What's new

ASUS-RT-AX82U Router Randomly disconnecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello again. Hope you're all well. I'm now back from my holiday and just to let you know that the new router is doing fine so far. No issues at all, except of course that the firmware is not the latest.

Hello again. Hope you're all well. I'm now back from my holiday and just to let you know that the new router is doing fine so far. No issues at all, except of course that the firmware is not the latest.
Hi there,
glad to hear things are stable for now. I did want to mention that I owned and used an RT-AX82U for a couple weeks. For the most part it was a positive experience. However, I had some issues with smart bulbs randomly disconnecting, or not responding correctly in routines. I decided to try the RT-AX86U, and so far it's doing very good. I just got it, set it up, and put it into service last evening: so only several hours so far.

What I can say though, is both the 82U, and 86U had the initial problem out of the box, which was needing to disable WiFi 6 on the 2.4G channel, as they don't like it and refuse to connect correctly. However, I noticed that they started functioning back to normal on the 86U after changing the settings while the 82U was never 100% stable with these devices. I love the design of the 82U, and for 5G, and wired connections it's good, even for most 2.4 it's OK as well. So here is my suggestion, if you continue to have random issues with the 82U, give the 86U a try. It could be a combination of the firmware, or even hardware in the 82U some devices don't like.

Hi there,
glad to hear things are stable for now. I did want to mention that I owned and used an RT-AX82U for a couple weeks. For the most part it was a positive experience. However, I had some issues with smart bulbs randomly disconnecting, or not responding correctly in routines. I decided to try the RT-AX86U, and so far it's doing very good. I just got it, set it up, and put it into service last evening: so only several hours so far.

What I can say though, is both the 82U, and 86U had the initial problem out of the box, which was needing to disable WiFi 6 on the 2.4G channel, as they don't like it and refuse to connect correctly. However, I noticed that they started functioning back to normal on the 86U after changing the settings while the 82U was never 100% stable with these devices. I love the design of the 82U, and for 5G, and wired connections it's good, even for most 2.4 it's OK as well. So here is my suggestion, if you continue to have random issues with the 82U, give the 86U a try. It could be a combination of the firmware, or even hardware in the 82U some devices don't like.
Thanks iFrogMac. I'm afraid I haven't got the luxury of owning an 86U and the 82U has only recently been replaced. Are you suggesting that I should disable wifi 6?

Thanks iFrogMac. I'm afraid I haven't got the luxury of owning an 86U and the 82U has only recently been replaced. Are you suggesting that I should disable wifi 6?
On the 2.4G band, yes, start with that, there are other settings to disable as well that might help. As far as the 86U being the more expensive model I understand that. Since I'm only going on one day with the new router. I'm giving it time, but so far I've been impressed.

Just a thought, if you continue to have issues with the 82U, the 86S might be the sweet spot between the two, it's about $200 on amazon.

If you would like to try the RT-AX86U, I just saw that Amazon has it now in the Zaku II edition for $238. If not that's fine, just wanted to give you the opportunity to take advantage of the deal, if the 82U is still giving you issues. If you are interested, the link is here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093Z8T7JS/?tag=snbforums-20

Hello,

I'm dating an X82U because it has a used nice price.
After reading this topic I got frustrated.
I don't have time to be every week messing and rebooting the router.
That's why I've sold my AC88U... tired of having issues on LAN ports and UPNP services, and others services, like connecting to TV, or to Shield TV.

Is the AX82U still with issues? Or the latest firmware solve all problems?

Any router advice? I need to buy one in the next weeks.

Best regards