What's new

Asus RT-AC86U setup issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kiiran_B

Occasional Visitor
Hey all, first post here so go easy, I'm a noob.

Recently got a 86U and I'm trying to set it up for fibre internet. I have a DM200 modem from Netgear but I can't get the Asus router to hold a connection long enough even on the GUI. It keeps cutting out with a red WAN light. I've had to reset the router every time I try to set it up.

The modem is set to modem only mode and the DHCP server option is turned off.

The Asus GUI is also very slow. When windows troubleshoots the network it says there is a DNS issue.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks

Hi @Kiiran_B and welcome to SNB!

This section of the forum is for wired routers only.

For faster response better post your question in "ASUS AC Routers & Adapters" section here:
https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asus-ac-routers-adapters.47/

In case you run Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on your router, the right place to ask questions is here:
https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

Ah sweet! Thanks for that, I don't want to double post, so could an admin move this over?

Make sure you follow the setup instructions described in the RT-AC86U User Guide:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC86U/E15867_RT-AC86U_UM_v4_WEB.pdf

I followed the instructions, but it seems that as soon as setup is done there is not connection to the router through wireless or through LAN and the internet light is solid red. I've tried factory resetting plenty of times, but it doesn't help.

I'm with talk talk fibre, is there anything I'm supposed to do while setting up?

I'm with talk talk fibre

I have no idea what talk talk fibre is.
This is an international forum, don't expect everyone to know your local ISPs.

Is this the modem?
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/DM200.aspx
Is it working as a modem only or as a modem/router?

Is this your ISP? Have you read this?
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383
Setup depends on how the modem works, as modem only or as modem/router.

I have no idea what talk talk fibre is.
This is an international forum, don't expect everyone to know your local ISPs.

Is this the modem?
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/DM200.aspx
Is it working as a modem only or as a modem/router?

Is this your ISP? Have you read this?
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383
Setup depends on how the modem works, as modem only or as modem/router.

Hey, thanks for keeping me right.

That is the modem that I'm using. It's set to modem only mode, and with DHCP server turned off. I have tried the VLAN passthrough activated and deactivated but there's no difference.

That is my provider and I have seen that page and tried to follow it to no avail.

It's set to modem only mode, and with DHCP server turned off.

Then your router has to establish the connection, the ISP modem is just a bridge in this case. You have to check your ISP settings and apply them on the router. See the information provided on ISPs website, has to be correct in theory.

Other option is to keep the ISP modem in modem/router mode and connect your router's WAN port to one of the modem's LAN ports. Your router will create a new network in a different subnet, but everything attached to it should be working properly. You may put your router's IP address in DMZ on the ISP modem/router (the IP assigned from ISPs modem to your router, your WAN IP on your router), if that option is available. ISPs modem/router and your router must have different IP addresses (LAN IP), for example 192.168.1.1 for the modem, 192.168.2.1 for your router, otherwise you'll get IP conflict issues. DHCP on both must be enabled. You won't be able to use DDNS on your router though, unless you install Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on it.

Last edited:
Then your router has to establish the connection, the ISP modem is just a bridge. You have to check your ISP settings and apply them on the router. See the information provided on ISPs website.

The modem wasn't provided by the ISP, I'll try to put the settings in again.

The other problem is that the router's web GUI is extremely slow, changing to Https doesn't speed it up, any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks

Was this modem working before on the same ISP?

What firmware version is currently installed on this router?

Yeah, I used this modem with a Netgear router no problem, and that router didn't need any special setup, automatic setup was perfectly fine.

The router is up to date I'm sure, I had to upgrade the firmware after a reset today.

Yeah, I used this modem with a Netgear router no problem, and that router didn't need any special setup, automatic setup was perfectly fine.

That means the modem was working in modem/router mode and the ISP settings were applied there. This is why your Netgear router was working with WAN Connection Type - Automatic IP. The modem/router assigns an IP to the second router, that IP becomes WAN IP for the second router. You can do exactly the same setup with your ASUS router.

That means the modem was working in modem/router mode and the ISP settings were applied there. This is why your Netgear router was working with WAN Connection Type - Automatic IP. The modem/router assigns an IP to the second router, that IP becomes WAN IP for the second router. You can do exactly the same setup with your ASUS router.

Okay thanks! Should I disable DHCP on the modem when in modem/router mode? Or enable it?

Okay thanks! Should I disable DHCP on the modem when in modem/router mode? Or enable it?

Has to be enabled. Otherwise your second router won't be able to get an IP from the modem/router.

Well thanks a lot, it's now working great now, your help is much appreciated!

It was a bit of a guessing game for me, but I'm glad it is working now.

Your mistake was disabling DHCP on the modem/router. The two routers are on a different subnet, each one has to have DHCP running to serve it's own clients. The second router gets it's WAN IP from the first, it's like a client to the first router. This setup is easy and it works, but you may see some issues with double-NAT situation. If that happens, come back here on SNB and we'll find a solution.

It was a bit of a guessing game for me, but I'm glad it is working now.

Your mistake was disabling DHCP on the modem/router. The two routers are on a different subnet, each one has to have DHCP running to serve it's own clients. The second router gets it's WAN IP from the first, it's like a client to the first router. This setup is easy and it works, but you may see some issues with double-NAT situation. If that happens, come back here on SNB and we'll find a solution.

Nope. I spoke too soon. Had everything setup, it was all working perfect, then I tried to enable IGMP or multicast and it randomly lost connection. Now I'm back to square one, albeit more annoyed.

I remember restarting the router after a setup and it just started working fine... Not sure what's going on but for a router that retails for such a high price, these problems are atrocious.

Thanks for your help, I don't know where to go from here.

Not sure what's going on but for a router that retails for such a high price, these problems are atrocious.

The router has nothing to do with the issues you have.

What are the LAN IPs for the router/modem and for the ASUS router?
On the ASUS router - LAN -> LAN IP -> IP Address

How is the Internet connection configured?
On the ASUS router - WAN -> Internet Connection -> WAN Connection Type

It's getting late here, 11.30pm... someone else will help you further. It's just a router, don't get stressed out.

Last edited:
The router has nothing to do with the issues you have.

What are the LAN IPs for the router/modem and for the ASUS router?
On the ASUS router - LAN -> LAN IP -> IP Address

How is the Internet connection configured?
On the ASUS router - WAN -> Internet Connection -> WAN Connection Type

It's getting late here, 11.30pm... someone else will help you further. It's just a router, don't get stressed out.

Hey, yeah you're right, it was 4 am here when you last replied, so that was why I was getting frustrated, and why I didn't reply.

I'm gonna have another go later tonight, I'll try and answer your questions then :) thanks again.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!