What's new

Release Asus RT-AX86 Series Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24231 (11/07/2023)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whoa, now that's SHOCKING coming from u! i've read countless responses from u and l&ld over the years on the merlinware blog, so reading this is meaningful. i use static ip's and openvpn extensively. merlin's ui (director) was so much easier to navigate. do u know if that was incorporated into stockware?
Director? Think you mean VPN Director? Asus has VPN Fusion for VPN client management. VPN Server has Wireguard and an older version of OpenVPN that still works well for me. I do not use VPN client on the router. If you use static IP addresses assigned at the client there is no problem. Just leave room in the DHCP Server settings for the static address clients. If you use manually assigned IP addresses there is still no problem other than the 64 client limit. Asus does not yet have DNS Director. Asus does have DoT and DNSSEC.

Director? Think you mean VPN Director? Asus has VPN Fusion for VPN client management. VPN Server has Wireguard and an older version of OpenVPN that still works well for me. I do not use VPN client on the router. If you use static IP addresses assigned at the client there is no problem. Just leave room in the DHCP Server settings for the static address clients. If you use manually assigned IP addresses there is still no problem other than the 64 client limit. Asus does not yet have DNS Director. Asus does have DoT and DNSSEC.
indeed. fusion is a bit too clunky for my tastes. merlin's director ui just nails it! mind u, this is for my personal use at home, so the 64 client limit is not a factor. i use nord and there are times when a given adapter may just stop working on a particular wsite. as a result, it's removed from that tunnel and directed to the wan or in some cases another tunnel (tcp/udp). director, allows me to control which static clients are tunneled and i can place them on different tunnels - it's a beautiful thing, especially with streamers like prime and netflix.

I used to test Asuswrt-Merlin first and when I find something broken test Asuswrt after. Now I test Asuswrt only. Whatever closed source is broken there is usually broken in next Asuswrt-Merlin on the same base as well. I also get more consistent Wi-Fi performance in Asuswrt. It was impossible to test wireless AiMesh in 386 base Asuswrt-Merlin because it was broken. Asuswrt is often newer firmware as well. UPnP in Asuswrt-Merlin doesn't work in double NAT, but works in stock Asuswrt. May be important for gamers. No custom scripts or complex VPN configurations - Asuswrt works well. Wireless AiMesh mixed - Asuswrt. Someone wants auto firmware update option - Asuswrt. Non technical and can't troubleshoot themselves - Asuswrt.

Last edited:
I used to test Asuswrt-Merlin first and when I find something broken test Asuswrt after. Now I test Asuswrt only. Whatever closed source is broken there is usually broken in next Asuswrt-Merlin on the same base as well. I also get more consistent Wi-Fi performance in Asuswrt. It was impossible to test wireless AiMesh in 386 base Asuswrt-Merlin because it was broken. Asuswrt is often newer firmware as well. UPnP in Asuswrt-Merlin doesn't work in double NAT, but works in stock Asuswrt. May be important for gamers. No custom scripts or complex VPN configurations - Asuswrt works well. Wireless AiMesh mixed - Asuswrt. Someone wants auto firmware update option - Asuswrt. Non technical and can't troubleshoot themselves - Asuswrt.
yeah, i wanna say that i've read you as well on the merlinware blog. if i'm not mistaken, you may have expressed some frustration with a lack of acknowledgement/support on one or more issues over the last 12-18 months. well, that certainly got me woke as i was also having some vpn problems and pretty much got ignored.

:) given the price i pay for this info, i've learned to roll with it as most folks seem to do what they can to help. with my background, i've come to appreciate test; course, that's from my corporate days when test could hold up my release! so thanks for all that you've done. when wrt improves the vpn ui, i'll likely return as i'm a fairly basic user but fusion ain't gettin' it for me..

that said, on occasion, i do experience some flakey behavior that seems to resolve with a reboot. more so now than ever since i've meshed, but it's tolerable.

Anyone is free to decide what they want to run on their router. This thread is about Asuswrt 388_24231 release.

don't want to jynx it but 160mhz is holding up better than ever on this firmware. didn't change anything and a dirty update.

Just reverted to this version from an older version of Merlin firmware. I’m finding that the newer Merlin firmware has a flaw in there somewhere that causes the router memory to steadily climb and then the router craps out. It could be in this base code too, but I’m willing to try this latest version…

Just reverted to this version from an older version of Merlin firmware. I’m finding that the newer Merlin firmware has a flaw in there somewhere that causes the router memory to steadily climb and then the router craps out. It could be in this base code too, but I’m willing to try this latest version…
i'm currently see ram running at 94% utilization. so i'll pay attention. i'm looking at this blog cause a few days ago, i had a persistent 100% (x4) cpu utilization and several devices just went bonkers. a reboot brought things back to normal. even though it only happened once, that was enough to bring me here.

If you run SMB and use the router for file sharing the RAM usage can go up to above 90% and stay there until a reboot. It is also possible for older and other firmware's to have a memory leak. If you do not use file sharing turn off Samba/Network Place.

Noticed the internet had dropped in the early hours of the morning, wireless was still broadcasting so that was ruled out. When checking the modem it did not indicate there was any issues with the line, it finally came back on 2 hours later. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar issue, I am using the latest firmware.

Noticed the internet had dropped in the early hours of the morning, wireless was still broadcasting so that was ruled out. When checking the modem it did not indicate there was any issues with the line, it finally came back on 2 hours later. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar issue, I am using the latest firmware.
Maybe check with your provider to see if they were doing maintenance or something had gone down. That sounds more likely what it was. When Cox was doing upgrades / maintenance, the router lights didn't change status, the modem did, but that's hit or miss. The way I knew what was going on was to check the Cox app, and it gave me the service notification of work going on, or repairs, etc. So at least if you can do that, you'll know for sure which end it was on.

Last edited:
1/2 year later an another bunch of fixes/improvements. Anyone upgrade? All good?

48 hours in and everything still working good. No memory issue present, which is the one issue I was most worried about.

Left the router running with all TrendMicro components enabled, Web History got locked as usual and not updating.

1699923454184.png

1699923469117.png

Some things will never get fixed, I guess. Why is it even there if not working properly for so many firmware releases?

Everything working well so far after the update! Even keeping 160mhz locked in. "even though I have to keep it channel locked at 52 in my area"

From latest Merlin to 3.0.0.4.388_24231 (11/07/2023), now seeing this, hmm?

Rebooted...checked WAN-DDNS, all is active and registration is successful....

Nov 14 11:59:58 ddns: IP address, server and hostname have not changed since the last update.
Nov 14 13:00:00 ddns: IP address, server and hostname have not changed since the last update.
Nov 14 14:00:00 ddns: IP address, server and hostname have not changed since the last update.

From latest Merlin to 3.0.0.4.388_24231 (11/07/2023), now seeing this, hmm?

Rebooted...checked WAN-DDNS, all is active and registration is successful....

Nov 14 11:59:58 ddns: IP address, server and hostname have not changed since the last update.
Nov 14 13:00:00 ddns: IP address, server and hostname have not changed since the last update.
Nov 14 14:00:00 ddns: IP address, server and hostname have not changed since the last update.
You have enabled WAN IP and hostname verification set to 60 minutes?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!