What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When is Asus going to fix the bizarre issue associated with port 1 which would make the router virtually non-functional? The issue is more or less consistent in my case s I don't have anything connected to it.
That seems to happen on your router. Mine does not have any issue at all on any of the four ports.
I would RMA yours

Replied through TapaTalk

Today ASUS Released a Beta Version ASUS RT-AC87R Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.6117.

And I did not understand exactly what you mean by ASUS:
"Please unplug the hard drive before updating firmware."

Could someone explain?
Thanks

P.S. It would be better to wait for the final version?

Today ASUS Released a Beta Version ASUS RT-AC87R Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.6117.

Could someone explain?
Thanks

They want you to unmount any external drive you have physically plugged into the router before you update the firmware. Hope this helps.

I have a new RT-AC87U still sitting in the box just waiting to replace my RT-AC66R but all these posts about the FW still not up to par and issues with the 87U are making me nervous about setting it up. I only bought it because it was on sale recently on Tiger direct for $199. Wondering if I should just return it......any thoughts?

I have a new RT-AC87U still sitting in the box just waiting to replace my RT-AC66R but all these posts about the FW still not up to par and issues with the 87U are making me nervous about setting it up. I only bought it because it was on sale recently on Tiger direct for $199. Wondering if I should just return it......any thoughts?
I think you should return to Tigerdirect. I regret to having buy.

I think you should return to Tigerdirect. I regret to having buy.

In my case I disagree it works really good in my case and I use it not only for gaming also for work, it had some issues before, but after firmware 5134 it went really good.

I am on 6117 now. I tried to activate Time Machine, but both of my hard disks are not recognized anymore in the time machine app after the update. Everywhere else they seem to work fine (e.g. media center). Anyone having the same problem or a solution?

EDIT PS: yes, I unplugged them both before updating

I have no problems with mine and I am convinced it is largely due to the stupid $3 USB fan I stuck underneath my nearly $300 router. I was a naysayer of active cooling for months but I have come around. Before the USB my temps were, on average:

2.4 GHz: 48°C | 5 GHz: 58°C | CPU: 78°C.

My current temps are:

2.4 GHz: 41°C | 5 GHz: 47°C | CPU: 54°C

That is a huge difference. In the peak summer months my cpu regularly went over 80°C and topped out at about 85°C. Now it NEVER goes over 60°C. Fan placement is critical though and I have found 1/2 inch or 127mm's to be about the "sweet spot" for my AC87R. If you move any closer than the CPU temp drops but the 5GHz chipset temp goes up (or vice versa, I forget which).

Also, as a rule I normally use "Auto" whenever it is available as a selection and let the router decide what to do. Since hitting upon this setup my router has been as stable as the AC68U it replaced with MUCH greater range and performance on the 5GHz band. In fact, the AC87R has eliminated my need for range extenders in getting sufficient signal strength down to my daughter's room, the first router to accomplish this in my experience.

I have no problems with mine and I am convinced it is largely due to the stupid $3 USB fan I stuck underneath my nearly $300 router. I was a naysayer of active cooling for months but I have come around. Before the USB my temps were, on average:

2.4 GHz: 48°C | 5 GHz: 58°C | CPU: 78°C.

My current temps are:

2.4 GHz: 41°C | 5 GHz: 47°C | CPU: 54°C

That is a huge difference. In the peak summer months my cpu regularly went over 80°C and topped out at about 85°C. Now it NEVER goes over 60°C. Fan placement is critical though and I have found 1/2 inch or 127mm's to be about the "sweet spot" for my AC87R. If you move any closer than the CPU temp drops but the 5GHz chipset temp goes up (or vice versa, I forget which).

Also, as a rule I normally use "Auto" whenever it is available as a selection and let the router decide what to do. Since hitting upon this setup my router has been as stable as the AC68U it replaced with MUCH greater range and performance on the 5GHz band. In fact, the AC87R has eliminated my need for range extenders in getting sufficient signal strength down to my daughter's room, the first router to accomplish this in my experience.

Edit: I also have a cron job set up that automatically reboots the router overnight while we sleep at 5:15am PDT. Between the daily fresh boot up and the cooling fan this router is stable as the AC68U it replaced with MUCH better range and performance on the 5GHz band.

Last edited:

Could someone explain?
Thanks

I can tell you if you have anything plugged in on the USB when you try to update firmware it will never take. I had it happen with an aircard plugged in the FW stayed at the original level even same with merlin's. Made me pull my hair out till I unplugged the card.

I can tell you if you have anything plugged in on the USB when you try to update firmware it will never take. I had it happen with an aircard plugged in the FW stayed at the original level even same with merlin's. Made me pull my hair out till I unplugged the card.
I don't have any problem updating the firmware with a USB ThumbDrive connected...

I don't have any problem updating the firmware with a USB ThumbDrive connected...

'Now'. But when you do, you'll know to take it out. ;)

@DaveMishSr : wow you have the 87u running at 1400 as well, just like my R7000. Good to know it might be able to do that, at least w/ active cooling. Thx.

I have no problems with mine and I am convinced it is largely due to the stupid $3 USB fan I stuck underneath my nearly $300 router.

Interesting... could you post us a photo of where exactly you've placed it? Mine runs pretty hot so I'm thinking of maybe getting the same...

Kinda losing hope for this router. I bought it for 5ghz, every single devices has 2ms to router when connected to 5ghz and 0ms on 2.4ghz.

Interesting... could you post us a photo of where exactly you've placed it? Mine runs pretty hot so I'm thinking of maybe getting the same...
Check out my avatar. I have also started a thread asking users to post photos of their cooling solutions. You can check that thread out at:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac87u-r-cooling-solutions.24888/

Sorry. I should have added that I have found placement to be pretty important. I have found that by keeping the fan and router separated by 1/2" or 127mm's to be the "sweet spot" for my router. If you move it any closer to the router than 5GHz temp goes down but cpu temp starts rising (or vice versa I forget which). The 2.4GHz chipset doesn't seem to care much about the exact placement of the fan.

At any rate you will see a good photo of my cooling solution, as well as those of other users, over on that thread I started.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
After I upgraded to v3.0.0.4.378.6117, I had to enter my login info everytime I access the router's page, which is too annoying!
Any thoughts how to save it like before?
Thank you!

Hey guys,
After I upgraded to v3.0.0.4.378.6117, I had to enter my login info everytime I access the router's page, which is too annoying!
Any thoughts how to save it like before?
Thank you!
That's the idea of it, to make ir more "secure" and avoid browsers to save login credentials.
So far, I couldn't found a way to bypass it.

Replied through TapaTalk

@sentinelvdx
Well that sucks! What if I was okay with browsers saving it!
They must let the user decide his router's security level!
Agreed, but well it's their decision

Replied through TapaTalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!