What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I will load this up on my router today, as I have ran into trouble with the 5GHz band after router being up for a couple of days. I just hope with the work that's being done, the QoS system is also being worked on. As it is flaky atm at least for me, using it caused my router to reboot. Anyways I will report any issue's, if I find any with this release, thanks again Gary.

Still get "Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!" flooding my logs, but the 5G is noticebly more responsive.

I'm so excited to try this out when I get home!! Thanks Gary for putting this up before the weekend, now I can tinker!

EDIT: 5GHz in general seems zippier, unfortunately media bridge mode still doesn't connect on 5GHz. :(

EDIT TO EDIT: Problem SOLVED! RT-AC87 routers in 5GHz media bridge mode MAY NOT use network keys with spaces in them. Remove all spaces in your network password to get things working on 5GHz.

Last edited:
Still get "Dead loop on virtual device vlan2, fix it urgently!" flooding my logs, but the 5G is noticebly more responsive.
I am also getting the dreaded vlan2 dead loop message. The new firmware, 376.2060, seems to have not done anything to resolve that issue. Pity.

I am also getting the dreaded vlan2 dead loop message. The new firmware, 376.2060, seems to have not done anything to resolve that issue. Pity.

I know it's fixed in the 376_2371 beta that I have, so it's possible it was fixed after the 276_2060 build was completed.

5ghz still not connected at 1300mbit on my macbook pro retina, only 878 and sometime even 702.

Fluctuating between -68 and -71 in my bedroom on 5GHZ all setting are defaulted (out of box config).

Considering I have a 2,000 Sq feet house was hoping for better coverage/better signal quality. I have a split foyer and none of the interior walls are concrete, they're sheetrock. Router is unfortunately in basement but to get 10 or less RSSI improvement on a router advertised to cover 5,000 sq feet....

Maybe I'm being picky and I have seen an improvement over the 68U. This is definitely a keeper but expected better range.

I know it's fixed in the 376_2371 beta that I have, so it's possible it was fixed after the 276_2060 build was completed.

Merlin: I lose internet connection on 2371 at reboot/power down and have to default router and redo settings to get it back and then will do it all over again at reboot. Went back to 2060 and its fixed. Had this issue???

Merlin: I lose internet connection on 2371 at reboot/power down and have to default router and redo settings to get it back and then will do it all over again at reboot. Went back to 2060 and its fixed. Had this issue???
How did you get 2371 if you do not mind my asking. Thanks very much.

I think 5000 square feet refers to 2.4 Ghz.
Range claims are always based on the 2.4GHz band unless specifically stated otherwise. The problem with the 5GHz band is that it is much more susceptible to attenuation than the 2.4GHz band. If I were to oversimplify the explanation as to why this is so then I would simply state that, "the 5GHz band has more energy which is easier to lose than the lower-energy 2.4GHz band". So higher frequencies will always attenuate faster than lower ones.

Yes, they sent me 2381 this morning which resolved the DHCP issues.

How did you get 2371 if you do not mind my asking. Thanks very much.

These are internal beta releases. As you can see from NightOwl's post, they are not ready for primetime yet, and are intended mostly for testing purposes.

Merlin,
Any changes from the release Gary posted yesterday, and the latest beta you are using, regarding any QoS changes? As i have ran my router for couple days, without a reboot. So i would say, in my case QoS caused my router to reboot the other day, when i had it enabled.

Range claims are always based on the 2.4GHz band unless specifically stated otherwise. The problem with the 5GHz band is that it is much more susceptible to attenuation than the 2.4GHz band. If I were to oversimplify the explanation as to why this is so then I would simply state that, "the 5GHz band has more energy which is easier to lose than the lower-energy 2.4GHz band". So higher frequencies will always attenuate faster than lower ones.

Thanks guys! I was aware that 2.4 covers more ground (12 years ago I did take some networking classes in college however didn't end up in that field so rarely use that knowledge), was just hoping for a significant increase of coverage throughout for both bands due to the advertisement.

As Merlin and many other state numerous times there's many factors that come into play here with house material and location and interference which is why I did list my location in my house and primary housing material. I guess I was just thinking 2,000 sq feet shouldn't be an issue for 5 ghz if 2.4 can do 5,000.

It's not that my RSSI is terrible but as of yesterday fluctuated around 71 and 68 in bedroom. May have been a pipe dream to want to see a consistent 10 points or better RSSI over the 68U wherever I am within the house but wanted to reply with latest firmware I'm getting a fluctuating 2 points lower (better) RSSI with this public beta Gary released over initial launch week firmware. (Think this would be the third counting the one it came loaded with that Asus has released so far).

Looking forward to using Merlin as well once Asus slows down and gives him access to most recent drivers and etc...

Reboot issue is still there on new firmware. Also Qos seems more broken. With nothing on but my tablet, I tried speedtest.net and my 45mbs was 17mbs. Disabled qos and its back to 45mbs. I did not noticed that issue with last firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!