What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DPUK

Occasional Visitor
Newbie here so 1st post.

I've just ordered an ASUS RT-AC88U.

So looking for advice on 1st essential things I need or recommenced things I should do to it.

ie firmware upgrades etc.

Are there firmware upgrade issues ?

I hear of merlin and tomato but no idea what this is, could somebody explain please.

Newbie here so 1st post.

I've just ordered an ASUS RT-AC88U.

So looking for advice on 1st essential things I need or recommenced things I should do to it.

ie firmware upgrades etc.

Are there firmware upgrade issues ?

I hear of merlin and tomato but no idea what this is, could somebody explain please.

I suggest you configure it and use it as is out of the box for a few days to get familiar with it, burn it in, and see how your clients behave. Meanwhile, figure out the state of recent stock firmware releases and upgrade when ready.

The firmware upgrade process is to flash the router, reset the router, and configure the router. You can restore a saved configuration to a similar/same firmware version, but I recommend saving this step for later (disaster recovery of same version, or when you understand the firmware changes better). So, keep configuration notes... easier to do with a minimal configuration.

If you need basic configuration settings, you may be able to pick them out of my 86U install notes... ignore the AiMesh bits until you add a second router to create a mesh WiFi system. Take it one step at a time and let the router finish what it's doing.

OE

Welcome to the forum I have had an rt ac 88 u for years and in my opinion it is a great router. If I were you I would immediately flash it with Merlin firmware heads and shoulders above Asus stock firmware. Mine is basically used for streaming video and in my madhouse it is used for proximally 15 hours a day and never misses a beat . To flash it with Merlin firmware go to the Merlin download site , sourceforge.net ,and find your router model and take it from there. Good luck

Last edited:
I suggest you configure it and use it as is out of the box for a few days to get familiar with it, burn it in, and see how your clients behave. Meanwhile, figure out the state of recent stock firmware releases and upgrade when ready.

The firmware upgrade process is to flash the router, reset the router, and configure the router. You can restore a saved configuration to a similar/same firmware version, but I recommend saving this step for later (disaster recovery of same version, or when you understand the firmware changes better). So, keep configuration notes... easier to do with a minimal configuration.

If you need basic configuration settings, you may be able to pick them out of my 86U install notes... ignore the AiMesh bits until you add a second router to create a mesh WiFi system. Take it one step at a time and let the router finish what it's doing.

OE
Thanks, can you tell me is this router capable of creation of VLANS ?

Thanks, can you tell me is this router capable of creation of VLANS ?

Wait for an Asuswrt-Merlin user to reply. You don't sound like a "Newbie". :)

OE

You should go with RT-AX88U. Much better and newer. RT-AC88U is 2015 model router.

Only what's available in LAN - IPTV. For specific providers and services. No true VLANs support.
I think he's already bought an rt ac 88 u

Exactly. Not because of AX. Much faster and with longer expected support. AC86U is also a better choice, IMHO.
Agreed I would love to get either an ax 88 u or an ac 86 u for the VPN speed ,I've just got to work out how to get it passed the war office

Just flashed the router firmware to merlin, for this particular router,
Now I cant log back into it.
So I guess it resets the admin account ?
Is the default admin with no password ?
or asus with no password ?

Just flashed the router firmware to merlin, for this particular router,
Now I cant log back into it.
So I guess it resets the admin account ?
Is the default admin with no password ?
or asus with no password ?

If you change to Asuswrt-Merlin, you should reset; then try admin admin, if it's still needed.

OE

tried admin/admin but no joy

The Internet says the defaults are admin admin. Did you reset the router?

OE

If he reset the router then he would be forced to enter any name and password he chooses.

did the firmware upgrade and rebooted as prompted, but would a reset not wipe back to factory settings and remove merlin ?

No it wont remove the firmware but it will reset all settings back to default. You would then set the router back up with the settings you need or want.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!