What's new

Beta ASUS RT-AX86U/S Series Firmware version 9.0.0.4.388.20477 (2022/08/09)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Then why is the IPV6 firewall enabled by default and has no entries in the Inbound Firewall Rules? This may not have an answer and will have to wait for Asus final "release."

I recall there always being an 'enabled by default' setting for both firewalls... it has always been in my notes to confirm these enabled, which is how I discovered this beta feature.

OE

Then why is the IPV6 firewall enabled by default and has no entries in the Inbound Firewall Rules?
Because IPv6 isn't behind NAT, so without firewall, your entire LAN becomes reachable over IPv6. IPv4 doesn't have that issue since you have NAT.

I just wanted to ask, will older "AC" models like the AC86U or AC68U support Wireguard later on, or would I have to buy an AX86U? I would prefer not to upgrade as I don't really need the AX86U as of right now.

I also wanted to ask, what are the best Asus Routers in terms of OpenVPN performance? I know the AC86U and AX86U are two of the best, but are there other models that are similar in performance from either the "AC" or "AX" series?

I just wanted to ask, will older "AC" models like the AC86U or AC68U support Wireguard later on, or would I have to buy an AX86U? I would prefer not to upgrade as I don't really need the AX86U as of right now.

I also wanted to ask, what are the best Asus Routers in terms of OpenVPN performance? I know the AC86U and AX86U are two of the best, but are there other models that are similar in performance from either the "AC" or "AX" series?
AC86U maybe. AC68U no.

Performance? They all perform or work well. As for bandwidth, none will match the WAN default bandwidth.

Hi, I hope everyone is doing well. I’m new here (just registered) but I come to this forum to check out anything about the RT-AX86U. I’m sorry if this isn’t the write thread for this question, but I downloaded the beta and everything is fine.

I’m just wondering now that it has these VPN options does anyone here have knowledge on how to setup a VPN for an Xbox Series X connected via Ethernet? I feel like my IP is throttling my speeds and it’s making gaming bad. I just have no clue on how to do the VPN correctly. Anyone? (Again sorry if it’s wrong thread and for the long story. Thanks!

I have a drive connected to a router + 25 devices.
What should I turn on at 5Ghz and 2.4GHz for the fastest data transfer.

1662139459347.png

Hi, I hope everyone is doing well. I’m new here (just registered) but I come to this forum to check out anything about the RT-AX86U. I’m sorry if this isn’t the write thread for this question, but I downloaded the beta and everything is fine.

I’m just wondering now that it has these VPN options does anyone here have knowledge on how to setup a VPN for an Xbox Series X connected via Ethernet? I feel like my IP is throttling my speeds and it’s making gaming bad. I just have no clue on how to do the VPN correctly. Anyone? (Again sorry if it’s wrong thread and for the long story. Thanks!
What VPN provider and what protocol? Free or paid service?

Tried different wireguard configurations/profiles and noticed large fluctuations in terms of speed. Oddly enough, when I set a wireguard profile as default, my connection is in line with my isp’s max down and upload speed. When I assign it to a few selected devices only my other devices which use the default internet connection will only get approximately 75% of max speed. That’s a bummer. I don’t recall having this problem on my AC 86U.

Tried different wireguard configurations/profiles and noticed large fluctuations in terms of speed. Oddly enough, when I set a wireguard profile as default, my connection is in line with my isp’s max down and upload speed. When I assign it to a few selected devices only my other devices which use the default internet connection will only get approximately 75% of max speed. That’s a bummer. I don’t recall having this problem on my AC 86U.
Firmware is still in beta. Report your findings to Asus via feedback.

Pretty useless suggestion. Who said I didn’t- I posted it here to see if someone else was having the issue.
You said neither. At least I made a recommendation.

With my limited testing of VPN Fusion it is possible that Asus has built in bandwidth limiters so one VPN client does not hog all the bandwidth. Will be glad to be proven wrong.
BTY, a VPN client is better on a PC or device other than a router.

I should have mentioned it. As far as the limitation goes: You can only have two concurrent vpns running at the same time, so I believe the router should be capable of managing one connection. We are talking of 500 Mbit/s in my case. It seems to be able to manage it when it is set to default for ALL devices, why should it slow down when it is set is set for only a selected number of devices.

BTW: This firmware is focused on the vpnfusion feature so it should be clear that people will test it’s potential even though they are being lectured about how it is better to run VPN on a computer. Maybe they are going to run their computer 24/7? Maybe there is no specific client for the devices? Maybe that’s up to them what features to use?

AC86U maybe. AC68U no.

Performance? They all perform or work well. As for bandwidth, none will match the WAN default bandwidth.
I am pretty happy with my AC86U, but would definitely like it if it got Wireguard support at some point. If it doesn't get Wireguard support and I wanted that in the future, I was asking which of the "AX" routers has good OpenVPN performance (sometimes I might want to use OpenVPN).

I know with the "AC" series I think it's pretty much the AC86U that has the best OpenVPN performance. I think I read people saying you can get 200Mbps+, whereas a lot of the other models totally suck (for example with my old AC68U, I could only get around 30Mbps). So if I wanted OpenVPN performance on a newer "AX" series router, are you saying they're all similar to the AX86U? That doesn't sound right.

No. That is just not true.

So pretty much all AX series routers have good OpenVPN speeds?

No, only the ones with ARMv8 + AES CPU, like the one used in AC86U.

RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U/S/Pro, RT-AX88U, GT-AX6000, GT-AX11000/Pro, GT-AXE11000, GT-AXE16000, the newer ZenWiFi Pro.

Look in specifications for 1.8GHz or 2.0GHz dual/quad-core CPU as a good indication for ARMv8 platform in current models.

Last edited:
No, only the ones with ARMv8 + AES CPU, like the one used in AC86U.

RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U/S/Pro, RT-AX88U, GT-AX6000, GT-AX11000/Pro, GT-AXE11000, GT-AXE16000, the newer ZenWiFi Pro.

Look in specifications for 1.8GHz or 2.0GHz dual/quad-core CPU as a good indication for ARMv8 platform in current models.
Alright, thank you. That helps clear it up a lot more. Will keep watch for any good specials on all of those routers. I will try and do some reading and find with ones have those specs (ARMv8 + AES). Is there actually any websites that list specs, or am I just going to have to read reviews and/or look at each router's specs?

Also, is the RT-AX86U Pro new? I don't recall seeing that before? If so, why have the released another version? What has changed?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!