What's new

Beta ASUS RT-AX86U/S Series Firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 (2022/08/09)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kinda wonder why this is 67MB and all other firmware is over 70MB.

View attachment 43422
:) Now that you mentioned this, I decided to check the same Beta Firmware for RT-AX88U at Asus support site, noticed that the 388 firmware size got smaller too.

New series of firmware, plus it's a Beta.

Anyone knows where to get that Instant Guard 2.0?
The Instantguard 2.0 appears to refer to the router side and not the Android or iOS version.

nope...just got the router a couple of weeks ago. I'm not ready for beta testing anything yet. good luck to all you brave souls out there.

I have no way to test 160Mhz to give feedback. None of my devices support it. Even the WiFi 6 compatible iPhone I have maxes out at 80Mhz. I think the two main benefits I've gotten from a WiFi 6 router this far is, the slightly faster speeds over AC, and the theoretical number of max clients. Even with the speeds though, I've been able to get the same speeds at times with an older AC Gen 1 card in an older MacBook Pro. So, not sure if I've really gained anything long term, based on my experiences so far.
I have 4 AX clients and they max the heck out of 160hz more consistantly than while at 80, and at really good distance on this router...Ever since the firmware update in July with new drivers, 160 is pretty much impossible to maintain.

160 MHz still working well (was not broken on prior firmware versions).
Yes indeed it is.

It works fine and as expected on 46061, but does not work as expected on the two newer versions. By any definition it’s broken for me, on my router.

Yes indeed it is.

It works fine and as expected on 46061, but does not work as expected on the two newer versions. By any definition it’s broken for me, on my router.
If your comments are not about this beta version I would encourage you to put your comments elsewhere, please.

I do have USB stick plugged to USB port 1, but the GUI doesn't see it:

1660175656554.png

Something new for Pi-Hole users, from Asuswrt-Merlin:

1660175836485.png

And more Asuswrt-Merlin in WAN section:

1660175961903.png

And VPN Fusion on non-ROG router finally, thank you!

1660176209854.png

Nothing blew up, flashed on top of stock Asuswrt 49599 firmware.

I do have USB stick plugged to USB port 1, but the GUI doesn't see it:

View attachment 43436

Something new for Pi-Hole users, from Asuswrt-Merlin:

View attachment 43437

And more Asuswrt-Merlin in WAN section:

View attachment 43438

And VPN Fusion on non-ROG router finally, thank you!

View attachment 43439

Nothing blew up, flashed on top of stock Asuswrt 49599 firmware.
Just noticed that my USB2 thumb drive does not show up in status. Should note that I have the USB set to use USB2 and the thumb drive is a USB2.
Status.jpg

Note port 4 is in yellow which I take to be a warning

warning.jpg

In fact is is a connection to a 100MB port on a PoE switch for my cams. There is nothing wrong with having a 100MB Ethernet connection and the router should not warn you that something is wrong. I had this switch connected to LAN port 1 and the new firmware really did not like that!

I suspect these two graphical ports are only for when plugging a USB modem or tethered phone (that's why they are in the Ethernet section). Regular USB disks would only appear in the same USB location as before, on the left.

I suspect these two graphical ports are only for when plugging a USB modem or tethered phone (that's why they are in the Ethernet section). Regular USB disks would only appear in the same USB location as before, on the left.
Hmm. Will have to try that tomorrow.

It works fine and as expected on 46061

In case it wasn't working as expected and Broadcom fixed the drivers to obey DFS regulations better, your 160MHz issue is permanent. The situation with 160MHz wide channel on 5GHz is similar to 40MHz wide channel on 2.4GHz - it's an available option, but not guaranteed. Also, due to some geopolitical situations you may have more RF activity around your place. Whatever was working before may no longer work.

Test this beta and see if there are any Wi-Fi performance differences in your environment. This is the main purpose of this release - testing.

There seems to be a lot more activity in this AX86U thread - compared to the AX88U thread.

Anyone here have any success using HMA VPN as a VPN profile type?

How about using ovpn files in VPN Fusion with HMA as the provider?

One last thing: Any TorGuard users having any luck using the Wireguard support in this firmware?

Thanks...

I can confirm that the same happens to RT-AX88U

No wonder. The two routers are almost identical hardware and beta firmware release is the same version number.

Why AX88U folks are crashing our party? Where is the Security? :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!