What's new

Asus RT-AC86U setup issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There are no Internet connection related firmware problems.

How to reset the router and start the setup process - User Manual, Page 16
I'm really trying to help here, but don't ask me to read the manual for you, please.

It doesn't seem to be an internet connection problem, using my ISP router the internet connects no problem. It's this router that is having trouble, and since the web UI doesn't even load properly I thought it'd be a problem on the router itself.

I'm not asking how to reset the router, I'm asking how to clear everything stored on the router so that I can start from the very start to eliminate any errors I might have caused.

I'm not asking how to reset the router, I'm asking how to clear everything stored on the router so that I can start from the very start to eliminate any errors I might have caused.

The Reset button is at the back of the router, above the Power switch.

I'm asking how to clear everything stored on the router so that I can start from the very start to eliminate any errors I might have caused.
The small reset button behind works very well for that .. just hold it 10-15 sec ;)

You did not tell us which fw you're using, try with 384.45717 or 384.13 to get started

I know, but that doesn't wipe all firmware from the router, at least not when I've tried it.

You can't wipe the firmware. Firmware is the operating system. What version of Asuswrt-Merlin you flashed?

The small reset button behind works very well for that .. just hold it 10-15 sec ;)

You did not tell us which fw you're using, try with 384.45717 or 384.13 to get started

I'm not just trying to be difficult I swear xD. How long does it usually take to reset? Everytime I've used that button the router just stalls, it doesn't reboot.

The merlin firmware I used was 384.13.

Last edited:
You can't wipe the firmware. Firmware is the operating system. What version of Asuswrt-Merlin you flashed?

I mean to reset back to the state it was when it shipped after it was manufactured. Because this reset button isn't doing anything, unless it's supposed to take 30 mins?

@Kiiran_B, you might want to have a look at my M&M Config link in my signature below. The Nuclear Reset link may be helpful too in your situation. :)

@Kiiran_B, you might want to have a look at my M&M Config link in my signature below. The Nuclear Reset link may be helpful too in your situation. :)

Okay thanks! I'm gonna have a good read through this and try some of the options. That's appreciated.

Thanks all of you for your help! I'll report back with my findings.

Okay, no matter what I do, the problem is the web UI, whether connected to the internet or not, it is so slow. Yesterday after a random restart of the router, it just started working, I think whatever is causing the slow UI is the root of my problems. Doesn't matter what I do in terms of reboots or resets, the UI is buggy and slow, it's either my settings on Windows or it's on the router, I can't restage the event that lead to the router working perfectly last night, all I know is that when the sluggish UI disappeared the router was working fine.

I've read it has something to do with certifications in the browser but the tutorial isn't very noob friendly.

I tried to start a nuclear reset but the web UI won't load for me to use the default factory reset option on it. Literally going round in circles and it's because of the slow web UI.

Any thoughts? XD

Did you try resetting the router with the WPS key method too?

Please see the M&M Config and Nuclear Reset guides again for more details on doing so.

What do you mean by client?

A tablet, a cell phone... different client than your PC. I start to believe something is wrong on your PC. Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 works pretty well on RT-AC86U. Was the router like this the moment you first turned it on with it's original ASUS firmware? Is it a new router?

Did you do every step bit by bit of nuclear reset?
Not only some parts, really every step!
And loading firmware 2 times again, like in description.
Nothing else connected to the router than your PC or whatever client, before set a fixed IP 192.168.1.2 on PC LAN port.

If this doesnt help there is no help ...

Did you do every step bit by bit of nuclear reset?
Not only some parts, really every step!
And loading firmware 2 times again, like in description.
Nothing else connected to the router than your PC or whatever client, before set a fixed IP 192.168.1.2 on PC LAN port.

If this doesnt help there is no help ...

I couldn't complete the steps because the UI doesn't load for me to reset to default through it.

Today, I went into recovery mode, flashed the merlin firmware, waited for ages so that there was no chance of an early restart and...

Everything worked! Going through settings making sure it was all working, as soon as I enabled multicast the router ceased connecting. That's twice that's happened now.

Also I cant connect to the router through SSH, command prompt says the connection was refused.

@Kiiran_B, is your password 16 characters or less, and are they only alphanumeric? No special characters, punctuation, smileys or similar?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!