What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3941

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Revert back to the previous firmware if you can. It seems the newest firmware on most ASUS routers is breaking the wifi radios in one form or another. I went back to the previous firmware and did a factory reset and all is normal again.

Not an issue here. You may have a bad router.
I had same issue on a bug free router. After reset and config reload from backup, saw multiple devices with slow performance and mystery router CPU spikes. I'm going to reset and reconfigure by hand while everyone else sleeps late tomorrow AM. If still not stable, it's Merlin or downgrade.

I had same issue on a bug free router. After reset and config reload from backup, saw multiple devices with slow performance and mystery router CPU spikes. I'm going to reset and reconfigure by hand while everyone else sleeps late tomorrow AM. If still not stable, it's Merlin or downgrade.

After a hard reset you never want to use an old backup file. Start from scratch each time.

also i have massive problems to with wlan connections doesn't find my sonos and printer anymore really bad firmware release

Revert back to the previous firmware if you can. It seems the newest firmware on most ASUS routers is breaking the wifi radios in one form or another. I went back to the previous firmware and did a factory reset and all is normal again.

the 3341 one I guess? 3341 is stable btw?

Last edited:
also i have massive problems to with wlan connections doesn't find my sonos and printer anymore really bad firmware release
I have the same problem with any device on 2.4 ghz. My old chromecast and Harmony Hub take a while to get detected. I even cleared the settings and redid everything by hand but still the same issue. I downgrade teh exact same config to 3341 and everything works well.

Also on 3941 if you enable Protected Frames support devices on 2.4 start disconnecting, and if you require it none of my 2.4 devices would connect, yet on 3341 I never had that issue. I ended up having to downgrade.

I have the same problem with any device on 2.4 ghz. My old chromecast and Harmony Hub take a while to get detected. I even cleared the settings and redid everything by hand but still the same issue. I downgrade teh exact same config to 3341 and everything works well.

Also on 3941 if you enable Protected Frames support devices on 2.4 start disconnecting, and if you require it none of my 2.4 devices would connect, yet on 3341 I never had that issue. I ended up having to downgrade.

Yes - it is frustrating - I noticed the same thing on my 2.4 devices (wemo, echos) where they were laggy in getting detected or in the case of the echo, stuttering (with any version merlin or asus of firmware later than 3341)

Yes - it is frustrating - I noticed the same thing on my 2.4 devices (wemo, echos) where they were laggy in getting detected or in the case of the echo, stuttering (with any version merlin or asus of firmware later than 3341)

Merlin 380.61 too?

This firmware fixed the random crash/kernel panic the driver would cause to an RT-AC88U in bridge mode.

This firmware has put the IPv6 stack in bridge mode into a hot, hot mess. SLAAC randomly works, then breaks, then Teredo randomly works for a while and then breaks. It's a non-stop repeating process of working, then breaking, working, then breaking. It's bad.

The crazy thing is, this code (IPv6) was working just fine in past builds. Of course the bridge randomly crashed in past builds. So, eh. It's just seems to be constantly one thing or another.

On the flip side, the RT-AC88U I have in Router mode seems to be more or less bullet proof. It's just the bridge code that needs some cleaning.

I have also Problems. The 2.4 GHz WIFI have a bug. I can't connect any Device after a few Days. After a restart all works again. This Issue i had 2 Times now. With the older Firmware was all okay. When i have the Issue again, i will test the 5 GHz also.

I couldn't connect to my 2.4GHz devices GoGoGate2, Canon Printer and Wemo was really slow to respond and kept saying Device Not Found. Rolling back to 3.0.0.4.380.3341 resolved all issues.

Only issue I seem to be having with this firmware is with AIProtection and my Synology NAS.

AIProtection keeps sending me emails claiming my NAS is attacking external IP's using Port 8080.
Run full wireshark capture on the network and there is no such traffic. Even got Synology to install their own packet capture tool on my NAS (which is pretty cool lol) and this reporting nothing back either.

I installed this firmware version on my RT-AC3100 and my airprint printers all disappear after a little while. They show back up on reboot but eventually disappear again. Rolling back to 3.0.0.4.380.3341 corrects it.

So I've been working on this problem with Synology these last 2 weeks:
AIProtection keeps reporting that my NAS is attacking various other IP's using port 8080.

Ran a full wireshark on my network and couldn't find anything relating to it. Also ran a special utility on my NAS (which synology installed) that works similar to wireshark capturing packet information - again nothing!

Looks like a false positive from the AV software in this firmware release as it didn't do it with the previous firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!