What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49447 (2022/06/20)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The router needs to clear for RADAR and that takes time. Try 20,40,80,160. It does wprk
Does this latest version work differently than the previous AX86U or the latest AX88U firmware? I see different behavior and the router was still showing only an 80MHz channel after hours.

dhcp_staticlist - OK
custom_clientlist - OK
custom_usericon - what about this one?
Don't bother with setting any icons.
Although I have found that the router will change the icons automatically if it can detect what kind of device it is.
As you can see the router set icons automatically for the Windows PC, AndroidTV and Belkin USB adapter.

Screenshot 2022-06-21 214356.jpg

dhcp_staticlist - OK
custom_clientlist - OK
custom_usericon - what about this one?
Tech9, this is what I do, saving and restoring from Thumbdrive with Folder ASUS:

To save Device icons
cp -r /jffs/usericon /tmp/mnt/ASUS/

To restore Device icons
cp -r /tmp/mnt/ASUS/usericon /jffs/
nvram commit && reboot

Does this latest version work differently than the previous AX86U or the latest AX88U firmware? I see different behavior and the router was still showing only an 80MHz channel after hours.
According to Merlin the WIFI drivers are new. With that in mind a power cycle is in order and not just a reboot. May also be worth a reset and initialize then manually configure.

According to Merlin the WIFI drivers are new. With that in mind a power cycle is in order and not just a reboot. May also be worth a reset and initialize then manually configure.

I'm having the same issue. 160 MHz will work for a minute or so and then switches to 80 MHz. Kinda like 2.4 GHz when set to 20/40 never goes to 40 MHz. Even selecting 160 MHz only gives the same result. DFS shows the channel is cleared for 36/160. It worked on previous firmware (Asus and Merlin) if set to 160 only.

I have tried Auto and manual channels and power cycled multiple times. Full reset/initialize after loading new firmware.

I'm having the same issue. 160 MHz will work for a minute or so and then switches to 80 MHz. Kinda like 2.4 GHz when set to 20/40 never goes to 40 MHz. Even selecting 160 MHz only gives the same result. DFS shows the channel is cleared for 36/160. It worked on previous firmware (Asus and Merlin) if set to 160 only.

I have tried Auto and manual channels and power cycled multiple times. Full reset/initialize after loading new firmware.
Are you using WPA2/ WPA3-Personal? If not try it. Then reconnect the AX clients to enable WPA3 use.

DFS shows the channel is cleared for 36/160.

Does this mean DFS prohibits 160MHz bandwidth around control ch 36, so the router drops to 80MHz bw? I believe so.

I get the same experience here with both 46061 and 49447 firmware... DFS interferes with using low DFS channels at 160MHz; and I can't try/use high DFS channels because some clients can't see DFS control channels. So, I use ax at 80MHz with a non-DFS control channel (fixed ch 36-48/149-161; or ch Auto, excluding DFS control channels... fixed, no DFS; or auto, no DFS).

I've got a regional airport in the area. So my WiFi6 usage is effectively capped at 80MHz bandwidth. WiFi6 is limited.

About WiFi6e... is PSC another DFS?! :(

OE

Last edited:
I did a complete power cycle. After the firmware updates, the GUI forces you to do so.

Last edited:
Does this mean DFS prohibits 160MHz bandwidth around control ch 36, so the router drops to 80MHz bw? I believe so.

I get the same experience here with both 46061 and 49447 firmware... DFS interferes with using low DFS channels at 160MHz; and I can't try/use high DFS channels because some clients can't see DFS control channels. So, I use ax at 80MHz with a non-DFS control channel (fixed ch 36-48/149-161; or ch Auto, excluding DFS control channels... fixed, no DFS; or auto, no DFS).

I've got a regional airport in the area. So my WiFi6 usage is effectively capped at 80MHz bandwidth. WiFi6 is limited.

OE
I’m back on 46061 with 36 as the control channel and it’s back working again. The only variable connected to it not working is the new firmware.

I did a complete power cycle. After the firmware updates, the GUI forces you to do so.

Cycling power has always been optional here. I recommend it since having discovered ports left open after a firmware update on previous equipment.

OE

Last edited:

OE

I'm pretty sure that the channel cleared message means no DFS conflict detected. It's the same message I received when 160 MHz was working.

I’m back on 46061 with 36 as the control channel and it’s back working again. The only variable connected to it not working is the new firmware.

Maybe. Maybe not... maybe the new firmware with new wireless driver is more sensitive to radar. Do you have any possible radar in your area?

OE

I'm pretty sure that the channel cleared message means no DFS conflict detected. It's the same message I received when 160 MHz was working.

Yeah, you may be right. I will watch it here more closely. So far, my 160MHz experience with my one ax client has been similar including 46061... it eventually drops to 80MHz.

OE

Last edited:
Maybe. Maybe not... maybe the new firmware with new wireless driver is more sensitive to radar. Do you have any possible radar in your area?

OE

there is an airport a few miles away, but they didn’t build it yesterday, and 160MHz has worked with more than one router (including this AX86U) for the 3 years I’ve had it enabled.

So I guess it’s possible that the new driver builds new checks or more scrutiny into the process with possibly lower thresholds. Obviously something changed or there’s a bug.

there is an airport a few miles away, but they didn’t build it yesterday, and 160MHz has worked with more than one router (including this AX86U) for the 3 years I’ve had it enabled.

So I guess it’s possible that the new driver builds new checks or more scrutiny into the process with possibly lower thresholds. Obviously something changed or there’s a bug.
Did you do a full reset, and manual reconfigure after the update to 49447? And, did you say that you forced the channel b/w to 160MHz, and your client still only connects at 80 MHz (this is interesting)?

And, did you say that you forced the channel b/w to 160MHz, and your client still only connects at 80 MHz (this is interesting)?

My current conclusion about setting router max bandwidth:

20-40-80-160 (aka auto) - router varies its max bandwidth to suit its radio space.
fixed - user fixes router max bandwidth, subject to DFS.

Client should connect at its best bandwidth, subject to router max bandwidth and client channel support.

OE

there is an airport a few miles away, but they didn’t build it yesterday

Yes, but... if airport, then maybe radar. Radio is funny... my wireless backhaul to a detached garage (no vegetation) is at its weakest in heat/humidity/summer and stronger in winter, especially with snow on the ground. Simiar observation for neighboring WiFi. This doesn't support more radar now for you or since a recent firmware change, but... radio is funny.

What about radar from planes... perhaps a recent flight pattern change or new routes...

OE

My current conclusion about setting router max bandwidth:

20-40-80-160 (aka auto) - router varies its max bandwidth to suit its radio space.
fixed - user fixes router max bandwidth, subject to DFS.

Client should connect at its best bandwidth, subject to router max bandwidth and client channel support.

OE
I see, so setting b/w explicitly to 160 MHz on router, doesn't mean this will/can force it to 160 because of (potential) DFS interference. But, this doesn't apply to forcing 80MHz, because 80MHz is available without using DFS channels. Gotcha.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!