What's new

Asus RT-AX58U V1 where to buy these days?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Drahy

New Around Here
Hello,

As I am using Asus RT-AX58U V1 and want to buy another as I am very happy with it and with Merlin firmware in it.
Where should I buy the version 1 for EU market? Everywhere I can look is only version 2 which is not supported by Merlin - and they do not plan to support it for the future from what I read here in this forums. And it is crucial for me to have it.

Or do you recommend newer model with the similar price range and properties which is supported by Merlin?

Thank you all.
Drahy

Won't be easy but if you can find some place that has old stock it might be possible. I bought my AX58U back when it was first released 11-2019 been a very good router for me with very little issues. Good Luck !!

Yeah I even tried to contact some internet shops if they have it with version 1 but no success - I hope someone knows some special e-shop or something ...

Could also see if you can find a used one in good shape.

Interesting. I did not know merlin was not supported on Ver. 2

What changed? edit got it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asus_routers#ASUS_Wireless_ax_Routers

hmmm looks like incremental improvement all around, especially on cpu, just lacking merlin FW. I'm assuming generic wrt and tomato can be used on it?

I was thinking of getting one. On sale here in Can for $130 canuck $

Hello,

As I am using Asus RT-AX58U V1 and want to buy another as I am very happy with it and with Merlin firmware in it.
Where should I buy the version 1 for EU market? Everywhere I can look is only version 2 which is not supported by Merlin - and they do not plan to support it for the future from what I read here in this forums. And it is crucial for me to have it.

Or do you recommend newer model with the similar price range and properties which is supported by Merlin?

Thank you all.
Drahy
You can try to search in Mercari: https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m73069831774/

I’m guessing either of these would be a big step up from an old ac68u??

I’m guessing either of these would be a big step up from an old ac68u??

Yes, but user experience depends on the ISP speed and the clients. If you have up to 300Mbps ISP, smaller place and mostly AC clients - it will be about the same. AC68U can handle 300-400Mbps with bells and whistles enabled and can do 400-500Mbps to close located common 2-stream AC client. 2.4GHz performance will be about the same. OpenVPN speeds will be better on AX58U, but still under 100Mbps. WireGuard can run on AX58U as an advantage for faster VPN where supported. Cake QoS can run on AX58U as well for better QoS on 200-300Mbps ISP.

Yes, but user experience depends on the ISP speed and the clients. If you have up to 300Mbps ISP, smaller place and mostly AC clients - it will be about the same. AC68U can handle 300-400Mbps with bells and whistles enabled and can do 400-500Mbps to close located common 2-stream AC client. 2.4GHz performance will be about the same. OpenVPN speeds will be better on AX58U, but still under 100Mbps. WireGuard can run on AX58U as an advantage for faster VPN where supported. Cake QoS can run on AX58U as well for better QoS on 200-300Mbps ISP.
Thanks
ISP is 350/10 cable. My PC is hardwired but rest of family is on wifi. I don’t know how much support the ac68u has left and the ax58u is on sale for $130 cnd. Was looking at Ax86u but sale is still $300. House is 1800sqft 2 story from 80s with walls everywhere. Furthest point away still getting 2 bars on balanced.

Upgrade. Check AX86S price.
V2 seems to be superior to v1 except merlin support? If the store has both versions I’m assuming v2 would be the better choice?

If you don’t need Asuswrt- Merlin - either one is okay. I don’t know how V2 performs though. Never had one in my hands. I don’t like AX58U.

From experience, I cannot recommend the RT-AX58U (today) when the RT-AX68U is vastly superior.

Same for the RT-AX86s. Crippled router for the money. The RT-AX86U is a much better buy long term.

From experience, I cannot recommend the RT-AX58U (today) when the RT-AX68U is vastly superior.

Same for the RT-AX86s. Crippled router for the money. The RT-AX86U is a much better buy long term.
Both versions of the ax58u? Looking at Ax86u but after 13% tax it comes in at 3x the price of the ax58u. I could check out the AX68u. Thanks

I haven't tried both versions. But the price difference reflects their relative worth, to me.

As I said, the RT-AX68U is the vastly superior model (and was recently on sale for less than the RT-AX58U).

You don't need RT-AX68U. This router had a history of connectivity issues*, the only one using BCM6710 for 5GHz band, unpopular** here on SNB Forums, no 160MHz channel support, less firmware updates than other models. No wonder if it will be discontinued soon. One only person advertises it actively on this forum - the one you were talking to. He perhaps send you a link to a fake "report" as well with imaginary "customers". This link is posted perhaps 100+ times already. Get RT-AX86S for CAD200 and call it a day. This is the cheapest Asus router I can recommend with the same Wi-Fi performance as popular AX86U. Good for up to Gigabit ISP. If you plan >Gigabit ISP - GT-AX6000 has 2x 2.5GbE ports. The single 2.5GbE port on AX86U is mostly useless.

* - the thread here on SNB Forums is 10 pages long, complaints on Internet everywhere
** - do your homework and check how many people reply to new RT-AX68U firmware threads

Be smart, you're an engineer... ;)

Can’t really find ax68u in Canada. A few places it’s 250$+
At $250 it's not a good deal, I admit. The RT-AX86U is your better buy in that case. Or, the better GT-AX6000.

Be wary of taking advice from someone who counts thread length as an indication of a specific model's worth. The small percentage of people who complain is outweighed by the happy users of that model.

And particularly take model advice given by anyone who isn't even using Asus routers with a grain of salt too. Note they also recommended the RT-AX58U model too, which is a bad suggestion today.

Your call, but the few extra dollars for the RT-AX86U (U) model or even more dollars for the very well (hardware) balanced GT-AX6000 model, will be far better purchases if you plan on using these as main routers for as long as possible.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!