What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U - NEW - Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81792 (14.04.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Really solid for me. Devices switch networks smoothly with no hiccups. I do however recommend lowering the power on any node devices. I did at one point set my second node to AP mode but I discovered that IOT devices like smart switches can not be isolated from my main network while connected to an AP even on the AP Guest network. So I configured my AP back to a Router and added the routes manually. Now my IOT devices on my second device can be isolated. All IOT devices are on Guest networks that are isolated from Main network.

Can you explain how to set up routes manually?

Noticed that the firmware-file is over 4MiB smaller than most of the previous versions.
The firmware wasn't this "small" since the 382-days.
How come?

Noticed that the firmware-file is over 4MiB smaller than most of the previous versions.
How come?

No idea... maybe they are calling it done and took out diagnostic code... next release to be AiMesh 2.0 code.

OE

AiMesh 2.0?

Exactly... AiMesh 2.0? Our wish list... guest WLANs on remote nodes; support for standard roaming protocols; add your own wish here.

OE

Exactly... AiMesh 2.0? Our wish list... guest WLANs on remote nodes; support for standard roaming protocols; add your own wish here.

OE
Hmm... Sounds like a good reason to stay on the "official" fw. Now, to finish the add on project for official...

Edit: If anyone is interested I have Stubby DoT running on stock Asus firmware. Seems to be working well.

Last edited:
How come?

Probably because they recently removed a 4-5 MB large animated GIF that served as tutorial for Traffic Analyzer.

OE
Another couple of wishes, Rebooting of nodes via the web gui, adjustable power levels at nodes

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

OE

For all those things, please?

Another couple of wishes, Rebooting of nodes via the web gui, adjustable power levels at nodes

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yes and yes.

Both things are very annoying.

I set the 5Ghz channel to 64 but when checking today with Wifi Analyzer and in the wireless log the primary channel is 48
Why?

I set the 5Ghz channel to 64 but when checking today with Wifi Analyzer and in the wireless log the primary channel is 48
Why?

Channel 36 A Band
Channel 40 A Band
Channel 44 A Band
Channel 48 A Band
Channel 52 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 56 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 60 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 64 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 100 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 104 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 108 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 112 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 116 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 132 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 136 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 140 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 149 A Band
Channel 153 A Band
Channel 157 A Band
Channel 161 A Band
Channel 165 A Band

Maybe the router detected radar interference and chose to overrule you. I suggest you try 149 and above. If you have AiMesh wireless backhauls, stay on the channel that settles to the best RSSI/Tx/Rx values in the Wireless Log. For me, that is 153.

OE

Channel 36 A Band
Channel 40 A Band
Channel 44 A Band
Channel 48 A Band
Channel 52 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 56 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 60 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 64 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 100 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 104 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 108 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 112 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 116 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 132 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 136 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 140 A Band, RADAR Sensitive, Passive
Channel 149 A Band
Channel 153 A Band
Channel 157 A Band
Channel 161 A Band
Channel 165 A Band

Maybe the router detected radar interference and chose to overrule you. I suggest you try 149 and above. If you have AiMesh wireless backhauls, stay on the channel that settles to the best RSSI/Tx/Rx values in the Wireless Log. For me, that is 153.

OE

Interesting! After scanning with Wifi-Analzyer channel 64 was suggested... was surprised the router would override this..
I changed it back to 64...

Last edited:
Interesting! After scanning with Wifi-Analzyer channel 64 was suggested... was surprised the router would override this..

My WiFi Analyzer ALWAYS recommends the channel I am not using. I've ignored it since day one.

The router is doing the actual radio work to FCC standards... if it decides something, I would be inclined to respect this first.

OE

My WiFi Analyzer ALWAYS recommends the channel I am not using. I've ignored it since day one.

The router is doing the actual radio work to FCC standards... if it decides something, I would be inclined to respect this first.

OE
Which Wifi analyser do you use?

Which Wifi analyser do you use?

In my case I use the free Microsoft Wifi-Analyzer and like it, idea is to scan neigboring networks and select channels to reduce interference, not sure why I would ignore the recommendations, seems counterproductive?
I was just interested why my manual channel selection (with Smart Connect enabled) in the new firmware would still be overwritten by Asus.
Instead of 64 now moved to 36 and the wireless log so far has it stick to primary channel 36 (5GHz)...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!