What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Actually, I would say it seems that the wifi on 5ghz has improved. It used to hit my iPhone for nearly 800Mbps after a reboot and slowly drop to around 600 consistently as it ran for a while. Now it is 750-775 after 12 hours. Who knows, maybe as it runs longer the same behavior will settle in. I don't know if the wifi drivers were even updated with this release.

Well smooth is not what’s happening here. Across the 388 codebase (ASUS or Merlín) WiFi has been a headache.

After a flash, the 5Ghz channel doesn’t come up, requires a second reboot to be visible, yet in the GUI it shows on and regardless of toggling the on/off it doesn’t come up without the second reboot, on the AX86 mesh nodes. AX88 on 388.1 not having that problem. Across every 388 codebase on AX86 regardless whether ASUS or Merlín it’s happened.

Using ASUS Firmware on the Mesh node due to a GUI bug showing no connection but as a status, connection is great, wired backhaul

This version of firmware has the devices bouncing from one AP to another, even though they are bound to the physically nearest AP (same room in most cases).

Had to pick specific channels for both 2.4 and 5 versus Auto to keep it somewhat stable under 388 code base.

This morning had one AX86 mesh node, on this release just stop working, requiring an on/off cycle to get working again. Then another 15 minutes to have the final device connect (even after a unbind/bind, to get it to connect.

Since the move to this release for the AX86 mesh nodes (AX88 on 388.1 as router) I’ve had to reboot (actually power cycle) a number of WiFi devices, cameras, Tablets, Soundbar as they would show connected then a few seconds later, disconnected only to show as connected after a few more seconds, and repeat that cycle non stop until restarted (power cycled).

When it’s working well, seeing about a 150Mbps to 250Mbps difference on Ookla Speedtest when connected to a AX86 mesh node vs AX88 router. Different runs, different servers, throughout the day on the same device (using ASUS app on iPhone to confirm which AP it’s connecting on to get an average. Hero numbers, 840Mbps download (Ookla and Netflix Fast) only to get to 550Mbps when connected to the AX88. Usually I’m running 650Mbps across both prior to the 388 codebase, 1GbE wired backhaul from each AX86 to the AX88 with AT&T 1Gb fiber.

Seriously considering going back to 386.7-2 on everything just to have some WiFi stability.

Would help matters somewhat if AiMesh nodes would forward their logs to the parent router, make it selective if needed to not overrun the router. But it would sure be nice to have a Wireless log that showed the detail across everything. Not to mention the system log to correlate incidents across devices.

Now just waiting for the next incident to force the decision to move back to 386.7-2 on the router and nodes, though remaining hopeful I won’t have to.
You may be better off to just use the Asus firmware on the router and AiMesh nodes. And, don't mess with the default WIFI settings!

Well smooth is not what’s happening here. Across the 388 codebase (ASUS or Merlín) WiFi has been a headache.

After a flash, the 5Ghz channel doesn’t come up, requires a second reboot to be visible, yet in the GUI it shows on and regardless of toggling the on/off it doesn’t come up without the second reboot, on the AX86 mesh nodes. AX88 on 388.1 not having that problem. Across every 388 codebase on AX86 regardless whether ASUS or Merlín it’s happened.

Using ASUS Firmware on the Mesh node due to a GUI bug showing no connection but as a status, connection is great, wired backhaul

This version of firmware has the devices bouncing from one AP to another, even though they are bound to the physically nearest AP (same room in most cases).

Had to pick specific channels for both 2.4 and 5 versus Auto to keep it somewhat stable under 388 code base.

This morning had one AX86 mesh node, on this release just stop working, requiring an on/off cycle to get working again. Then another 15 minutes to have the final device connect (even after a unbind/bind, to get it to connect.

Since the move to this release for the AX86 mesh nodes (AX88 on 388.1 as router) I’ve had to reboot (actually power cycle) a number of WiFi devices, cameras, Tablets, Soundbar as they would show connected then a few seconds later, disconnected only to show as connected after a few more seconds, and repeat that cycle non stop until restarted (power cycled).

When it’s working well, seeing about a 150Mbps to 250Mbps difference on Ookla Speedtest when connected to a AX86 mesh node vs AX88 router. Different runs, different servers, throughout the day on the same device (using ASUS app on iPhone to confirm which AP it’s connecting on to get an average. Hero numbers, 840Mbps download (Ookla and Netflix Fast) only to get to 550Mbps when connected to the AX88. Usually I’m running 650Mbps across both prior to the 388 codebase, 1GbE wired backhaul from each AX86 to the AX88 with AT&T 1Gb fiber.

Seriously considering going back to 386.7-2 on everything just to have some WiFi stability.

Would help matters somewhat if AiMesh nodes would forward their logs to the parent router, make it selective if needed to not overrun the router. But it would sure be nice to have a Wireless log that showed the detail across everything. Not to mention the system log to correlate incidents across devices.

Now just waiting for the next incident to force the decision to move back to 386.7-2 on the router and nodes, though remaining hopeful I won’t have to.
This is similar to what i'm experiencing. I went back to the previous firmware and haven't had these issues.

especially this:

Just updated my AX86S AiMesh Node. No initial problems but I I'll keep an eye out for anything unusual.

Anyone else experiencing some strange things with WireGuard? I finally got it to work, so it seems, but in the Asus GUI it still shows disconnected. But the WireGuard app on my clients shows incoming and outgoing traffic. What's up with that?

It's simple. WeirdGuard isn't production ready yet, for all model routers.

New firmware showing on GUI

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_22068
- Release Note -

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
1. Improved system stability.
2. Fixed the IPsec VPN compatibility issue with Win10.
3. Fixed the VPN fusion user interface issues under the HTTPS connection.
4. Fixed Client DOM Stored XSS vulnerability.
5. Improved Wireguard performance.
Nothing good to say about this release. Slow to start . . . Extremely sluggish web interface. Selecting any selection produces a popup asking ‘Do you want to wait’. Only solution is to revert to the previous version (3.0.0.4.388.21709).

Best regards,
Nat Ray

OK, I’ll ask. Any change to 160 MHz behavior or same?
It's working for me now, but I only have 1 device which can take advantage of it. Connecting it shows it is connected at 160Mhz while the rest of my devices including my iphone 14 Pro Max only show at 80Mhz.

Gave it another go this morning when I saw that the XT8 also has a firmware update bringing it to the same version. Same issues. Nodes keep going offline briefly causing devices to roam back to my main router. Even reset the nodes and readded them...same thing. This time i sent feedback to ASUS while the firmware was installed. Guess i'll have to stare at this "new update available" notifications until the next update :T

Hi. Why there aren't shown any updates in my RT-AX86U (with two AX86S mesh nodes) GUI? I'm still on 3.0.0.4.388_20566 :(

Anyone update and stable that has AiProtection enabled with 2.5Gb hardware connected? My GT-AX6000 with 2.5Gb modem and 2.5Gb switch connected to the 2.5Gb ports goes into reboot loop on .388.21617 with AiProtection enabled. If I disable AiProtection, works great. If I unplug 2.5Gb ports, doesn't reboot but I only have wi-fi....

I'm just looking for hope

Where can we find these, and all nodes or only the gateway?
GUI reset and initialize
Reset button
Hard factory reset
All work on router or node although the node reset is in GUI AiMesh config on the router

The GUI is incredibly sluggish with this release, bordering on unresponsive in some cases. First time I've experienced this with ASUS firmware for the AX86U.

The GUI is incredibly sluggish with this release, bordering on unresponsive in some cases. First time I've experienced this with ASUS firmware for the AX86U.
HTTP or HTTPS?

Hey guys,

I have just upgraded to 388.1 and it looked amazing. However, when I logged out of the router I lost all access to it when attempting to log back in. I've tried factory reset, as described in the official Asus page after a new firmware update. Also, I do have a security certificate issued under DDNS, but I am unsure if this is the case.

router.asus.com - only works after factory reset

(myddnspage).asuscomm.com:8443 - does not load

192.168.10.1 - does not load

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!