What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sativa

Occasional Visitor
New firmware showing on GUI

Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_22068
- Release Note -

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
1. Improved system stability.
2. Fixed the IPsec VPN compatibility issue with Win10.
3. Fixed the VPN fusion user interface issues under the HTTPS connection.
4. Fixed Client DOM Stored XSS vulnerability.
5. Improved Wireguard performance.

With all the complaints around 388, please report back with your impressions after you've had time to run with it.
I seem to be one of the very few that have no complaints or real issues with the 388 firmware. I do not expect any from this version either. True, my household is waking up and turning on devices but no complaints so far. The router is still complaining that there is a connection problem to my PoE switch but it just does not think a 100 MB connection to a 10-100 switch is OK (does not understand old technology).
Then there are the thousands of homeowners that will get the upgrade and be unaware that it happened. After all, this is a SOHO router designed for the "average" consumer. Just so happens that many of us "geeks" think Asus makes a pretty good product that we can tinker with. And yes, complain when it does not work the way we want it to work.

So Asus just gave us a Christmas present early. Actually a Chanukah present today. Thanks Asus.

May the blessings of the Season find you and your family at peace.

I seem to be one of the very few that have no complaints or real issues with the 388 firmware. I do not expect any from this version either. True, my household is waking up and turning on devices but no complaints so far. The router is still complaining that there is a connection problem to my PoE switch but it just does not think a 100 MB connection to a 10-100 switch is OK (does not understand old technology).
Then there are the thousands of homeowners that will get the upgrade and be unaware that it happened. After all, this is a SOHO router designed for the "average" consumer. Just so happens that many of us "geeks" think Asus makes a pretty good product that we can tinker with. And yes, complain when it does not work the way we want it to work.

So Asus just gave us a Christmas present early. Actually a Chanukah present today. Thanks Asus.

May the blessings of the Season find you and your family at peace.

Happy Holidays to you as well.

Just discovered that Entware has a new release today, so I just finished updating all my scripts.

Updated via GUI, good luck everyone. Merry Christmas.

Professional Settings = Edited
AiProtection = on
Parental Controls = on
Mesh Nodes = none
VPN = none

AdaptiveQoS - I have tried with it set to on and prioritize gaming only (xboxes in the house) no problems on or off.

Last edited:
My AX86U went into bootloop after updating to this firmware via GUI. I later discover that the bootloop happens only after I enable wireguard vpn from vpn fusion. Had since revert back to 388.20566 which is more stable for me.

installed it lastnight. Woke up this morning and one of my Aimesh nodes (hardwired via 2.5G port) was offline. rebooted and everything is working. Not a good sign so far.

i've already given up. This thing is causing too many issues. devices keep getting moved around between my aimesh nodes, to nodes that arent even close to them. Never had this issue before. going back to the previous firmware. i'll have like 20+ devices on my rt-ax86u mesh node, and a couple minutes later its under 10. Wonder if something is going on that its ejecting them and then the node disconnects, which is why i found it disconnected this morning in the gui. Going back to 3.0.0.4.388_21709 which to me ran pretty stable.

Last edited:
There is no true Asus experience if you don't use one of the 3 factory reset options provided. For best results use all 3 and test again.

no issues so far here...

Installed today on AX86S. See a lot of this in the log.

WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)

but all seems to be working fine. Will the log fill up?

Installed today on AX86S. See a lot of this in the log.

WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)

but all seems to be working fine. Will the log fill up?
I doubt it. If the log troubles you don't look at it. You can also set the log level to 5 which will stop a lot of the useless stuff.

One day up on the new firmware. Router working as it should work! No signs of Scrooge except on this forum.
I'll follow your lead and hope some of your good luck rubs off for me :D and my RT-AX86U's.

All the best to you and yours.

Well smooth is not what’s happening here. Across the 388 codebase (ASUS or Merlín) WiFi has been a headache.

After a flash, the 5Ghz channel doesn’t come up, requires a second reboot to be visible, yet in the GUI it shows on and regardless of toggling the on/off it doesn’t come up without the second reboot, on the AX86 mesh nodes. AX88 on 388.1 not having that problem. Across every 388 codebase on AX86 regardless whether ASUS or Merlín it’s happened.

Using ASUS Firmware on the Mesh node due to a GUI bug showing no connection but as a status, connection is great, wired backhaul

This version of firmware has the devices bouncing from one AP to another, even though they are bound to the physically nearest AP (same room in most cases).

Had to pick specific channels for both 2.4 and 5 versus Auto to keep it somewhat stable under 388 code base.

This morning had one AX86 mesh node, on this release just stop working, requiring an on/off cycle to get working again. Then another 15 minutes to have the final device connect (even after a unbind/bind, to get it to connect.

Since the move to this release for the AX86 mesh nodes (AX88 on 388.1 as router) I’ve had to reboot (actually power cycle) a number of WiFi devices, cameras, Tablets, Soundbar as they would show connected then a few seconds later, disconnected only to show as connected after a few more seconds, and repeat that cycle non stop until restarted (power cycled).

When it’s working well, seeing about a 150Mbps to 250Mbps difference on Ookla Speedtest when connected to a AX86 mesh node vs AX88 router. Different runs, different servers, throughout the day on the same device (using ASUS app on iPhone to confirm which AP it’s connecting on to get an average. Hero numbers, 840Mbps download (Ookla and Netflix Fast) only to get to 550Mbps when connected to the AX88. Usually I’m running 650Mbps across both prior to the 388 codebase, 1GbE wired backhaul from each AX86 to the AX88 with AT&T 1Gb fiber.

Seriously considering going back to 386.7-2 on everything just to have some WiFi stability.

Would help matters somewhat if AiMesh nodes would forward their logs to the parent router, make it selective if needed to not overrun the router. But it would sure be nice to have a Wireless log that showed the detail across everything. Not to mention the system log to correlate incidents across devices.

Now just waiting for the next incident to force the decision to move back to 386.7-2 on the router and nodes, though remaining hopeful I won’t have to.

Updated last night. No issues so far. I have a simple setup: one router, no mesh, no VPN.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!