What's new

[Asus RT-AX88U] Experiences & Discussion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No need for a certificate. If you made the change in your router to support WPA2/WPA3 security, then your phone will do just fine if it supports WPA2 (but not WPA3). However, I would advise that after you make such change in your router, you should then "forget" (or remove) your usual WIFI network from your phone first and then manually add it again. This will help your phone to pick up the updated WiFI security settings (from your router) and will prevent future disconnects. You may have to do this for other devices (that use WPA2) as well.

Internet was down so could't post but there issue with ai protection now.
This is what happens if you select wpa3 or wpa2/wpa3
upload_2019-11-30_23-31-57.png

Internet was down so could't post but there issue with ai protection now.
This is what happens if you select wpa3 or wpa2/wpa3
View attachment 20063

Yes I have that too. Somehow Asus considers WPA2/WPA3 setting as “weak”. I have a 64 mixed character (letters and numbers) password for both bands but again Asus considers it weak and does not have any recommendations on what it considers strong. For the time being I have ignored those warnings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you allow WPA2 too beside WPA3 they probably will call it weak ...
Just ignore it and maybe they fix someday.

Last edited:
I’ve exchanged my ROG Rapture AX11000 to the AX88U due to client dropouts and instable performance of the second 5 GHz band. Installed the AX88U yesterday, on the latest FW and everything seems to work fine except for one client and that is a PC with the Asus AX58BT network card that just doesn’t want to play properly in the 5 GHz band.

The internet speed is horrible dropping to 8-10 Mbit/s (I have 250/250) and lags extremely on the 5GHz band. The card connects to the router in a speed of 2,4 Gbit/s so I dont understand what could be wrong with it.

That is the only client doing so, I have 2 note 10 and one S10 that works like a charm showing the Wifi6 symbol and works perfectly, the other AC clients that I have also works flawlessly.

I have the router on 20/40/80/160, 160 MHz enabled, AX mode enabled, 2 separate SSID;s (2,4 ghz and 5,0 Ghz) and control channel 40 (otherwise the PCE68U wont connect to the 5 GHz band) and the rest of the settings to default.

Anyone having any idea on why the PC with the AX card isn’t p”playing” with the 5 GHz band on the router?

Edit;

The problem is solved, it was the driver for the pce ax 58bt, downloaded the previous driver and its now rock solid.

Last edited:
Guys I am back to 3.0.0.4.384.6436 firmware on both my RT-AX88Us because 3.0.0.4.384.7756 which got posted recently was downright disgusting. All Wifi clients slowed down to a crawl with 10-12 Mbps speeds while LAN connections roared with 100 Mbps (My connection speed). I tried using WPA2, disabled AI Mesh, did NVRAM reset from telnet. Nothing worked. The whole wireless network used to become sluggish within 6-7 hrs after router reboot. Initially I thought it was my ISP's problem but 3.0.0.4.384.7756 is at fault here. Maybe ASUS doesn't have time to test their firmwares in their quest to get Wifi6 certification.
-One disappointed customer.

PS: Anyone having Wifi issues just roll back to earlier firmware 6436 and perform full factory reset and set it up again.

Guys I am back to 3.0.0.4.384.6436 firmware on both my RT-AX88Us because 3.0.0.4.384.7756 which got posted recently was downright disgusting.
Are your problems on both bands? Are you using an AX devices?

Guys I am back to 3.0.0.4.384.6436 firmware on both my RT-AX88Us because 3.0.0.4.384.7756 which got posted recently was downright disgusting.

That must be very frustrating.

FWIW, and I have a fairly simple straightforward setup, my Samsung Note 8 (AC) at this moment is seeing 500-700 Mbps, while the Dell laptops with Intel-Killer 1650 AX cards are seeing 600-850 Mbps wirelessly on a gigabit ISP connection. Wired connections are 940+ Mbps. No disconnects using the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.384.7756 from ASUS, with two RT AX88U routers, one set as main, other is AP. Some 50 other connected devices all seem to be working just fine, although lights, switches, thermostats, cameras, Amazon Echo and Fire TV's, TIVO, etc. cannot measure speed.

Are your problems on both bands? Are you using an AX devices?
Just 1 AX device Intel AX200. But all wireless devices are slowing down and when this happens, router home page is inaccessible. I have all devices only on 5Ghz band.

Is your router by any chance setup with WPA3 Enterprise. If so that would make sense. Check if it is set to WPA3 Personal.
Latest FW working well at 160!

I just tried swapping in the AX for the AC 88u. I experienced quite a few compatibility bugs with legacy AC clients. To wit:
-- my one AX client on a dell xps ran great.
-- with the older version of the asus firmware, and Merlin's latest beta version, I got decent speed on AC clients, but it would not broadcast on the 2.4 band. Some clients could "See" it, but others could not.
-- With the latest version of the asus firmware, everything could see the 2.4 band, but speed for legacy AC clients was cut to 1/3. I also noticed that several legacy AC clients could no longer see the 5 ghz band (e.g my new TCL series 6 smart TV)

I gave up and shipped it back. I'll give it another run in six months when the firmware has solidified. It does explain to me, however, why asus is also selling a paired mesh set up with wifi 6 being used mostly for the backhaul, while keeping the AC 5ghz band as well. I think that would get rid of the compatibility issues I witnessed.

This morning's Speedtest Result from Dell 7590 laptop with Intel Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (200NGW), driver version 21.50.1.1 connected wirelessly to Asus RT AX88u access point, Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_7756, revision 1.1 on Gigabit cable connection.

Internet Speed Test   Fast com.jpg

This morning's Speedtest Result from Dell 7590 laptop with Intel Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (200NGW), driver version 21.50.1.1 connected wirelessly to Asus RT AX88u access point, Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_7756, revision 1.1 on Gigabit cable connection.

View attachment 20156

A lot of the Comsumer grade routers cant do router Wan to lan /Wlan through put very well to get true 1gb wifi

A lot of the Comsumer grade routers cant do router Wan to lan /Wlan through put very well to get true 1gb wifi

Err, have you not seen the posts in this thread :p The 1Gbps ceiling has been broken for almost a year now.

So my AX200 wifi card for my finally laptop came today (only took three months :rolleyes:). Did a few quick benchmarks and was able to push throughput to my NAS to around 1.4 - 1.5Gbps for a 36% increase over my previous tests with a 160MHz AC client. These results fit in pretty accurately with the link speed increase (38%).

Luy7yPH.png

Err, have you not seen the posts in this thread :p The 1Gbps ceiling has been broken for almost a year now.

Typical Usless asus dont want to fix it just useless they are will this ever get fix !!! this is just how weak asus are useless

Last edited:
Typical Usless asus dont want to fix it just useless they are will this ever get fix !!! this is just how weak asus are useless

umm what?

Hi folks,

Just moved my network from AC to AX.

Ac : Router Netgear 7500 v1 + 1 pc has P79-Deluxe on board wifi AC + PC2 has USB Asus AC-68 key.

AX: Router RT-AX88U + P79-Deluxe with Gigabyte AX extension card + Asus X299-E Gaming II with onboard AX-Wifi. Both have Intel Wifi.

I made a test with my PC being in the same room as the Router: roughly 140 MB/s. I'm satisfied. My wife's computer get a big bump from 30 MB/s to 90 MB/s. Not only faster, but also more efficient with higher distance to the router.

My next NAS will have at least 2x1 gb/s connectors.

it's almost a year and it's broken for all routers and asustek are not going to fix it asustek are useless

Sorry to read you are having issues with your router; perhaps Asus is selling a different firmware here in North America, but at least for this user, the Asus RT AX88U is a stellar performer, wired and wireless, with many diverse clients.

True, it's expensive to buy (was $245 US on Black Friday), the ASUS RT AC86U delivers excellent performance for much less, but the 88AX work well here.

Hope you get it fixed. Good luck to you.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!