What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

These aren't betas. They are final releases with newer versions adding features and bug fixes Please stop calling them betas.

They may as well be betas they are full of bugs. Maybe the forth coming Asus release will indeed be a final.

These aren't betas. They are final releases with newer versions adding features and bug fixes Please stop calling them betas.

I think he's referring to this comment made by Gary in his post:

"I will post stable betas in this thread as they become available."

I haven't had any issues with the firmware so far. I have 25 of RT-AC87U on the network and they are humming along fine without any issues whatsoever. I have noticed that most of those having issues are those who tend to tinker with the routers instead of just setting them up once and letting them run from there.

I haven't had any issues with the firmware so far. I have 25 of RT-AC87U on the network and they are humming along fine without any issues whatsoever. I have noticed that most of those having issues are those who tend to tinker with the routers instead of just setting them up once and letting them run from there.
I won't call it "tinker".
Anyway I believe the basic router functions will work.
Problems mostly arise in the advanced features, different ISP's and maybe in combinations of features, specially with external devices as NAS.
The more basic, the easier it is for the manufacturer to test and verify.
The more complex, and the more combinations of features are used, the more difficult it is to test and verify. An end user can come up with more combinations or specific situations then the manufacturer can think of.
If you select a router for one specific advertised advanced feature, you may expect it shall work.
Forums like this are valuable to give feedback, providing the situation and problem are clearly described.

Whose router is that, and where's the 2216 FW from?

Jieming is one of the Asuswrt developers, and this is just a webui simulation Asus publishes for people to see. Don't put any stock into the version displayed, it could be any internal test build.

Any news on that firmware?

Yeah, I'm really itching to see the next firmware release. Nearly everyone on the forums seems to be having issues with the 5GHz band, and while I'm chugging along just fine in 2.4GHz, I'm super excited to finally get this bridge mode working in AC!!

i can't get 3x3 wifi ac up to 1300 with this router, wondering if any body having the same, max i can see is 878 but up and down. i switch back to my r6250 net gear saw 1300 instantly.

The latest info I got was that Asus were waiting for an updated TrendMicro engine this week to resolve some low performance issues caused by the current version, so a new firmware release was currently tentatively scheduled for late next week. That update will also resolve the vlan2 dead loop issue (I'm currently using a manual workaround they gave me and it's been working fine after 24 hours).

Aww that's a bummer. I was hoping they'd prioritize the new radio updates over the QOS and other features. Really eager to get the media bridge working properly in AC mode. Although I guess it's possible there are no radio updates. :(

EDIT: I also haven't considered that something is wrong with my hardware. I haven't done this level of bleeding edge router hardware before, so I was assuming that the hardware is typically fine but requires a couple months of firmware updates before it works properly.

Aww that's a bummer. I was hoping they'd prioritize the new radio updates over the QOS and other features. Really eager to get the media bridge working properly in AC mode. Although I guess it's possible there are no radio updates. :(

It's all coming together. The current wireless driver isn't Quantenna's performance driver yet. MU-MIMO for instance isn't enabled yet.

FW development is still very active. Look at the current firmware as a pre-release of sort - Asus intends to have a firmware based on the new Broadcom SDK7 environment in the future, which will bring (amongst other things) very notable improvements with USB performance.

Keep in mind that the router is currently still kinda in its pre-release stage. Wider availability is only planned for the end of August.

So what does this error mean, and is it hurting anything?

It has to do with the Linux traffic classifier subsystem, which I am not really familiar with, so no idea what impact this has.

It's all coming together. The current wireless driver isn't Quantenna's performance driver yet. MU-MIMO for instance isn't enabled yet.

FW development is still very active. Look at the current firmware as a pre-release of sort - Asus intends to have a firmware based on the new Broadcom SDK7 environment in the future, which will bring (amongst other things) very notable improvements with USB performance.

Keep in mind that the router is currently still kinda in its pre-release stage. Wider availability is only planned for the end of August.
Thanks for the pep talk RMerlin! I'm committed to sticking with this router as its software is developed. I have good uptime and a functional 2.4GHz bridge, I just need to be more patient.

Public Release Firmware 2060 is available for download now - update 8/9/2014 - 2060 beta pulled.

1. This release contains Quantenna's latest 5GHz performance driver along with other signal enhancements. Please ensure beamforming is enabled for best performance.
2. I do not have the complete list of items yet but a few bugs were fixed also.

Update - I need to change this firmware status to Supported Public Beta. We will have the final release on Monday after final QC approval (beamforming auto-enabled if already disabled) and it is uploaded to the support servers.

Next release will concentrate on improved USB performance (wired and wireless improvements up to 20%, regardless of router load), user enhancements and bug fixes. I expect this release in about ten days.

Update - 8/9/2014
Official Build 2061 is released and will be available for auto update and at the support site starting late Monday. You can download here - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17612062/RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_376_2061-gdea2a5b.zip

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!