What's new

Asus RT-AX86U connection timeouts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lCH3CKM4TEl

New Around Here
image1

Hello Guys,

I recently bought this AX 86 U router, I have my PC plugged into via ethernet cable, I use cat 8 cable. I watch a lot of streams (youtube and twitch) sometimes when I click streams or movies to fast forward a few seconds or minutes, my router just times out and resets the connection. During this time, I have no internet connection at all and its been happening more and more. I have the wifi enabled on this router and have multiple devices connected to it but I only notice the timeout issue when I am using my PC and watching streams/movies etc.

I just had this happen and logged into router webpage and looked at system log. I attached system log with this post ( I am not a network guru or anything so please don't hack me if I posted my IP address etc)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
333.png

How long is that Cat 8 cable?

I would replace it and use a quality Cat 5e for anything shorter than a 100' run. At least as a test.

If that doesn't solve the issue, what firmware are you running on the router? Was it working correctly on previous versions? A full reset may be needed to get the router/network back to a good/known state.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

How long is that Cat 8 cable?

I would replace it and use a quality Cat 5e for anything shorter than a 100' run. At least as a test.

If that doesn't solve the issue, what firmware are you running on the router? Was it working correctly on previous versions? A full reset may be needed to get the router/network back to a good/known state.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global
that Cat 8 cable I am using is long, about 50 Ft or so I think the cable I use is from amazon Brand Jadaol.
please tell me what is a good brand of cat 5e cable I should be using instead. I just checked the router is on latest firmware, I am using official firmware as well, not merlin. I always had this issue not a recent thing ever since I bought the router.

Running into something similar although on wired and wireless. It'll last maybe no more than 10 seconds and appears to be at random times. The webpage that I will be trying to access will load but not fully or if watching a video it will cut out for those 10 seconds and continue as normal. It happened with the stock Asus firmware and on Merlin 386.7_2 (still need to test more to be 100% confident). Leaning towards switching out my ethernet cables as suggested above.

EDIT - Well it just happened again - to note as well it seems to always happen at the top of the hour.

image1

Hello Guys,

I recently bought this AX 86 U router, I have my PC plugged into via ethernet cable, I use cat 8 cable. I watch a lot of streams (youtube and twitch) sometimes when I click streams or movies to fast forward a few seconds or minutes, my router just times out and resets the connection. During this time, I have no internet connection at all and its been happening more and more. I have the wifi enabled on this router and have multiple devices connected to it but I only notice the timeout issue when I am using my PC and watching streams/movies etc.

I just had this happen and logged into router webpage and looked at system log. I attached system log with this post ( I am not a network guru or anything so please don't hack me if I posted my IP address etc)

Any help is greatly appreciated.View attachment 44118
Are you streaming from the router media server off of a USB drive by any chance? If so, don't. Turn off the router media server and unplug the USB drive as a test. Even if you are not using the router media server turn it off.
AS others have said anything more than a CAT 5 or CAT5e cable is overkill.

This sounds very similar to the issue that I'm having, except that yours is dropping on the port connected to the computer. Are you seeing any Link Down / Link Up items in the log for the WAN port as well as the one to your computer?

For my part, I've swapped three different CAT5/e cables (and two router nodes!), and all experience the same issue

Are you streaming from the router media server off of a USB drive by any chance? If so, don't. Turn off the router media server and unplug the USB drive as a test. Even if you are not using the router media server turn it off.
AS others have said anything more than a CAT 5 or CAT5e cable is overkill.
no, I am streaming directly from the web.

This sounds very similar to the issue that I'm having, except that yours is dropping on the port connected to the computer. Are you seeing any Link Down / Link Up items in the log for the WAN port as well as the one to your computer?

For my part, I've swapped three different CAT5/e cables (and two router nodes!), and all experience the same issue
not sure how to check the link down/up items in the log for WAN, my router page only has 1 log and its called "system log" is there a separate section for WAN?

Running into something similar although on wired and wireless. It'll last maybe no more than 10 seconds and appears to be at random times. The webpage that I will be trying to access will load but not fully or if watching a video it will cut out for those 10 seconds and continue as normal. It happened with the stock Asus firmware and on Merlin 386.7_2 (still need to test more to be 100% confident). Leaning towards switching out my ethernet cables as suggested above.

EDIT - Well it just happened again - to note as well it seems to always happen at the top of the hour.
yes this sounds like the exact problem im having so since you are having it it might be software related? My settings are optimized from snb forums. I don't get the timeout every hour but it happens few times a day to the point where I have started to notice it

yes this sounds like the exact problem im having so since you are having it it might be software related? My settings are optimized from snb forums. I don't get the timeout every hour but it happens few times a day to the point where I have started to notice it
That is was I was starting to lean towards. For kicks I decided to enable QoS and so far I have not noticed anything. I have my logging all setup as well so if it does occur again I'll have something to go off of.

image1

Hello Guys,

Any help is greatly appreciated.View attachment 44118
I have the same logs on my new (3 days ago) AX86U and this beast worked like a charm for 3 days and then random drops a few times a day yesterday. Did some research and found the setting the under WAN called "DHCP query frequency" - I have set it to Continuous. 15 hours later still no disconnects. Maybe worth a try for you.

I have switched it to continuous mode and I am trying a new cable. My computer is connected to the port that says 2.5G, my cable from modem comes to the other WAN port. would that be a problem?
I have the same logs on my new (3 days ago) AX86U and this beast worked like a charm for 3 days and then random drops a few times a day yesterday. Did some research and found the setting the under WAN called "DHCP query frequency" - I have set it to Continuous. 15 hours later still no disconnects. Maybe worth a try for you.

That is was I was starting to lean towards. For kicks I decided to enable QoS and so far I have not noticed anything. I have my logging all setup as well so if it does occur again I'll have something to go off of.
can I ask how you have it plugged? I have my ethernet cable from my fiber model to the blue WAN port and then I connected my PC using ethernet again to the 2,.5G port

@Spartan, sorry, I don't buy Ethernet cable from Amazon (or anywhere online).

friend try the following enter your router section 192.168.1.1 log in and then go down to where it says WAN on the left I don't know if you have merlin already updated on the same WAN page And then there are tabs on the WAN page - Internet Connection once you find this go down to the bottom and look for this "Special Requirement from ISP" once you are there in this section it tells you something "DHCP query frequency" there something is displayed put "Continuous MODE" and then save it in which case APPLY and Give it a hard reset, that is, unplug the router that loses all electricity and plug it in and see how it goes... if you have the same problem again or you don't have internet, leave it as it was, that if you memorize what you flirt with, good luck, I'll leave you 2 images

Attachments

• Sin título.jpg
    Sin título.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Sin título1.jpg
    Sin título1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 139
@Spartan, sorry, I don't buy Ethernet cable from Amazon (or anywhere online).
After doing some research, I ended up ordering some CAT6 cables from monoprice after your comment that CAT7/CAT8 are just gimmicks.