What's new

[Asus RT-AX88U] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have rt-ax88u as well, and I turn on ai protection for test and my router cpu only reach 48% and here is my speed test result

Try with latest alpha version firmware and see if you get different result.
Really? You think i have a bad unit or something?

Are there any settings you changed from default?

Really? You think i have a bad unit or something?

Are there any settings you changed from default?

Only setting I have change, is to select wifi channels manually for 2.4 and 5 GHZ band. Though I am using 384.9_alpha1-g96b57d331 firmware version for router.
Although, you want to keep merlin, but it may be helpful to troubleshoot with original asus firmware as well.

I would suggest factory reset as well and reconfigure bare minimum setup, turn on ai protection and see if it helps.

I have rt-ax88u as well, and I turn on ai protection for test and my router cpu only reach 48% and here is my speed test result

Try with latest alpha version firmware and see if you get different result.
Yeah, the alpha version from Sunday yields similar results that you have. About 50% single core CPU utilization during speed test.

What kind of speed you getting with current firmware?
I'm getting very close to full gigabit speeds with QoS turned on. With QoS off, I definitely max out my bandwidth (830 down and about 900 up).

But WiFi speeds are terrible. The 5Ghz band is disabled in the alpha build.

I'm getting very close to full gigabit speeds with QoS turned on. With QoS off, I definitely max out my bandwidth (830 down and about 900 up).

But WiFi speeds are terrible. The 5Ghz band is disabled in the alpha build.
Interesting, I have the same version and 5 GHZ work fine, however last night I did notice that my router was broadcasting 5 ghz but no client would connect to it. This morning I just restart router and so far all is fine.

I have got this router for 2 months now and I always have problems with the Asus Firmware. I am having trouble using the upper channels on 5Ghz. I cannot set channel manually above 60 because wifi disappear. I think the stock FW was the best but WAN connection problem.

I cannot set channel manually above 60 because wifi disappear.

Could be your clients who will not support these channels, or your area has a radar that prevents the use of DFS channels.

I have got this router for 2 months now and I always have problems with the Asus Firmware. I am having trouble using the upper channels on 5Ghz. I cannot set channel manually above 60 because wifi disappear. I think the stock FW was the best but WAN connection problem.
ch 64 should work fine too
did you wait >10 min. for upper channels to be powered on, this time it needs to be checked for radar transmissions.
Some devices doesnt support all channels, try with other clients too!

64 is a DFS channel, which isn't always well supported by all clients.
I answered to his statement that ch. upto 60 is working with his client and ch. 64 is in the same band 52-64 and would be used with 40 or 80MHz bandwith too.
All our EU devices got no problem with 36-144, only 149-165 wont work on most of them.

And he is from Hungary, so there is no radar using this band in his region, only 120-128 are used there: https://www.researchgate.net/public...er_radars_by_channel_allocation_in_5_GHz_band

I think he bought an internat. version (chinese or not EU) router which defaults to ch. 149+ like AC86U is doing, and EU-clients wont work with ch. 149-165!!!

All my clients support channels up to 140 and worked for a short period when I received my router. When I upgraded the firmware than everything has changed. I am not sure, probably the firmware. I have got this message:
DFS status: state In-Service Monitoring(ISM) time elapsed 59121150ms radar channel cleared by DFS channel 52/80 (0xE03A)
when I check neightbour's wifi with wifi analyzer I can see other routers broadcasting on channel 100.
The router and clients are EU versions.

hello guys, a new firmware has been published, version 5640. In the description it says that it improves wifi stability, but I'll continue with disconnections with the 5ghz band.

hello guys, a new firmware has been published, version 5640. In the description it says that it improves wifi stability, but I'll continue with disconnections with the 5ghz band.
I am facing disconnecting issue with AiMesh enabled with another AX88U. No issue when using single one.

How about you? Do you use AiMesh? Or just single AX88U?

I am facing disconnecting issue with AiMesh enabled with another AX88U. No issue when using single one.

How about you? Do you use AiMesh? Or just single AX88U?

I have it as a router without more, the Aimesh I think it is disabled since I do not use automatic ip for my network.

I am just wondering if anyone have got the promotion game with this router? I have sent all details and invoice to Asus but they don't reply. I think they just wanted to know all my data. Can I do anything to solve it?

firmware 5640
When I set the following channels on 5Ghz the wifi disappear: 64, 104, 108, 116, 120, 124, 128
Wifi disconnects randomly and I can't connect again without restarting the router.
Also WAN speed detection problem is an issue again.
Download Master Utillity crashes on windows.

Last edited:
firmware 5640
When I set the following channels on 5Ghz the wifi disappear: 64, 104, 108, 116, 120, 124, 128

Not all clients support DFS channels.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!