What's new

Asus RT-AC87U vs RT-AC88U wireless distance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lorand

Occasional Visitor
I am currently using an Asus RT-AC87U.
There is a guest room that is separated from the house by 3 walls and the wireless strength is not strong enough.
Tried with multiple devices; some points of the room (closer to the door and my router) the signal is strong enough even to play a YouTube video in 1080p, but if I move a bit, the signal drops and doesn't load or the device disconnects.
All I would need is like 1-2 more meters. Tried a few settings and move the router a bit but it did not help. Also bought a Powerline (PL-N12) but it didn't work out well. It would be too difficult to connect with wire, so I was thinking if the new model the RT-AC88U maybe has a slightly better signal strength that could work out for me.

I did some research and saw lots of articles about this subject, like x meters from the router the strength is -y DB. But did not find a comparison where someone said that one of the routers signal holds out while on the same distance the other fails.

So what do you think? Is it worth upgrading? Is there a chance I would get that small amount of extra wireless distance?

Update1: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac87u-vs-rt-ac88u-wireless-distance.44649/#post-388616

Last edited:
So what do you think? Is it worth upgrading? Is there a chance I would get that small amount of extra wireless distance?
Due to the current limitations based on the regulatory requirements I would think that the range will be the same - given the fact that that the AC87U has already a good range. :rolleyes:

It's hard to tell without actually testing the other device in your environment. Back in late 2016 I tested the throughput on my 68U vs a 3100. The 3100 was marginally better than the 68U. More recently this past winter I tested the 68U against a 86U. The 86U blew it out of the water on throughput at long range (133 vs 14 mbps d/l on a speedtest). On a shorter range tests the 86U was roughly twice as fast.

Last edited:
Due to the current limitations based on the regulatory requirements I would think that the range will be the same - given the fact that that the AC87U has already a good range. :rolleyes:
Yes, I know that in theory they should be the same or the AC87U should have a lower DB on the same distance (according some tests). However the AC88U has a higher throughput on the same range, maybe this would give me just a bit more juice that I need. The only thing that bugs me, is what if the AC88U will disconnect the clients.
I was hoping someone did this research before, and gives me an answer.

It's hard to tell without actually testing the other device in your environment. Back in late 2016 I tested the throughput on my 68U vs a 3100. The 3100 was marginally better than the 68U. More recently this past winter I tested the 68U against a 86U. The 86U blew it out of the water on throughput at long range (133 vs 14 mbps d/l on a speedtest). On a shorter range test the 86U was roughly twice as fast.

On a short distance my devices connect on 5Ghz that is more than enough for me. The 2.4Ghz in a long distance is where the problem occurs.
You are right, it depends on a lot of environmental factors.
My problem is if I order it, I don't really have an option to send it back if doesn't work out; and it is not a cheap piece of device.

I cringe as I write this, but hey! It's free to try. Try some of the non-recommended 2.4GHz channels. Even though there are good reasons to stick with 1, 6, and 11; any channel overlap that is of fairly low strength (let's say <-75dBm) is unlikely to be of consequence.

I cringe as I write this, but hey! It's free to try. Try some of the non-recommended 2.4GHz channels. Even though there are good reasons to stick with 1, 6, and 11; any channel overlap that is of fairly low strength (let's say <-75dBm) is unlikely to be of consequence.

This is a very interesting point of view. Over the years I came to similar conclusion for very crowded environments, that it ends up being better to have a lot of low power overlap/interference in all (10-12) channels than only 3 or 4 channels being used with less overlap but higher mean power interference levels.... however I'd like to read if someone has *facts* to prove or disprove this rational.

I own both and WIFI performance is basically the same. Did not notice any major improvement.
I don't have any problem with performance.
What I'm asking is, what is the maximum distance where it will drop the connection with a device? If the AC88U has at least a minor increase in range it is worth upgrading for me because my AC87U is only missing like an additional meter or two in range for me.

It has not much to do with an extra 2 meters. Due to shadowing and shielding the RF-signal drops dramatically when you move another meter. This can be caused by a concrete wall.
Another reason can be interference from other WiFi-sources. You will not have a better reception with the 88.
Better use an Wireless Access Point in the guest room (over Power Line, but make sure the power line group in the quest room is the same as where you connect the master to).

What I'm asking is, what is the maximum distance where it will drop the connection with a device? If the AC88U has at least a minor increase in range it is worth upgrading for me because my AC87U is only missing like an additional meter or two in range for me.

You might get some insight into range difference from the charts you can build starting here. The maximum distance cannot be determined since the attenuation between your router and the client machine is unknown.

Dropping at what distance with what device? In reference to what? In your house or in the lab. environment. Difficult question for a meaningful answer properly.

In the same environment I did not notice any improvement in distance. Sorry

Sent from FRD-L19 with Tapatalk

Were the two router side by side? (practically same spot) Antenna oriented same way? In real world environment even weather condition affects propagation. Even theory on the paper does not apply 100% in the real world.

So have you tried to put the routers on the same place and try it one by one with multiple devices? Connections on both routers dropped at the same distance?

I have finally decided to buy an AC88U. Got the shipment yesterday.
Didn't have much time to play with it.
I have exported the settings from the AC87U, imported it to the AC88U, enabled smart connect checked the settings and did a quick testing.
On the spot where the AC87U dropped the signal, the AC88U could sustain a stable 10 Mbps down- and 14 Mbps upload speed. (tested with and iPhone X)
I will do some more tweaking and testing when I will have more time.

I have exported the settings from the AC87U, imported it to the AC88U, enabled smart connect checked the settings and did a quick testing.

It is not recommended to restore settings from a different model of router. I am surprised that things are working ok.

Lorand, how is your experience so far with moving from 87U to 88U?
I have the same router that you had (RT-AC87U and need a little more lenght on the signals as well. The house is on 3floors at about 500m2 and the router sits in the middle. Are on Merlins 384.5.
Was thinking about moving to the 88U or perhaps the 86U. Or connect 2 of them in a mesh perhaps, but then I cant use Merlin and thats a bit sad, so a solution with only one router would have been super.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!