What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U - NEW - Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81792 (14.04.2020)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ulf Thingnæs

Occasional Visitor
Found it under GUI update.

upload_2020-4-14_12-12-54.png

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81792
- Release Note -

Bug fixes and improvement:
- Improved connection stability.
- Optimized CPU utilization.

Update was not on the Asus US website. Was able to upgrade via the Android app as a test.
Have switched from Merlin to Asus official and feel that performance is a bit better with official and QOS seems to work better.

Upgraded my RT-AC86U AiMesh node this morning via firmware upgrade button within the Web UI. So far no problems.

My RT-AC68U AiMesh nodes also updated to version 3.0.0.4.385_20433-g3f7796b this morning. I believe the release notes are the same for the 68U.

So far, so good with a dirty upgrade. Logs are quiet. Wireless backhaul is as good as ever. WLAN signals are good. Cores are calm. RAM is 61% with no AiProtection and 52% free on 1TB USB 2.0 mode HDD.

OE

I don't use it but Gear Accelerator seems to retain devices you input now.

Found it under GUI update.

View attachment 22667

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384_81792
- Release Note -

Bug fixes and improvement:
- Improved connection stability.
- Optimized CPU utilization.

Logs have much much less of the wclevent stuff in there now. Seems to be running fine no issues. Network seems a little sluggish, will have to test a little more. May be general internet slowness given current world events.

So far, so good with a dirty upgrade. Logs are quiet. Wireless backhaul is as good as ever. WLAN signals are good. Cores are calm. RAM is 61% with no AiProtection and 52% free on 1TB USB 2.0 mode HDD.

OE
Dirty upgrade from which version? Do you think upgrading from 45717 is to much of a jump without a reset?

Dirty upgrade from which version? Do you think upgrading from 45717 is to much of a jump without a reset?

Of course, I don't know for sure, but I would definitely reset and do a clean install.

From my notes:
o 21140 OK
x 32797,9 remote node client connection/speed degrades
x 45149 Trend Micro crashes
o 45713,7 OK, excessive Auto ch scanning, Trend Micro consumes memory
x 81039 excessive Auto ch scanning, webUI lock up, erratic CPUs, new RA defaults
o 81049 OK, excessive Auto ch scanning
o 81351,2 OK
o 81369 OK
o 81792 OK

I did a dirty upgrade for the last three. I think that would have been sufficient but the preceding reset momentum and troubleshooting USB 3.0 mode interference caused me to reset 81369. But that trouble was USB 3.0 mode interference... things have been noticeably smoother with USB 2.0 mode (I use an older 2.4 mobile around the property... it's been solid).

It's beginning to feel like AiMesh has finally arrived for the 86U. I'll not reset 81792 unless something comes up.

OE

Last edited:
Game Device Prioritizing seems to be fixed, however upon addressing some issues, they have managed to break (or at least change) some things on the channel selection.

2.4 GHz - Channel Bandwidth seems to be fine, however when selecting a different channel, any net analyzer tool (android or pc) is showing I am on channel 4, regardless what I change this to from the routers GUI.

5 GHz - When manually selecting the channel, the box titled "Auto select channel including DFS channels" no longer unticks by default. Strange one this as all previous f/w's unticked this automatically from experience, when manually selecting channel. My net analyzer is now showing I am on channel 48 when I had set this to 100 in the router.

Interestingly though, I have just manually unticked "Auto select channel including DFS channels" in the 5GHz menu and now I am showing to the be on the correct 2.4GHz channel via the analyzer. Unfortunately, in doing so, I am now showing to be on channel 36 on the 5GHz band, when in fact the routers GUI shows 100.

Just as I thought progress was being made.

Last edited:
my QoS bandwidth monitor is looking a bit .....different Than before :D

ugUZjNZ.jpg

Game Device Prioritizing seems to be fixed, however upon addressing some issues, they have managed to break (or at least change) some things on the channel selection.

2.4 GHz - Channel Bandwidth seems to be fine, however when selecting a different channel, any net analyzer tool (android or pc) is showing I am on channel 4, regardless what I change this to from the routers GUI.

5 GHz - When manually selecting the channel, the box titled "Auto select channel including DFS channels" no longer unticks by default. Strange one this as all previous f/w's unticked this automatically from experience, when manually selecting channel. My net analyzer is now showing I am on channel 48 when I had set this to 100 in the router.

Interestingly though, I have just manually unticked "Auto select channel including DFS channels" in the 5GHz menu and now I am showing to the be on the correct 2.4GHz channel via the analyzer. Unfortunately, in doing so, I am now showing to be on channel 36 on the 5GHz band, when in fact the routers GUI shows 100.

Just as I thought progress was being made.

For odd behavior, I would clean re-install the firmware.

Here's a pic of my US router settings:
50 WiFi.png

OE

Interested on how I would go about re-installing the same f/w. I assume this would have to be forced on at this point?

Just wondering if anyone else is having odd behavior before I try forcing firmware on the router.

You don't force anything. You download (https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC86U/HelpDesk_BIOS/) and unzip/extract the firmware. Ideally, confirm the health of the extracted firmware file using an MD5 utility such as https://www.winmd5.com/?rid=winmd5. Then upload the firmware to the router. Ideally, the router is on a UPS to protect from power events during the firmware upload.

Then reset w/Initialize the firmware a few times from within the webUI and configure it from scratch. Feel free to add a power OFF/ON cycle to keep things fresh.

OE

Logs have much much less of the wclevent stuff in there now. Seems to be running fine no issues. Network seems a little sluggish, will have to test a little more. May be general internet slowness given current world events.

Good to know, although I'm on Merlin 384.12 based on Asus 45713 (had to skip the last 4 firmwares due to this and my 5ghz instability) How's the wifi performance?

Last edited:
Good to know, although I'm on Merlin 384.12 based on Asus 45713 (had to skip the last 4 firmwares due to this and my 5ghz instability) How's the wifi performance?
I’m watching it closely. Initial impression was things were a hare slower, but not so sure now. Will monitor and post back later.

You don't force anything. You download (https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC86U/HelpDesk_BIOS/) and unzip/extract the firmware. Ideally, confirm the health of the extracted firmware file using an MD5 utility such as https://www.winmd5.com/?rid=winmd5. Then upload the firmware to the router. Ideally, the router is on a UPS to protect from power events during the firmware upload.

Then reset w/Initialize the firmware a few times from within the webUI and configure it from scratch. Feel free to add a power OFF/ON cycle to keep things fresh.

OE

I got the message to "re-boot router manually" after this firmware update. All good.
Just switched off the Smart Connect and gave the two bands separate SSID's, so much better now! My IP cams are staying connected and all iOS devices incl. Apple TV's are prefectly fine with 5GHz. Used free Microsoft Wifi-Analyzer to get proper channel recommendations. Super nice tool.

I’m watching it closely. Initial impression was things were a hare slower, but not so sure now. Will monitor and post back later.

So speeds "seem" to be about the same as previous version. Have seen some wonky behavior though. The client list was all freshly labelled and after a reboot went back to showing mac addresses and required another round of labelling all clients. Rebooted again and it retained the 2nd time. Never had that happen before. Couple other odd things here and there. The client list vanishing is enough to make me not trust it and I may revert backwards...I'll sleep on it.

So speeds "seem" to be about the same as previous version. Have seen some wonky behavior though. The client list was all freshly labelled and after a reboot went back to showing mac addresses and required another round of labelling all clients. Rebooted again and it retained the 2nd time. Never had that happen before. Couple other odd things here and there. The client list vanishing is enough to make me not trust it and I may revert backwards...I'll sleep on it.

My client list is accurate... 6+2+6=14 clients connected. I never bother labeling clients... life is too short. The default labels are adequate... only a Roku Ultra was labeled by its MAC.

I keep an offline MAC list (in KeePass2) so that I can always investigate a device.

I think it would be silly to revert over the client list, of all things... it's notoriously unimportant. Get some sleep! :D

OE

My client list is accurate... 6+2+6=14 clients connected. I never bother labeling clients... life is too short. The default labels are adequate... only a Roku Ultra was labeled by its MAC.

I keep an offline MAC list (in KeePass2) so that I can always investigate a device.

I think it would be silly to revert over the client list, of all things... it's notoriously unimportant. Get some sleep! :D

OE
It’s not just the client list, but that certainly puts doubt in my mind of what else may or may not be working correctly. I’ll keep an eye on it and go from there. I most definitely would like to remain on the latest firmware if possible.