What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49447 (2022/06/20)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks, good to know.
Do you know why Asus removed scp?
It's part of this:

Code:
3. Added more security measures to block malware.

@bbunge - As you can see in the usr/bin directory the scp link which targets dropbearmulti has been removed in the latest firmware.
Without it WinSCP will not work.
Whether this was intentional or a mistake by Asus I do not know.
Asus did the same thing on the latest AC86 firmware so I think it was intentional.

View attachment 41993

View attachment 41994
Security? Samba still works and there is no reason to alter files on stock Asus firmware.

Security? Samba still works and there is no reason to alter files on stock Asus firmware.

Uploading the custom_clientlist and dhcp_staticlist is a lot faster than typing them all in after a reset.
Can't even download them from the router now to save for future uploading.

Uploading the custom_clientlist and dhcp_staticlist is a lot faster than typing them all in after a reset.
Can't even download them from the router now to save for future uploading.
Whole lot easier to set static IP addresses at the client and narrow the DHCP pool.

Tried to update this morning and getting a 404 error from the official download link on the Asus site. Was the firmware pulled?

Tried to update this morning and getting a 404 error from the official download link on the Asus site. Was the firmware pulled?

I'm getting the same error on the US site. And I notice the OP's link site download link has a weird .zip.zip ending and seems to work but the file has a weird .zip.zip ending. Something is up but maybe the firmware is not "pulled".

Did you try the webUI Check?

OE

Last edited:
Did you try the webUI Check?

It does show an available upgrade when I checked. I have auto upgrade disabled.

I’m a little wary to download the update in the GUI. I always download and do a checksum validation and manually update.

Also don’t want to jump the gun if there’s an issue.

I’m a little wary to download the update in the GUI. I always download and do a checksum validation and manually update.

Now am able to download from the support downloads site.

just a quick update everything seems stable for me. Hope everyone else has the same outcome.

System TimeTue, Jun 21 15:13:22 2022
* Daylight saving time is enabled in this time zone.
Uptime1 days 2 hour(s) 12 minute(s) 45 seconds

There's an issue somewhere...

The OP's site download is dated 6/21 (today), 77.01MB, with weird .zip.zip file ending.

The US site download is dated 6/20 (yesterday), 76.94MB.

And their verion 3.0.0.4.386.49447 and checksum b6a82176d1d68547f0aa122d3cc6b843 are the same.

The US site download is still not working (was working yesterday):
RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) (asus.com)

OE

Last edited:
I downloaded it last night (haven't updated yet). But the link is giving me the same 404 error now. Server maintenance/down?

I downloaded it last night (haven't updated yet). But the link is giving me the same 404 error now. Server maintenance/down?

Perhaps... the change in date and size and the .zip.zip file ending are odd for server maintenance.

OE

Perhaps... the change in date and size and the .zip.zip file ending are odd for server maintenance.

OE
Good point. Something is definitely up. Thankfully I have learned to wait a week or so before updating. Working from home I can't afford the down time if there is an issue, though strangely this stock release sounded very solid.

Good point. Something is definitely up. Thankfully I have learned to wait a week or so before updating. Working from home I can't afford the down time if there is an issue, though strangely this stock release sounded very solid.

Seems solid so far, and it seems to have fixed the issue I first reported here (also discussed here, although I doubt the 2.5G port is suspect).

OE

I flashed to the new Asus firmware for a day (full reset and setup as new) and my system log was flooded with messages about "wlc_send_bar" and "wlc_ampdu_recv_addba". I've since flashed back to Merlin.

Last edited:
I flashed to the new Asus firmware for a day (full reset and setup as new) and my system log was flooded with messages about "wld_send_bar" and "wlc_ampdu_recv_addba". I've since flashed back to Merlin.

Perhaps the higher logging level mentioned earlier. Doesn't seem to affect users. Maybe this is why the firmware downloads are upset today(?).

OE

I flashed to the new Asus firmware for a day (full reset and setup as new) and my system log was flooded with messages about "wlc_send_bar" and "wlc_ampdu_recv_addba". I've since flashed back to Merlin.
I do not believe these are error messages but "normal" wireless events that are being recorded. I did find that one MAC address with wld_send_bar was a tablet that had auto metered network detection turned on. Turning that off stopped the messages on the router.
This version of the firmware works very well for me. If the log entries bother you don't look at the log as long as the router is working.

So there appears to be a discrepancy in upload date and file size between two places where you can get the update. Bios and Firmware section has the older (by a day) and smaller file which is no longer available, while Driver and Tools section has the newer and larger update (which is available). Strangely, the have the same checksum.

1655831537200.png

1655831767900.png

I do not believe these are error messages but "normal" wireless events that are being recorded. I did find that one MAC address with wld_send_bar was a tablet that had auto metered network detection turned on. Turning that off stopped the messages on the router.
This version of the firmware works very well for me. If the log entries bother you don't look at the log as long as the router is working.
I get this message for a Ubuntu wireless laptop now and a Galaxy S10 phone. The phone has the network set to un-metered. Ubuntu I can find no setting for that. Did not get this message before this firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!