What's new

ASUS RT- AC86U WIFI DROP OUTS/ SLOW AND FLUCTUATING

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm following this thread as I'm having intermittent wifi drop-outs on my AC86U.

This router is known for multiple common hardware failures including radios. If playing with Wi-Fi settings doesn't improve the situation you may need a new router. Keep it in a cool place, overheating is one of the issues. You can see the CPU temperature after logging to your GUI on this address:

This router is known for multiple common hardware failures including radios. If playing with Wi-Fi settings doesn't improve the situation you may need a new router. Keep it in a cool place, overheating is one of the issues. You can see the CPU temperature after logging to your GUI on this address:

A far more common problem is people misdiagnosing firmware bugs as hardware failure because of people on this forum constantly going on about how common hardware failure supposedly is- without mentioning the proper steps to eliminate other factors first (which you, Tech9, do with utmost regularity and to excess).

Such steps include choosing a verified firmware and doing a proper full reset of the router. You can check my comment history for multiple explanations on this, as I've had my own history with the AC86U.

It is really unfortunate that some people on this forum is constantly are causing people to unnecessarily waste hard earned money on slight upgrades in performance in order for the ones giving the "advice" to seemingly grind their own hatch with respect to this model (the absurd thing is they are recommend upgrading to a new Asus router, then, essentially making them profit from delivering a bad product).

Don't get me wrong, there has been lots of issues with the AC86, but primarily because of bad firmware from Asus historically, not hardware failure.

which you, Tech9, do with utmost regularity and to excess

I’ve never seen radio cutting off intermittently because of firmware or user configuration. I’ve seen firmware versions with better or worse Wi-Fi performance. If the router has an issue if this kind and nothing helps - it has to be replaced or RMA-ed. Replacement can be Asus or other brand - a matter of choice.

Don't get me wrong, there has been lots of issues with the AC86, but primarily because of bad firmware from Asus historically, not hardware failure.

When this router has hardware failure the damages on materials or components are often visible. I personally had a few with intermittent radio issue as well - not possible to fix with firmware.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!