What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49599 (2022/07/12)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

as well as going between Merlin, to stock, or from Stock to Merlin.

I did it many times with no issues, but some preparation is needed when going from Asuswrt-Merlin back to Asuswrt. Functions not available in Asuswrt have to be disabled or changed to what's available in Asuswrt. In general, for most users I would recommend reset and fresh start.

I was just asking in general but I appreciate the extra info.

Then you should start a new topic... or read the sticky post about your topic.

OE

Last edited:
Well, I have 7 days 22 hours uptime on this firmware. That is almost a record recently for me the way I have been switching between Merlin and Asuswrt. I must admit that I have made a few changes that did not require a reboot. I started with CleanBrowsing DNS over DoT but noticed some lag. I discovered that my ISP anycast was routing me to CleanBrowsing servers in Europe. So back to Cloudflare Secure which is less than 100 miles away. I've also fixed the bandwidth on 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz and 5 GHz to 80 MHz (disabled 160 MHz) but am using auto channel. I was not having issues with 20-40-80-160 MHz but wanted to see if there was a noticeable desegregation which there was none. There were some tweaks to OpenVPN Server that I mentioned elsewhere.

This is a pretty good firmware! Will make changes to the settings in the future? Sure... And I am waiting for the 388 firmware to be released! I suppose I will have to mow the lawn a few times before that happens...if I have a lawn left...

Edit: I was tempted yesterday to try Merlin 386.7-1 that he fixed with "new" WIFI drivers. That passed quickly and I stayed with Asuswrt.

Last edited:
Well, I have 7 days 22 hours uptime on this firmware. That is almost a record recently for me the way I have been switching between Merlin and Asuswrt. I must admit that I have made a few changes that did not require a reboot. I started with CleanBrowsing DNS over DoT but noticed some lag. I discovered that my ISP anycast was routing me to CleanBrowsing servers in Europe. So back to Cloudflare Secure which is less than 100 miles away. I've also fixed the bandwidth on 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz and 5 GHz to 80 MHz (disabled 160 MHz) but am using auto channel. I was not having issues with 20-40-80-160 MHz but wanted to see if there was a noticeable desegregation which there was none. There were some tweaks to OpenVPN Server that I mentioned elsewhere.

This is a pretty good firmware! Will make changes to the settings in the future? Sure... And I am waiting for the 388 firmware to be released! I suppose I will have to mow the lawn a few times before that happens...if I have a lawn left...
This firmware does seem really solid.

My lawn is gawn. Heatwave has been the coup de grâce.

just got the router plus another AX58U for a mesh setup and updated both to the latest official firmware. hopefully this combo works well. any advice on setting up 160 MHZ? both routers support it.

just got the router plus another AX58U for a mesh setup and updated both to the latest official firmware. hopefully this combo works well. any advice on setting up 160 MHZ? both routers support it.

My advice for this is in my install notes.

OE

Advise to use default WIFI settings. Enable 160MHz and DFS then let the router and clients choose what they want to use.

Advise to use default WIFI settings. Enable 160MHz and DFS then let the router and clients choose what they want to use.
Curious. When I had DFS clicked for 160 MHZ it was hit an miss, now unclicked and on Auto channel, router picked channel 44 and 160 MHZ is way more solid….
Why even bothering with DFS channels?
Or is this to get 160 MHZ in the first place in a „crowded“ environment?

Curious. When I had DFS clicked for 160 MHZ it was hit an miss, now unclicked and on Auto channel, router picked channel 44 and 160 MHZ is way more solid….
Why even bothering with DFS channels?
Or is this to get 160 MHZ in the first place in a „crowded“ environment?
If it works for you, great!

If it works for you, great!
Question was more than what this answer may imply
Is the inclusion of DFS to increase chance of 160 MHZ, it’s not a requirement, asking because I’d like to know, but don’t…

now unclicked and on Auto channel, router picked channel 44

When 160MHz is used you have DFS channels in use as well, but this setting on the picture below applies for the Control Channel only.

1658759505307.png

Your router picked Control Channel 44 (36-48 @80MHz) in non-DFS range and will attempt 160MHz (36-64 @160MHz) using DFS range.

Question was more than what this answer may imply
Is the inclusion of DFS to increase chance of 160 MHZ, it’s not a requirement, asking because I’d like to know, but don’t…
Sorry. There have been so many complaints over 160MHz lately and when I try to explain what likely is happening my recommendations are ignored.
Tech9 explained what is happening in your case. Yes, DFS channels are still used for 160MHz but the main channel is in the UNII-1 range. You may want to give the DFS another try sometime but use 20-40-80-160 MHz bandwidth settings. Should enable 5 GHz operation to switch to non DFS channels and keep working when bounced by RADAR.

Is the inclusion of DFS to increase chance of 160 MHZ, it’s not a requirement, asking because I’d like to know

Maybe. The inclusion of DFS control channels permits the router to include the U-NII-2c band, which increases the 160MHz bw options from one (ch 36-64, half DFS) to two (ch 36-64, half DFS; and ch 100-128, all DFS). To include DFS control channels, all of your clients must support DFS channels... if one does not, then you should exclude DFS control channels and will only achieve 160MHz bw across ch 36-64, if permitted by DFS/the firmware. Study the 5.0 channel plan in my install notes to see this.

OE

Hello,
In first apologies for my English level.
I encounter a speed issue since I upgrade to this firmware last week.

Before this upgrade, I had speed tests on my phone between 400 and 900 Mbits download depending where I was in the house.
Now maximum is about 530 Mbits even WIFI is established at 1.2 Gbits in network properties .
I tried to connect my Laptop to AX86U LAN port and it's the same limit: 530 Mbits.
When I connect directly to the switch attached to my provider router I get 930 Mbits with 1 Gbit adapter and 1900 Gbits with 2.5 Gb adapter.
So provider is not the problem.

Does someone encounter same issues with 3.0.0.4.386_49599 firmware ?

Kind regards

Hello,
In first apologies for my English level.
I encounter a speed issue since I upgrade to this firmware last week.

Before this upgrade, I had speed tests on my phone between 400 and 900 Mbits download depending where I was in the house.
Now maximum is about 530 Mbits even WIFI is established at 1.2 Gbits in network properties .
I tried to connect my Laptop to AX86U LAN port and it's the same limit: 530 Mbits.
When I connect directly to the switch attached to my provider router I get 930 Mbits with 1 Gbit adapter and 1900 Gbits with 2.5 Gb adapter.
So provider is not the problem.

Does someone encounter same issues with 3.0.0.4.386_49599 firmware ?

Kind regards
This has been see before. Some have had an improvement when setting the USB to 2.0 operation.

When 160MHz is used you have DFS channels in use as well, but this setting on the picture below applies for the Control Channel only.

View attachment 43056

Your router picked Control Channel 44 (36-48 @80MHz) in non-DFS range and will attempt 160MHz (36-64 @160MHz) using DFS range.
Now I got it, thank you.

Maybe. The inclusion of DFS control channels permits the router to include the U-NII-2c band, which increases the 160MHz bw options from one (ch 36-64, half DFS) to two (ch 36-64, half DFS; and ch 100-128, all DFS). To include DFS control channels, all of your clients must support DFS channels... if one does not, then you should exclude DFS control channels and will only achieve 160MHz bw across ch 36-64, if permitted by DFS/the firmware. Study the 5.0 channel plan in my install notes to see this.

OE
I did not know that, but I got it now. Thanks a lot.

This has been see before. Some have had an improvement when setting the USB to 2.0 operation.
Thanks bbunge for your suggestion, I tried to set USB 2.0 operation but nothing changes, still limited to 530 Mbits.
I will try a factory reset this weekend

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!