What's new

[Asus RT-AX88U] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

so altogether you want to say that the AX88U... Over a year after its debut is still not production ready?

The RT-AX88U that has been in use as my primary router for over a year now begs to differ.

Last edited:
I'm missing OFDMA and WPA3 functionality from my AX88U. I'm on 384.14 version. I checked under Professional Tab via Wireless and its not there on 5G. Also, look for WPA3 couldn't find it anywhere. Didn't 384.14 suppose to have these functionalities included?

Didn't 384.14 suppose to have these functionalities included?

No, these came with GPL 384_7756, which was merged in the 384.15 development code.

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my router to the AX88U. I'm having a bit of trouble getting good wireless performance, however. I am really not that experienced with optimizing router settings and I was wondering if there is a general guide I could follow for this particular router?

Currently, I have Merlin 384.14 installed. With my previous router, a Netgear Nighthawk R7000, I could reach wireless speeds in my room (1 floor up from the router) up to 400~450mbps. With the AX88U, I'm topping of at about 270mbps, usually less. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

I am tired with ax88u, and I am going to return it. Ax88u has so many wifi issues. I am thinking about to get gt 5300, any one has recommendations

I apologize for spamming in multiple threads but can't find the best place to report the problem with WPA3 using the AX88U.
Hence I have two questions. Did anyone manage to connect to their AX88U using:
1) WPA3 eg with Asus AX58BT (Intel AX200) Client?
2) WPA2 with "Required" Protected Management Frames (PMF) using Asus AX58BT (Intel AX200) Client?

An in details post is here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-15_alpha-builds-testing-all-variants.60731/page-14#post-542537

BR,
Mikołaj

If running windows, roll back to the previous 21.50 driver as 21.60 caused way too many issues of poor speed and random disconnects on 160mhz networks.

I've only been running the ax88u for a day and I don't want to configure the hell out of it from the get go, to check what's the stability and uptime like. My initial thoughts coming from a potentially broken ac87u are:
  • Damn this router is fast, I mean SSH interface alone is reactive as if I was on my local shell
  • Restart times and times to setup wifi are much faster
  • Speeds are as fast as they were as I can't go faster than 250 Mbits/s (I get that with no changes at all over 5Ghz 2 floors away)
  • I've disabled wifi-6 because I have no clients so I think that's a waste
  • I didn't enable 160Mhz, I actually didn't change/fix the bandwidth because I'm getting max speeds, felt no need.
  • Installed a few scripts like via amtm but nothing much, want to try diversion and the blocking scrips but want to do it when I feel the router is working fine

Let me see what I say in a week's time :), so far so good :D

I've only been running the ax88u for a day and I don't want to configure the hell out of it from the get go, to check what's the stability and uptime like. My initial thoughts coming from a potentially broken ac87u are:
  • Damn this router is fast, I mean SSH interface alone is reactive as if I was on my local shell
  • Restart times and times to setup wifi are much faster
  • Speeds are as fast as they were as I can't go faster than 250 Mbits/s (I get that with no changes at all over 5Ghz 2 floors away)
  • I've disabled wifi-6 because I have no clients so I think that's a waste
  • I didn't enable 160Mhz, I actually didn't change/fix the bandwidth because I'm getting max speeds, felt no need.
  • Installed a few scripts like via amtm but nothing much, want to try diversion and the blocking scrips but want to do it when I feel the router is working fine

Let me see what I say in a week's time :), so far so good :D
I used ax88u for three weeks, some devices would disconnected or the speed is very slow like 1mbs. So I return it and get the gt 5300

What is the max bandwidth speed that ax88u can handle without too much of reduction in speed while using OpenVPN?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!