What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7266

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can people with Wifi issues (especially with wireless multifunction printers) try disabling Airtime Fairness under Wireless Professional (on both bands)? It's the only visible changes I've seen in wifi. Otherwise, the issue could be in the closed-source portions of the firmware.

Bandwidth Limiter is indeed broken, I noticed it last night. It no longer configures the Linux traffic classifier, so there's no processing done on the marked traffic. Asus is aware of this one, should be an easy fix for them.

Can people with Wifi issues (especially with wireless multifunction printers) try disabling Airtime Fairness under Wireless Professional (on both bands)? It's the only visible changes I've seen in wifi. Otherwise, the issue could be in the closed-source portions of the firmware.

Bandwidth Limiter is indeed broken, I noticed it last night. It no longer configures the Linux traffic classifier, so there's no processing done on the marked traffic. Asus is aware of this one, should be an easy fix for them.

Wow . . . that might be it! I have been running for about 30 minutes now and my airprint still works. It normally would be down by now. I don't think the client list is all flaky either . . . the clients don't seem to come and go as you view the list like before.

If I hadn't already down graded I would. Will wait for next release [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RMerlin over and hour and airprint is still working. Would be interested to hear from someone like @bradbort or @effortless to see if turning off airtime fairness works for their MFP issues. I read on an another forum that Sonos suggested the same to fix issues with their equipment which I remember someone complaining about with 4180.

Hi.

I'm also having problems with this last firmware. I didn't have problems with the firmwares prior to this one.

Wifi connection is working fine, but my Internet connection goes down multiple times a day.

From what i've managed to understand, the problem is in the way that the router is (not) making new DHCP queries in the WAN interface. The DHCP lease becomes expired, and the router doesn't send a new query.

In "Internet Status" on the Network Map, the "Lease expires" field shows "Expired", and after that the only solutions become rebooting the router or changing some config on the WAN interface so it restarts that interface and forces a new DHCP query.

I've tried Normal Mode and Agressive Mode in the "DHCP query frequency", but the result/behaviour is always the same, the DHCP Lease becomes expired after the lease time that my ISP is sending (4 hours).

Some suggestions other than downgrading firmware?

Thanks.

So... I've created a simple workaround until Asus fixes this firmware's incredibly stupid flaw.

A cron job, set to run every two hours (i could have chosen a different time interval, as long as it wasn't longer than 4 hours between the jobs, since my ISP gives me a 4 hour DHCP lease), calling a script that does this to force a DHCP renew: "killall -SIGUSR1 udhcpc".

The only downside to this is, if i need to reboot the router, the cron job has to be created again after that.

With firmware 380.7266 my ISP and WIFI connectivity seem ok.. But my local subnet peep to peer is horrible LAN-LAN seemed to work best but wifi -> wifi and LAN-wifi was horrible..example trying to connect to local web server (wifi) from tablet (wifi) I would connect to server run tcpdump watching for arps. Initiating a web connection on tablet page would time out but web server would see no ARP request.. trying from a LAN client to web server same result.. tcpdump on web client shows ARPs going out to web server but no responces.. web server however was not showing any incoming ARP request.

As someone mentioned above.. I disabled the AirTimeFairness setting and connectivity is much better. ARPs are seen and responded too. Local network peer to peer is much better.

My problem with this firmware is I'll drop internet connection on my machines, but when I log in to the router, internet shows connected. DSL modem is online and the only way for the internet to start working is to reboot the router. This affects both wired and wireless devices.

With firmware 380.7266 my ISP and WIFI connectivity seem ok.. But my local subnet peep to peer is horrible LAN-LAN seemed to work best but wifi -> wifi and LAN-wifi was horrible..example trying to connect to local web server (wifi) from tablet (wifi) I would connect to server run tcpdump watching for arps. Initiating a web connection on tablet page would time out but web server would see no ARP request.. trying from a LAN client to web server same result.. tcpdump on web client shows ARPs going out to web server but no responces.. web server however was not showing any incoming ARP request.

As someone mentioned above.. I disabled the AirTimeFairness setting and connectivity is much better. ARPs are seen and responded too. Local network peer to peer is much better.

@sz0wxc, is your wireless device is 802.11 b/g wifi device?
Or your wireless devices are 802.11 b/g and 802.11 n/ac??

When your wireless device link router, how about wireless device data rate(Advanced Setting -> System Log -> Wireless Log, this page can list wireless device data ratg)??

Enable Airtime Fairness function, 802.11 n/ac wireless device throughput will down, system will let 802.11 b/g wireless device access.

Or you can share router and wireless device position map??

This firmware is the reason that I'm running RMerlin 380.65_2 on my router right now. I couldn't get 7266 to retain an IPv6 address for more than a very short while before it would drop the connection rolling all clients back to IPv4. My router is new and came with 3941 installed but I updated it just as soon as I connected the unit to my cable modem and it advertised the newer firmware.

I've been back and forth with asus technical support about my IPv6 issues and they just keep telling me the very same song and dance each time I bring it up plus sending logs seems to be of no avail. I had to hard reset my router after installing 7266 to even get the IPv6 connection in the first place which is really sad I think. RMerlin established it right away without issue plus has prefix designation settings which my ISP Comcast uses.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! For my first posting here I wanted to also throw in my 2 cents about this firmware upgrade... which made the router unusable for me. I purchased it about 4 months ago and it came with 3941 default, and it worked great. I needed a router with link aggregation, and the selection out there is slim and I've always been a fan of ASUS for their motherboards. Everything was fine until I upgraded to 4180, which caused intermittent outages and disconnects, which would reconnect after a minute or so but then the connection speed after reconnect would be a fraction of what it was. Speedtest results for my connection are average 300/30 and after the disconnect it would be 20/30 so in kept the upload just fine, just destroyed my download. Only a hard reset of the router would fix this. Then 7266 came out and I thought it would fix it, it made things worse. Every hour it would disconnect, and wouldn't reconnect. after maybe 15-30 both wireless would stop broadcasting, had to go in and just make a random change to the wireless settings and it would come back on for a while, then go back out. After it's all said and done, WRT 380.65_4 I just installed 2 days ago and the router is solid and stable. Thats my suggestion, forget the firmware from ASUS...

Figures.... spoke too soon. the wireless started freaking out on me today while I was teleworking. back to the drawing board!

Figures.... spoke too soon. the wireless started freaking out on me today while I was teleworking. back to the drawing board!
Yeah I tried the 380.65_4 variant yesterday and while it could load balance it wouldn't put the second wan port into standby and issued an error for that connection even though it has just connected to load balance. I rolled back to 380.65_2 this morning and that error on the second wan port disappeared. I might even try rolling back to the stock 7266 firmware to just see what happens there.

Yeah I tried the 380.65_4 variant yesterday and while it could load balance it wouldn't put the second wan port into standby and issued an error for that connection even though it has just connected to load balance. I rolled back to 380.65_2 this morning and that error on the second wan port disappeared. I might even try rolling back to the stock 7266 firmware to just see what happens there.

I tried the 7266 again, and no dice... still as broken as when they first released it, at least for me anyway

Like a moth drawn to the flame I tried 7266 a little while ago and it's still broken for me as well. I ended up back on Merlin's 380.65_2 and that's where I'm going to stay for the time being. I sent asus tech support the log and an explanation of what I tried this morning.

Wow Asus really screwed this up. I just registered to also report that 7266 is dropping WAN while still showing it connected about every 3 hours right now. You can fix this with a reboot, but that drops all DNS! Currently I'm rebooting ~3 hours *and* having to manually drop and rewnew DHCP on all clients to get DNS for them to work.

I work from home and this isn't tenable for any period of time. What's known stable, AsusWRT? I've never looked at it before, can someone give me the cliff notes to get to a non-screwed up firmware?

Are you using the stock cable? You might try a different cable to see if the behavior changes.

Are you using the stock cable? You might try a different cable to see if the behavior changes.

You mean the Ethernet cable to the modem? I don't think it's the stock cable, but I don't see how that could be related. The modem is up and the router reports that it's connected and shows the appropriate IP. It simply won't route traffic. I'll look around, I'm sure I have more cables lying around but nothing indicates there's a physical issue with the connection.

Also to be clear the router will not respond to a DNS request for it's own Domain Name until it's rebooted. After which it only responds to it's own DNS and all clients have to be renewed before it serves those.