What's new

ASUS RT AX58U - ASUS MERLIN SOFTWARE INSTALLATION UNSUCCESSFUL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

arturkk

New Around Here
ASUS RT AX58U - ASUS MERLIN SOFTWARE INSTALLATION UNSUCCESSFUL FAILED ! ! ! HELP NEEDED.
hello, I have an Asus rt ax58u router and I can't install the software from Merlin,
maybe some advice what could I do to make the installation successful?
trying to install versions RT AX58U 388.1
video of my installation
https://youtu.be/6LjoeBDaiss
thanks

Is your AX58U a version 2 model ? If so it's not supported by Merlin.

yes I have V2. and is there a chance for a V2 support from Merlin?? I desperately need it for Astrill vpn on router

Not sure if Merlin plans to support the V2 AX58U but it's unlikely.

And what ASUS router would you recommend you with WiFi 6 with Merlin support. at a good price? thx

I have already put the RT-AX58U in the store and bought the RT-AX86S. I hope there will be no problems with this router

Thx

Hello everyone,

I am currently using an Asus RT-AX56U router with the Asus Merlin firmware, and I am quite satisfied with its features, especially the VPN Director. Recently, I needed another router with VPN support for a different location. I tried searching for the AX-56U but couldn't find it, so I ended up purchasing an Asus RT-AX58U instead.

After multiple attempts to install the Asus Merlin firmware on the AX58U and facing numerous failures, I realized that my AX-58U is the V2 version and not the V1, which is likely the cause of the issue. I was highly disappointed to learn that the Asus Merlin firmware does not support the AX-58U V2.

I am aware that the official Asus firmware supports VPN configurations on the AX-58U V2, but it does not offer the same features and capabilities as the Asus-Merlin firmware, which is what I'm looking for. I need customizable and advanced settings, something that the official Asus firmware doesn't provide.

Could anyone shed some light on the differences between the V1 and V2 that might prevent the V2 from being supported by the Asus Merlin firmware? And if there are any Asus-Merlin firmware developers here, could you please explain the limiting factors or challenges in making the firmware compatible with the AX-58U V2?

Thank you for your help and insights.

It's a different hardware device:

Choose a different model if you want Asuswrt-Merlin firmware:

I realized that my AX-58U is the V2 version and not the V1, which is likely the cause of the issue. I was highly disappointed to learn that the Asus Merlin firmware does not support the AX-58U V2.
RMerlin offers an explanation of sorts across several posts on why the V2 is not being supported in the following thread where there is much consternation by some over the RT-AX58U V2 not being supported:
There is a hardware difference between the two versions as explained in this post in that thread. To which RMerlin replied:
No technical reason, just that I have to decide which one to spend time on, and lower end models will always have a lower priority for me.
Its possible (or not) there might be other third party firmware supports the V2.

Last edited:
I am currently using an Asus RT-AX56U router with the Asus Merlin firmware

And your current router may lose Asuswrt-Merlin support soon. Read the second link in my post above.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how can you tell if you have version 2? It isn't even clear to me if the supported version is 1 or 3 based on the details provided and what that version references?
Is the version in reference to the current firmware version installed?

I have a V1. I assume a V2 would be shown here?
Screenshot_20230519_100058_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how can you tell if you have version 2? It isn't even clear to me if the supported version is 1 or 3 based on the details provided and what that version references?
Is the version in reference to the current firmware version installed?

I've seen hardware version (ex: H/W ver. 1.0) noted on the label on the back of my ASUS routers.

OE

ASUS RT-AX58U V2
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.388_22525-gd35b8fe

I'm trying to update to RT-AX58U_388.2_2_puresqubi.w
I get: "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful."

Then I saw this message:
"I didn't investigate it, I simply chose not to, because I already had too many models to deal with."

:-(((((

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!