What's new

Release Asus RT-AX86 Series Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24231 (11/07/2023)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I saw DDNS messages with No-IP, nothing to worry about. There are changes in DDNS and certificates.

I saw DDNS messages with No-IP, nothing to worry about. There are changes in DDNS and certificates.
I am paranoid, since everything is working well I shall ignore :)

"check automatically" what do you mean?
Well, with the exception of www.asus.com and www.oray.com the other DDNS providers listed have the "WAN IP and hostname verification" option. My guess is that the www,asus,com does the check for WAN IP and hostname verification automatically without having to select the option.

Well, with the exception of www.asus.com and www.oray.com the other DDNS providers listed have the "WAN IP and hostname verification" option. My guess is that the www,asus,com does the check for WAN IP and hostname verification automatically without having to select the option.
Maybe rebooting my modem, then the router would help? But since everything works fine its probably best not to worry...

Maybe rebooting my modem, then the router would help? But since everything works fine its probably best not to worry...
Nope. There is nothing to fix. I see the same log messages every hour. Nothing to worry about.

Its available now on the US site:
https://www.asus.com/us/networking-...s/rt-ax86u/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=RT-AX86U

ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24231
Version 3.0.0.4.388_24231
71.34 MB
2023/11/07
Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
- Fixed v6plus related Issues.
- Fixed ipv6 network service filter not work.
- Resolved an issue that caused hostname errors in the DDNS service.
- Resolved OpenVPN Server TAP Mode Issue.
- Fixed the problem that the AiCloud app cannot add router on Android 9.
- Ensured consistent display of client status on the WireGuard server.
- Enhanced system stability when accessing the WireGuard Server with DMZ enabled.
- Improved stability when enabling or disabling the WireGuard server.
- Optimized memory utilization and fixed an occasional server error when registering DDNS with an app.
- Corrected a bug encountered when adding a rule to the network services filter.

Security Fixes:
- Fixed several curl vulnerabilities.
- Fixed FFmpeg vulnerabilities.
- Corrected an OpenVPN vulnerability categorized as CWE-134.
- Strengthened protection against SSH brute force attacks.
- Fixed OpenSSL vulnerabilities.

Please unzip the firmware file, and then verify the checksum.
SHA256: f1a34160e7bb36d6867496020455ed084cd4c307a265cae77f22360166e1ccfb

Download:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...T_AX86U_AX86S_300438824231.zip?model=RT-AX86U
There is an issue when you have more than one Wireguard. When booting the router, the first will connect. The second or third will remain in connecting until you manually stop those connections and start them. I had to go back to the June Firmware, as I use two Wiregiard VPNs and have to boot daily, this would be annoying!

There is an issue when you have more than one Wireguard. When booting the router, the first will connect. The second or third will remain in connecting until you manually stop those connections and start them. I had to go back to the June Firmware, as I use two Wiregiard VPNs and have to boot daily, this would be annoying!
I think you're the first one who has mentioned VPNs, or Wireguard on this thread. As a whole, just on what I've read, it seems like the technology as a whole, or at least the implementation Asus uses is overall buggy. Seems like I've read numerous problems with it.

I don't use VPNs personally, so can't comment on personal experience.

You have reported this issue for the AX86U Pro as well. Do you have both routers and can confirm the issue is the same for both?

This update would appear to have broken Entware.

As far as I can tell upon initial investigation it is no longer performing the function defined in the nvram variable "script_usbmount". It was working perfectly across reboots before I did the firmware update but now the mount that I was expecting to be set up is not present and Entware is not getting initialized properly. I'm still investigating but this is really bad news for me as I rely on Entware heavily.

Is your drive failing?

As far as I can tell upon initial investigation it is no longer performing the function defined in the nvram variable "script_usbmount".
That hasn't worked on stock firmware for a while now. There are multiple posts about it. For example here.

That hasn't worked on stock firmware for a while now. There are multiple posts about it. For example here.
It's been working fine for me until this very last update, although I needed to make a minor change or two to the code, to fix that problem.

I've done some more investigation and it seems that the code which used to invoke the command in the nvram variable "script_usbmount" just isn't running anymore.

Maybe Merlin has some insights, as he is far familiar with the code.

Is there a source code repository that I can look at that would show the latest changes in the logic? They have either stripped out the call that does this or they have changed the conditions that invoke it.

I've done some more investigation and it seems that the code which used to invoke the command in the nvram variable "script_usbmount" just isn't running anymore.
As I said, this has been discussed before. There's no mystery, it was a deliberate decision by Asus to remove that feature because of security issues.

If you look in Merlin's current source code you can see it's also been disabled there as well, when it wasn't back in his June GPL merge.

Last edited:
As I said, this has been discussed before. There's no mystery, it was a deliberate decision by Asus to remove that feature because of security issues.

If you look in Merlin's current source code you can see it's also been disabled there as well, when it wasn't back in his June GPL merge.
I'm not sure why it was still working in that case in my previous firmware version. That was, as far as I'm aware, only one revision earlier than this one. I have managed to get some of the functionality working using the post that you linked to but there is a timing issue which is causing me problems. I will figure it out somehow...

Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it.

so I have an AiMesh setup with main router (RT-AX86U and children RT-AX58U), after the upgrade and reboot, all my 2.4 ghz (mostly smart devices, cameras, smart plugs) are automatically connected only to the RT-AX58U that is upstairs, while most are closer to the main router at RT-AX86U. Some smart plugs also fails to connect to the network after the firmware upgrade.

Has anybody seen this issue before?

After downgrade my RT-AX86U back to earlier firmware (3.0.0.4.388_23285) 2023/05/15, everything works again.

so I have an AiMesh setup with main router (RT-AX86U and children RT-AX58U), after the upgrade and reboot, all my 2.4 ghz (mostly smart devices, cameras, smart plugs) are automatically connected only to the RT-AX58U that is upstairs, while most are closer to the main router at RT-AX86U. Some smart plugs also fails to connect to the network after the firmware upgrade.

Has anybody seen this issue before?

After downgrade my RT-AX86U back to earlier firmware (3.0.0.4.388_23285) 2023/05/15, everything works again.
I made the mistake of upgrading to this version of firmware at the same time as adding an additional AiMesh node (RP-AX56) so I don't know which was the cause but I have seen AiMesh issues for the first time since. I have seen devices that suddenly attach themselves to a far away node with worse connectivity even though they are bound to the router which is much closer - it shows that message saying that it overrides the binding. Since it was connected to a guest network I restricted it to the router only and the device just then refused to connect to the network full stop.

So yeah, I am seeing my first ever AiMesh issues in many months since this update.

I have the same problem as clownfishman. After installing this firmware via the Administration screen my Kasa EP10 smartplugs which use 2.4 ghz fail to connect so I had to back off as well.

I have the same problem as clownfishman. After installing this firmware via the Administration screen my Kasa EP10 smartplugs which use 2.4 ghz fail to connect so I had to back off as well.

You didn't specify if you were also using AIMesh vs a single router with this issue. In the past I've had quite a bit of trouble with my Wiz bulbs disconnecting on any router. The fix for me was to put the bulbs on their own 2.4GHZ guest with intranet access disabled so there was no interaction between the guest and main network(s). Maybe try that with your plugs, if you haven't already. Also I have a couple of amazon smart plugs, and they function normally on the main 2.4ghz network. It was only the bulbs which seem to need their own network.

I haven't tried any Kasa products, just TP-Link routers.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!