What's new

Asus RT-AC5300 and ExpressVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BRASUS

New Around Here
I can only get 3Mbps with a Roku connected to the Asus RT-AC5300 Merlin OpenVPN with expressvpn. Is this speed normal? If not, what speed should I be able to get with this configuration? Thanks!

Welcome to the forums @BRASUS.

Yes, depending on many factors, that sounds like it's in the ballpark. (i.e. it may be normal).

I can only get 3Mbps with a Roku connected to the Asus RT-AC5300 Merlin OpenVPN with expressvpn. Is this speed normal? If not, what speed should I be able to get with this configuration? Thanks!
It may help if you include what your broadband speed is and what firmware your router is running. You may also want to list the Roku model and how it is connected to the local network (ie ethernet or WiFi, and if WiFi what WiFi band and speed).

I have a 300Mbps broadband speed. Merlin 386.13. Roku Ultra with cable connection. If I can get like 25Mbps It would be more than sufficient for me. I can get 35 with a fire stick with Internal VPN. If you guys say it can be possible I will try to tweak the configuration to try to archive this speed. Otherwise I’ll look for another router. Yhanks a lot for helping me.

I have a 300Mbps broadband speed. Merlin 386.13. Roku Ultra with cable connection. If I can get like 25Mbps It would be more than sufficient for me. I can get 35 with a fire stick with Internal VPN. If you guys say it can be possible I will try to tweak the configuration to try to archive this speed. Otherwise I’ll look for another router. Yhanks a lot for helping me.
What speed, from a computer, the router or some other device other than the Roku, do you get over the OpenVPN with expressvpn connection?

This router can do about 50-60Mbps on OpenVPN.

You are posting in Asuswrt-Merlin forum. I don't know what else is running on your router. This is the maximum speed per core when doing OpenVPN only. OpenVPN is single threaded, runs on a single core. If this core is doing something else at the same time - VPN encryption/decryption speed will be lower. If you get 35Mbps to another client and 3Mbps to the Roku - obviously you have a client issue. You may not need to touch the router. Investigate what's going on with the Roku first.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!