What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49447 (2022/06/20)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, but... if airport, then maybe radar. Radio is funny... my wireless backhaul to a detached garage (no vegetation) is at its weakest in heat/humidity/summer and stronger in winter, especially with snow on the ground. Simiar observation for neighboring WiFi. This doesn't support more radar now for you or since a recent firmware change, but... radio is funny.

OE

not debating or denying that radar may be affecting things, but if it is, that’s a change or bug in the latest version.

I see, so setting b/w explicitly to 160 MHz on router, doesn't mean this will/can force it to 160 because of (potential) DFS interference. But, this doesn't apply to forcing 80MHz, because 80MHz is available without using DFS channels. Gotcha.

Setting 160 means 160 max and it doesn't vary except for DFS. Clients still connect at their max bandwidth, but no greater than 160.

Setting 20-40-80-160 means it varies, including for DFS.

Until further notice! :)

OE

Updated last night. Things still are good this morning. I was able to get 160 working, but went back to 80 for range. I don't have any devices that need 160, the one that can take advantage is wired and 940Mbps is plenty.

Updated last night. Things still are good this morning. I was able to get 160 working, but went back to 80 for range. I don't have any devices that need 160, the one that can take advantage is wired and 940Mbps is plenty.

were you running 160MHz prior to the update? Do you have radar nearby that would interfere?

were you running 160MHz prior to the update? Do you have radar nearby that would interfere?
I have tested it, but don't leave it running. Specifically because not only is the main airport in the state here, but also an Air Force base. I just don't need to mess with it 80 is plenty and I get better range.

I have tested it, but don't leave it running. Specifically because not only is the main airport in the state here, but also an Air Force base. I just don't need to mess with it 80 is plenty and I get better range.
80 or 160 MHz should get the same range. Right now my router is at 80 MHz on channel 52. A week ago it did get hit by RADAR when a B29 flew over at 1500 feet.
You who are fretting over log entries and bandwidth should just chill, load this firmware and enjoy a solid WIFI connection and security! There is little if anything wrong with this firmware.

I know this method, but does it work on stock Asuswrt? They have removed SCP and still allow writes to jffs with ssh commands?
Yup. I copied the files over to the USB and back to /jffs. Should work for other settings, too. Not sure if the nvram command is needed.

You who are fretting over log entries and bandwidth should just chill, load this firmware and enjoy a solid WIFI connection and security! There is little if anything wrong with this firmware.
No thanks. I’ll wait for the next spin of the firmware wheel in a couple of months.

My connections weren’t more solid with this new version, and when you combine the reduced connection speeds due to lower channel bandwidth as well, why break something that didn’t need fixing to start?

No thanks. I’ll wait for the next spin of the firmware wheel in a couple of months.

My connections weren’t more solid with this new version, and when you combine the reduced connection speeds due to lower channel bandwidth as well, why break something that didn’t need fixing to start?
You are not giving it a chance.
Here are my connection stats this afternoon:
Code:
SSID: "xxxx"
noise: -88 dBm    Channel: 52/160
BSSID: 3C:7C:3F:E1:EB:54    Capability: ESS RRM
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
HE Capable:
    Chanspec: 5GHz channel 50 160MHz (0xec32)
    Primary channel: 52
    HT Capabilities: 40Mhz SGI20 SGI40
    Supported HT MCS : 0-31
    Supported VHT MCS:
        NSS1 Tx: 0-11        Rx: 0-11    
        NSS2 Tx: 0-11        Rx: 0-11    
        NSS3 Tx: 0-11        Rx: 0-11    
        NSS4 Tx: 0-11        Rx: 0-11    
    Supported HE MCS:
        80 Mhz:
        160 Mhz:

Interference Level: AcceptableMode    : AP Only

DFS status: state In-Service Monitoring(ISM) time elapsed 2843400ms radar channel cleared by DFS channel 52/160 (0xEC32)

Stations List                          
----------------------------------------
idx MAC               Associated Authorized   RSSI PHY PSM SGI STBC MUBF NSS   BW Tx rate Rx rate Connect Time
    FC:44:82:C6:xx:xx Yes        Yes        -61dBm ax  Yes Yes Yes  Yes    2 160M 2161.8M      6M     01:08:09
    B4:0E:DE:6D:xx:xx Yes        Yes        -71dBm ax  No  Yes Yes  Yes    2 160M 1152.9M  816.7M     01:22:47
    08:AA:55:08:xx:xx Yes        Yes        -65dBm ac  Yes Yes Yes  Yes    1  80M  292.5M      6M     01:35:09
    4C:03:4F:9B:xx:xx Yes        Yes        -62dBm ac  No  Yes Yes  Yes    2 160M 1733.3M   1560M     01:59:25
    18:4E:CB:C4:xx:xx Yes        Yes        -71dBm ac  Yes Yes Yes  Yes    1  80M  433.3M      6M     02:43:28
    94:EA:32:53:xx:xx Yes        Yes        -70dBm ax  Yes Yes No   No     2  80M 1080.9M      6M     03:52:37
    F8:62:14:A1:xx:xx Yes        Yes        -58dBm ac  Yes Yes No   No     1  80M  433.3M     24M     30:17:05
    38:81:D7:3D:xx:xx Yes        Yes        -70dBm n   Yes Yes No   No     1  40M    150M      6M     30:17:46
    B8:27:EB:62:xx:xx Yes        Yes        -51dBm ac  No  Yes No   No     1  80M  433.3M    351M     30:18:07
You will see the three clients connected at 160M. Two are AX and one is AC.

There is nothing wrong with this firmware. Only unbelievers...

At least this way physical access was necessary...

Not a big difference. WinSCP vs SSH on LAN. One doesn't allow you to copy/paste files, the other has no issues whatsoever. Good to know there is a Plan B though. Some people have many devices and would like to have the option to transfer everything.

Interestingly the "Safe Browsing" options in the App that can be assigned per device or as a family group are Cloudflare DNS resolvers. Possibly answering why they are not on the lists in the WAN DNS section. Maybe they used these through some other 'deal'. Odd though.

"Safe Browsing" options... Cloudflare DNS resolvers.

That's it? I would use CleanBrowsing instead. At least proven in Safe Browsing.

This option sounds like Port Forwarding -> Open NAT Game Profile! Or QoS -> Gear Accelerator, Game Device Prioritizing! :)

That's it? I would use CleanBrowsing instead. At least proven in Safe Browsing.

This option sounds like Port Forwarding -> Open NAT Game Profile! Or QoS -> Gear Accelerator, Game Device Prioritizing! :)
In the router GUI CleanBrowsing is an option for simple WAN DNS application. Only in the App can the Cloudflare DNS be applied (and it doesn't tell you it's Cloudflare). It just has different options: block malware, block adult content and so on. There is also nowhere I saw in the ASUS GUI to see this was applied in the App, which is why I wouldn't use it.

In the router GUI CleanBrowsing is an option for simple WAN DNS application. Only in the App can the Cloudflare DNS be applied (and it doesn't tell you it's Cloudflare). It just has different options: block malware, block adult content and so on. There is also nowhere I saw in the ASUS GUI to see this was applied in the App, which is why I wouldn't use it.
Doesn't the router GUI "System Log"->"Routing Table" show you what actual DNS is being applied?

Last edited:
Well, I just had to haul out the Android tablet with the Asus router app. Sure enough there are options for Cloudflare, Cloudflare Secure and Cloudflare Family. And I was able to apply settings to the router with the app. I set WAN DNS Server 1 to 1.1.1.1 even though the new router GUI does not have any Cloudflare presets. The app still has no way to enable and configure DoT but I guess this a geeky setting most folks would not know what it is for. Something like the highway speed limit? Oops, guess I should not go to that soap box...

Doesn't the router GUI "System Log"->"Routing Table" show you what actual DNS is being applied?
Good question, I’ll check that. It’s annoying the setting options aren’t in the GUI. It’s like their own implementation of DNS Filter since their lawyers panicked about the last one.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!