What's new

Asus RT-AX86U Disconnection Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Running stock firmware when your intention is to run RMerlin firmware isn't a good idea, IMO. That is like learning to water ski when you want to become a swimming athlete.
Sorry, but this statement is complete nonsense and misses the entire reason for establishing a baseline. If you want to make pointless analogies a more appropriate one might be "learning to walk before you run".

This is not a good idea. 388.1_0 is the first Merlin release based on the 388 code. Like any .0 release you should expect problems. You should initially run the current stock firmware to establish a baseline. If it's still problematic try the final 386 release as that has had the most development. If neither work properly then it may well be a hardware issue.

This is a good idea Taylor. I have not been watching the thread for the AC models. This post might belong there. Radar2000, try reading that thread and see if there are similar issues with drops. There are too many variables right now, you need to narrow down configuration and firmware.

Good luck

I have not been watching the thread for the AC models. This post might belong there.
Slightly confused at what you're suggesting. He has a problem with his AX86U, his AC87U is working fine. Maybe you're thinking there may be a common problem that spans multiple firmware branches/releases?

If there are any SNB members here who are currently using an Asus AX86U with Rogers Ignite TV and are not experiencing any wifi drop issues, I would appreciate your feedback and advice on how you set up your Asus AX86U.
Is the problem only with WiFi (and you performed a factory reset after installing Merlin)? If so, then it might be an issue specifically with 388.1_0. Some people have reported WiFi problems with the RT-AX86U on that release. RMerlin suggested that if they couldn't resolve them to go back to 386.7_2.

I'm going to return the Asus AX86U and exchange it for another new unit to see if the first unit was defective.

No need to return it. It's a 388 base early days firmware issue. Revert to earlier version firmware and wait. In my testing Asuswrt 386_49599 was the most stable as well as Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 release. You can try your luck with Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7_2, but better Wi-Fi is not guaranteed.

This is a good idea Taylor. I have not been watching the thread for the AC models. This post might belong there. Radar2000, try reading that thread and see if there are similar issues with drops. There are too many variables right now, you need to narrow down configuration and firmware.

Good luck

Woops, You are correct. His problem seems to match that of many others. The first thing to try is to turn off DFS and only use 80 wide channels for 5-GHZ. Also turn off Universal Beamforming in the professional tab.

Sorry, but this statement is complete nonsense and misses the entire reason for establishing a baseline. If you want to make pointless analogies a more appropriate one might be "learning to walk before you run".
No, it's not. I'm not missing anything.

Regardless of my analogy being appropriate or not.

When you're testing for 'x', you don't use 'y' and extrapolate a conclusion for 'x'.

Complete nonsense is faulty reasoning. Not the statements I made (taken in the context of the entire post that you're out partially quoting).

Thanks for the feedback Morris and ColinTaylor. I'll give that a try and will advise.

you know, over the 2 years I've had this router.. I have to say, somethings has been 'very weird' and took me quite sometime to figure out.

Recently about a month ago, I noticed for some random reason, throughout the day, my wifi latency on the 2.4ghz ( 5ghz was impacted too, just not as obvious ), spikes to very high latency. After isolating devices off my network, eventually I came across my Sony TV ( even though Wifi is not enabled, I am using a wired connection for this TV ), for some weird reason, whenever I power of the TV, while it was still set as the hdmi input of the ps5, it would bog down my entire wifi network. Factory reset on my router didn't fix the issue. I swapped my AX86u with the one at my brother's home and same issue happens when I was using his router. So in short, it was not the router. I did a factory reset on the TV, and so far, it hasn't came back.. at least not yet. This was one of the weirdest issues that I've encountered, and during black friday/boxing day, I was seriously debating on buying another router because I thought my router was going bad. Also what made it weird was, if I 'changed the HDMI input with the tv remote' on the TV, to anything other than the PS5, my network would be stable again. If it was with high latency, it would immediately go back to normal. Some web searches also seem to point to PS5 having some interference to people's networks. It's also a bit stupid that you physically cannot disable wifi scanning on the PS5, there is just no setting in the PS5 for that at all.

In short, if it is a new router, swap it. If it does the same, start finding isolating the stuff connected in your network. Possibly a device is causing the irregular performance and impacting everything else.

Update...

So I followed the suggestions above with regards to reset/unplug etc, and have dropped down from Merlin 388 to Merlin 386.5_2. I have also copied and applied the config settings from my old Asus AC87U and my Rogers Ignite box seems to be working fine without any Wifi dropouts. But, I have noticed the following now:

- I can't seem to hit the high Wifi speeds as I did before with Merlin 388. I was getting anywhere from 400 to 700 down, but can only get as high as 300. Please note that my ISP service that I'm on has 1.5GB down. This is based on running a speed test on my iOS devices. When I run the admin speed test it's telling me I'm hitting 900.

- When logged into my Asus admin panel, I have the yellow exclamation mark indicating that I have an invalid IP address.

Any further recommendations/help in addressing the above would be appreciated.

Cheers!

- check your Wi-Fi settings and link speeds to clients
- check your DDNS settings

@Tech9 My Wi-Fi settings and client speeds are the same config from my previous working AC87U router. Not sure what else to check here.

Would you mind walking me through on how to get to the DNNS settings and what to look for?

Thank you.

@Tech9 My Wi-Fi settings and client speeds are the same config from my previous working AC87U router. Not sure what else to check here.

Would you mind walking me through on how to get to the DNNS settings and what to look for?

Thank you.
Did you use a config file from the AC87U on the AX86U? If so quickly do a Factory reset and configure manually!
Also, the Asus current firmware works well in spite of what others claim.

same config from my previous working AC87U router

The two routers have different radios and the best settings for BCM43684 are different from best settings for Quantenna QT3840BC. Don't just copy settings expecting the same results and don't test Wi-Fi speeds with mobile clients with built-in power saving features.

I don't know what DDNS service you are using.

Some others test. The results are in Asuswrt release thread. You can't even see what's not working on your 100Mbps ISP service. You can't even see much difference between clients connected to 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Just use your defaults with Smart Connect, any firmware.

Did you use a config file from the AC87U on the AX86U? If so quickly do a Factory reset and configure manually!
@bbunge Thanks! That seemed to have done the trick. Wifi speed tests to my IOS devices are now showing as 700 and the invalid IP address has also been resolved.

I'm going to continue to monitor and test using Merlin 386.5_2 and once I'm satisfied that there are no further wifi drop outs to the Rogers Ignite box, I'll try the Merlin 387 firmware and will then test accordingly.

Cheers!

Thanks @Tech9. My config settings from my previous AC87U were pretty much default, so I will keep the AX86U as default and will continue to monitor.

Cheers!

@bbunge Thanks! That seemed to have done the trick. Wifi speed tests to my IOS devices are now showing as 700 and the invalid IP address has also been resolved.

I'm going to continue to monitor and test using Merlin 386.5_2 and once I'm satisfied that there are no further wifi drop outs to the Rogers Ignite box, I'll try the Merlin 387 firmware and will then test accordingly.

Cheers!
Glad to have helped. Some do not know how to interpret what people write or say...
I recommend you give the Asus 388 code firmware a try. I have found it works best for me if I do not change the default WIFI settings. Configuring it with the Asus router app also works well.

Some do not know how to interpret what people write or say...

Some just enjoy wasting someone else's time. Try this, try that, reboot, reset, try again...

Asuswrt 388_22068 has broken QoS as well. Details in the release thread. And @radar2000 is running Asuswrt-Merlin, not stock Asuswrt.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!