAkGMGPudluyCk6C8qXF6Z0mpzjL8DWn-BP5lAjIsfujBzGzPErZUQjibtxoeGb6ILujUNMglBYjYFi-XI5buBHzm7zfJST2w4cmpXcTu8iBNLu60QtpHHHCKbDfgaxExnosh_N7Ce8xneZ6jg6ZBQJE09msCy_uh8gHgYoG3ZJ_JasiM9eQBRBLiBAKfuPa1IWDW8UIjGj7kzfOQUAFfdeRExhDx4yIgfdR065fbWOpwln7Jf5feY5ulB9rO7yE1ipVb0bzg1q8ui9WfPuV6jjQYMWDwEXIBm2_fwGNLXWnDZxl5upFGZdNwyaUke6EXzZuHcu07bCUXd_rWIHO2hl3jJOJJjFPZAdzss3f443zgiwaG3NlDN9w6UnUEn41y5PiK5q3DMR_Kfliqdgl6zDe9Jsv8Klti9aVpsA18Wl2Q7Nuk_dC8Q0Wro8-sr19Z3dJ4zFh0aXgF2DBpY9Qq7KIuZJpxPAgzJ8Nl3JAhuNGZsLxa6gc2CJ0BYzehRZ6uxOXLFOJyHmmxcge9whhJQdGMS1-6swptBsppj-G3CrmokDqxKcueI1Mk5PrM2iBjAQAkQ=w872-h935-no

Don't see DFS option with 3.0.0.4.384.81792?

PUTjT1qEHAK9blQPk2VwLvKnP829viplZx-NyMYVOOc8ki5eKSMH-ITOc0MIhJaNRQoxaTeqJVhZVLRsn9txq7z3mzsp9wh4xVl3861EzeOGPqxkCJe-vf2MbAkGMGPudluyCk6C8qXF6Z0mpzjL8DWn-BP5lAjIsfujBzGzPErZUQjibtxoeGb6ILujUNMglBYjYFi-XI5buBHzm7zfJST2w4cmpXcTu8iBNLu60QtpHHHCKbDfgaxExnosh_N7Ce8xneZ6jg6ZBQJE09msCy_uh8gHgYoG3ZJ_JasiM9eQBRBLiBAKfuPa1IWDW8UIjGj7kzfOQUAFfdeRExhDx4yIgfdR065fbWOpwln7Jf5feY5ulB9rO7yE1ipVb0bzg1q8ui9WfPuV6jjQYMWDwEXIBm2_fwGNLXWnDZxl5upFGZdNwyaUke6EXzZuHcu07bCUXd_rWIHO2hl3jJOJJjFPZAdzss3f443zgiwaG3NlDN9w6UnUEn41y5PiK5q3DMR_Kfliqdgl6zDe9Jsv8Klti9aVpsA18Wl2Q7Nuk_dC8Q0Wro8-sr19Z3dJ4zFh0aXgF2DBpY9Qq7KIuZJpxPAgzJ8Nl3JAhuNGZsLxa6gc2CJ0BYzehRZ6uxOXLFOJyHmmxcge9whhJQdGMS1-6swptBsppj-G3CrmokDqxKcueI1Mk5PrM2iBjAQAkQ=w872-h935-no

My bad I think the option only shows when Auto is chosen.
My post above edited to keep confusion out of the thread sorry

regardless you have the link explaining DFS.

Last edited:
My bad I think the option only shows when Auto is chosen.
My post above edited to keep confusion out of the thread sorry

regardless you have the link explaining DFS.

Seems to work fine now, I learnt that is probably best to use the first channels in the 5GHz band 36, 40, 44 or 48.

It would be nice to know the reason this was pulled and if users should roll back due to some security issue discovered.
Well, I for one am satisfied with Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_81792-gdbb995b and do not plan to roll back. When Asus does release a new version I will upgrade and compare features/performance and go back to 384_81792 if I am not pleased with the new version.
Did not think I would ever use Smart Connect but it works well for me. The Adaptive QOS also seems to be improved.
I did notice in the logs that the router checks for firmware update sometime after 0300 daily. Does anyone know if Asus implemented auto firmware upgrade?
I feel that I need to say that after a long run with Merlin firmware I went back to the Asus stock. While Merlin does a great job, in the current environment I need to think of my family if something happens to me (old guy). Most of my friends who do network stuff would not understand, or care about, the settings I used in Merlin. My setup for using DoT on stock firmware does not change any router settings and ejecting the thumb drive or rebooting the router without the thumb drive puts the router back to "normal" operation. Also, I have not changed any of the factory Professional WIFI settings.

I went from 81792 to 81369, which is today's official, it really is a downgrade...

What was wrong with that 81792?

I have always upgraded my RT-AC2900 by administration - firmware upgrade - look for firmware upgrade, but how do I do a clean install? Are there several ways to do this?

When I went from 81792 to 81369 I have to download the file from ASUS, unzipped it and loaded up to the router.

What is the best way to do it?

When I went from 81792 to 81369 I have to download the file from ASUS, unzipped it and loaded up to the router.

What is the best way to do it?

That way. You should confirm the file MD5 to be sure it is not corrupt. You should use a UPS to protect power during the flash process. And you should reset to factory defaults afterward before configuring from scratch. Those are the best ways.

Why did you downgrade if you like 81792? Did Administration\Firmware\Check require it?

OE

Well, I for one am satisfied with Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_81792-gdbb995b and do not plan to roll back. When Asus does release a new version I will upgrade and compare features/performance and go back to 384_81792 if I am not pleased with the new version.
Did not think I would ever use Smart Connect but it works well for me. The Adaptive QOS also seems to be improved.
I did notice in the logs that the router checks for firmware update sometime after 0300 daily. Does anyone know if Asus implemented auto firmware upgrade?
I feel that I need to say that after a long run with Merlin firmware I went back to the Asus stock. While Merlin does a great job, in the current environment I need to think of my family if something happens to me (old guy). Most of my friends who do network stuff would not understand, or care about, the settings I used in Merlin. My setup for using DoT on stock firmware does not change any router settings and ejecting the thumb drive or rebooting the router without the thumb drive puts the router back to "normal" operation. Also, I have not changed any of the factory Professional WIFI settings.

I've noticed for quite awhile that the auto firmware check runs each morning like that. I've never actually seen it auto "update" though, just check. I've had my doubts about how well that works too. I've actually been on older firmware at one time or another when a new version has been out awhile. The log will show it checking each morning and then saying no update available...when I know that to not be true.

That way. You should confirm the file MD5 to be sure it is not corrupt. You should use a UPS to protect power during the flash process. And you should reset to factory defaults afterward before configuring from scratch. Those are the best ways.

Why did you downgrade if you like 81792? Did Administration\Firmware\Check require it?

OE

I thought there was something wrong with it since it has been removed from official sites.

I thought there was something wrong with it since it has been removed from official sites.

Probably. By my experience, there's something wrong with every firmware they release.

OE

Probably. By my experience, there's something wrong with every firmware they release.

OE
And to be honest, if it works, just leave it alone :)
For me 3.0.0.4.384.81792 is almost perfect, I mean I have zero complaints.

If history is any indication they would not have pulled the update if it was mearly a bug(s) in a feature(s). The only motivation for pulling it I can think of is a new security vulnerability they might of introduced. Just a guess and not based on any evidence.

If history is any indication they would not have pulled the update if it was mearly a bug(s) in a feature(s). The only motivation for pulling it I can think of is a new security vulnerability they might of introduced. Just a guess and not based on any evidence.
That’s exactly my thoughts too. If so, they’re taking their time releasing a fix or at least a statement to rollback

Can't add more than 30 static reservation in this fw.....
First i make dirty upgrade from earlier fw, but now i make factory default and configure all manually. So now i found this bug.

After router restart loosing all reservation. I back to earlier version

Anyone still running this version? I'm on 384.12 with aiprotect on amd for the 1st time ever my 5ghz radio turned off. I had to reboot router and turn off aiprotection as I think it was causing some strange issues this is on a newly received 2019 router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!