What's new

Beta ASUS RT-AX86U/S Series Firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 (2022/08/09)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LimJK

Very Senior Member
Version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 Beta Version

2022/08/09 67.97 MBytes

ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.20477
Try more on ASUSWRT 2022 with new features at https://asus.click/ASUSWRT2022
1. Supported WireGuard VPN server and client.
2. Supported VPN fusion. It can easily achieve VPN connection to network devices like Smart TV, Game consoles and without installing the VPN client software.
3. Support HMA VPN in VPN fusion to securely and quickly access streaming sites from over 190+ countries
4. Supported new devices connection notification.
5. Supported connection diagnostic on the ASUS router app.
6. Supported Instant Guard 2.0 which helps easily invite family or friends to join the VPN connection.
7. Upgraded parental control and added reward, new scheduler for flexible setting

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AX86U/FW_RT_AX86U_AX86S_900438820477.zip

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 79c2e00456e8d3d4c858577fb07b3e1b

Last edited:
Version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 Beta Version

2022/08/09 67.97 MBytes

ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.20477
Try more on ASUSWRT 2022 with new features at https://asus.click/ASUSWRT2022
1. Supported WireGuard VPN server and client.
2. Supported VPN fusion. It can easily achieve VPN connection to network devices like Smart TV, Game consoles and without installing the VPN client software.
3. Support HMA VPN in VPN fusion to securely and quickly access streaming sites from over 190+ countries
4. Supported new devices connection notification.
5. Supported connection diagnostic on the ASUS router app.
6. Supported Instant Guard 2.0 which helps easily invite family or friends to join the VPN connection.
7. Upgraded parental control and added reward, new scheduler for flexible setting

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 79c2e00456e8d3d4c858577fb07b3e1b
And download link is?

right on the Asus web page for the AX86

sam

Dirty upgrade - so far so good. Plan to try Wireguard later today.

I was waiting when Asus would finally do new device notifications. My cheaper TP-Link Wifi 6 router had this feature out of the box via the Tether app. I was a bit disappointed a more advanced router such as the RT-AX86U didn't also have this out of the box. I won't put the firmware on the router while in beta though, but happy to see the feature included.

right on the Asus web page for the AX86

sam
I know bit it's very lazy not post download link and new forum member don't now how to find it.

Curious if anyone tries this beta who had issues with getting 160MHz to work correctly. It’s been broken for me for the last 2 released versions.
160 MHz still working well (was not broken on prior firmware versions).

So much for everything working well after dirty upgrade. Tried to get Wireguard to work with the client on the Android phone. Not. Next tried Instantguard and OpenVPN client. Neither of those worked. So, factory reset with initalize and tried Wireguard and Instantguard. Nope. Neither worked. May be the Asus DDNS is not reporting/updating right. Am going out for an appointment and will try again.

Everything else is working as before. Noted new "Merlin" features in WAN/Internet Connection: Enable DNS Rebind protection and Prevent client auto DoH.

Edit: looks like the VPV issues are related to Asus DDNS not working

Last edited:
If constructive criticism was your intention, it doesn't sound one, it's more like your telling him what to do and telling him lazy. sheesh!
If he makes an effort to post new updates to the software without publish the download link, that's laziness.
There are new members who don't know where to find the download.
These are the last comments.

Last edited:
If he makes an effort to post new updates to the software without puliucing the download link, that's laziness.
There are new members who don't know where to find the download.
These are the last comments.
That is your assumption, not all people think alike that's why respecting forum members is the better choice and I hope you do that next time.

This is to confirm my VPN failures were related to DDNS failure. Switched to no-ip.com and Instantguard works. Now to try Wireguard again.

Edit: Wireguard worked at least from my phone.

Last edited:
Thought I'd see a note for a more stable 160hz. Mine won't hang on more than 30 minutes since the July update.
I have no way to test 160Mhz to give feedback. None of my devices support it. Even the WiFi 6 compatible iPhone I have maxes out at 80Mhz. I think the two main benefits I've gotten from a WiFi 6 router this far is, the slightly faster speeds over AC, and the theoretical number of max clients. Even with the speeds though, I've been able to get the same speeds at times with an older AC Gen 1 card in an older MacBook Pro. So, not sure if I've really gained anything long term, based on my experiences so far.

Kinda wonder why this is 67MB and all other firmware is over 70MB.

Screenshot 2022-08-09 213941.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!