What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525 (16-02-2023)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm beginning to think that its a bug in the S23U and I've read in the Samsung forums their March firmware update introduced it so hopefully they will fix it soon and I can stop watching the connection speeds on the router.

Do you have the Switch to better Wi-Fi network setting on? My S23U was having weird Wi-Fi issues, like no internet, slow speeds, etc until I turned that setting off

I'm beginning to think that its a bug in the S23U

Try disabling MU-MIMO and test again. It may improve the speed to single client for speedtest purposes. In general though it doesn't matter for a phone and I don't think you have to replace your router. AX88U is still a very capable device.

Well guys I put my phone on another wifi network this morning and it pulled almost 900 Mbps over that one and I tried it again on my own and got 474 Mbps which is right so something fishy is going on here.

Well guys I put my phone on another wifi network this morning and it pulled almost 900 Mbps over that one and I tried it again on my own and got 474 Mbps which ismy 88u right so something fishy is going on here.
Here's my observation on my ax88u, I can achieve 700-859Mbps when the connection is @160MHz but gets down to 400-600Mbps when the wireless is running @80MHz from my iPhone12. Before running a speed test check the status of your connection, are you running @80MHz or 160MHz? At prsent Asus firmware at least on my ax88u or ax6000 does not retain 160 MHz connection that long, it always switch to 80MHz and stays there forever.

At prsent Asus firmware at least on my ax88u or ax6000 does not retain 160 MHz connection that long, it always switch to 80MHz and stays there forever.
I too am experiencing similar issues on my RT-AX88U when enabling 160Ghz. It lasts for a little while, then I start losing WiFi 5Ghz connections. 2.4Ghz seems to work fine.

I wonder (just a thought) if the "Group Key Rotation Interval" setting has anything to do with the time before things go wacky. The default value is 3600 seconds which is 1 hour - about the time I have noticed that my "Channel bandwidth" seems to downgrade to 80Mhz. But as I recall, this process can take up to 10 minutes. Perhaps it is during this time that my 5Ghz connections go wacky.

The "Group Key Rotation Interval" setting can be set to a maximum value of 25920000 seconds (300 days) or 0 to turn rotation off. I've not tried changing this value and testing.

@bluepoint, would there be any reason to believe the "Group Key Rotation Interval" affects the time AX88U's hunt for a new "Channel bandwidth" values?

I too am experiencing similar issues on my RT-AX88U when enabling 160Ghz. It lasts for a little while, then I start losing WiFi 5Ghz connections. 2.4Ghz seems to work fine.

I wonder (just a thought) if the "Group Key Rotation Interval" setting has anything to do with the time before things go wacky. The default value is 3600 seconds which is 1 hour - about the time I have noticed that my "Channel bandwidth" seems to downgrade to 80Mhz. But as I recall, this process can take up to 10 minutes. Perhaps it is during this time that my 5Ghz connections go wacky.

The "Group Key Rotation Interval" setting can be set to a maximum value of 25920000 seconds (300 days) or 0 to turn rotation off. I've not tried changing this value and testing.

@bluepoint, would there be any reason to believe the "Group Key Rotation Interval" affects the time AX88U's hunt for a new "Channel bandwidth" values?
Group key rotation interval could be contributing, I don't know, what I know is that if you set the 5 GHz to find auto channel with DFS @160MHz, it constantly scans channel at least with this GPL therefore connections are in and out(unstable).. Unfortunately asus han't have a working 160 MHz frequency wide using the DFS channels. Suggested working wireless settings is to use static channel.

connections are in and out(unstable)

FWIW, I started running some tests. So far, results are good but too early in the game to declare success. All tests were performed with my PC in approximately the same location. I will update with more observations in a few days.

03-14-2023-001 - Set router WiFi channel to 20/40/80/160. Control Channel = auto (RT chose 149). Change "Group Key Rotation Interval" from 3600 to 0. Reboot PC - PC WiFi showing 287/287 (Mbps). Didn't check RT Wireless Log.

03-14-2023-002 - PC WiFi showing 287/287 (Mbps). Wait 10 minutes (no 5Ghz connection loss). PC WiFi showing 287/287 (Mbps). Didn't check RT Wireless Log.

03-14-2023-003 - Reboot Router. Control Channel = auto (RT chose 36). PC WiFi showing 2402/1838 (Mbps). RT Wireless Log showing RSSI=-49dBm; Tx=2260.5M; Rx=1921.5M.

03-14-2023-004 - Wait 10 minutes (no 5Ghz connection loss). PC WiFi showing 2402/1838 (Mbps).

03-14-2023-005 - Change Control Channel from "auto" to "40". Reboot Route - PC WiFi showing 2402/2162 (Mbps). RT Wireless Log showing RSSI=-48dBm; Tx=2161.8M; Rx=1921.5M.

03-14-2023-006 - Wait 10 minutes (no 5Ghz connection loss). PC WiFi showing 2402/2162 (Mbps). RT Wireless Log showing RSSI=-51dBm; Tx=2401.9M Rx=2041.7M

03-14-2023-006 - Observed 5Ghz WiFi connectivity for 3+ hr. - no connection loss. PC WiFi showing 2402/1922 (Mbps). RT Wireless Log showing RSSI=-51dBm; Tx=2401.9M Rx=1921.5M

FWIW, I started running some tests. So far, results are good but too early in the game to declare success. All tests were performed with my PC in approximately the same location. I will update with more observations in a few days.

03-14-2023-001 - Set router WiFi channel to 20/40/80/160. Control Channel = auto (RT chose 149). Change "Group Key Rotation Interval" from 3600 to 0. Reboot PC - PC WiFi showing 287/287 (Mbps). Didn't check RT Wireless Log.

03-14-2023-002 - PC WiFi showing 287/287 (Mbps). Wait 10 minutes (no 5Ghz connection loss). PC WiFi showing 287/287 (Mbps). Didn't check RT Wireless Log.

03-14-2023-003 - Reboot Router. Control Channel = auto (RT chose 36). PC WiFi showing 2402/1838 (Mbps). RT Wireless Log showing RSSI=-49dBm; Tx=2260.5M; Rx=1921.5M.

03-14-2023-004 - Wait 10 minutes (no 5Ghz connection loss). PC WiFi showing 2402/1838 (Mbps).

03-14-2023-005 - Change Control Channel from "auto" to "40". Reboot Route - PC WiFi showing 2402/2162 (Mbps). RT Wireless Log showing RSSI=-48dBm; Tx=2161.8M; Rx=1921.5M.

03-14-2023-006 - Wait 10 minutes (no 5Ghz connection loss). PC WiFi showing 2402/2162 (Mbps). RT Wireless Log showing RSSI=-51dBm; Tx=2401.9M Rx=2041.7M

03-14-2023-006 - Observed 5Ghz WiFi connectivity for 3+ hr. - no connection loss. PC WiFi showing 2402/1922 (Mbps). RT Wireless Log showing RSSI=-51dBm; Tx=2401.9M Rx=1921.5M
Still good today? I assume youre using DFS channels?

till good today? I assume youre using DFS channels?

Yea, still good. Absolutely no drops. But I think it is still too early to call this config a success...

Screenshot 2023-03-15 104634b.png

Screenshot 2023-03-15 105553c.png

Last edited:
What happen when you change the interval back to 360?
Yea. Planning to do that but want a few more days of flawless performance before changing it to 600 seconds (10 minutes) to see if stability goes wacky.

Yea. Planning to do that but want a few more days of flawless performance before changing it to 600 seconds (10 minutes) to see if stability goes wacky.
That's okay see how long that will last before trying the interval. I'm surprise your link rate @2400Mbps represents a 160MHz wide connection. What is the speedtest result at that rate?

What is the speedtest result at that rate?
Is this the speed test you asking about?
Screenshot 2023-03-15 174100.png

Test was performed on my PC laptop connected on 5Ghz WiFi.

Edit: Streaming now to my TV. Tx/Rx now showing in System Log - Wireless Log 1921.5M/1814.8M.

Edit2: My laptop is currently about15 feet from the router with 2 interior walls in the path.

Edit3 &4: Downloaded a LAN speed test called "OpenSpeedTest-Server" from the Microsoft Store. This 1st test shows internal Win11 PC speeds. In other words, it shows the speed within the PC - not through the LAN. See results below:
Screenshot 2023-03-15 182659.png

Last edited:
Is this the speed test you asking about?
View attachment 48573

Test was performed on my PC laptop connected on 5Ghz WiFi.

Edit: Streaming now to my TV. Tx/Rx now showing in System Log - Wireless Log 1921.5M/1814.8M.

Edit2: My laptop is currently about15 feet from the router with 2 interior walls in the path.

Edit3: Downloaded a LAN speed test called "OpenSpeedTest-Server" from the Microsoft Store. See results below:
View attachment 48576
Your router WAN speed of 295.42 seems slow for the link speed of 2400Mbps you're getting. What is your ISP;s advertised service you're subscribed to? Looks like you have 300/10 Mbps service? If that's the case, setting up your channel bandwidth @160MHz is overkill for your service, 80MHz will be just fine. You are using too much channels that you don't need.

Last edited:
Your router WAN speed of 295.42 seems slow for the link speed of 2400Mbps you're getting. What is your ISP;s advertised service you're subscribed to? Looks like you have 300/10 Mbps service? If that's the case, setting up your channel bandwidth @160MHz is overkill for your service, 80MHz will be just fine. You are using too much channels that you don't need.
That would be true for internet access only. But I have a NAS and do lots of file accessing LAN to NAS (cloud sync). And (correct me if I am wrong), that is where the higher WiFi speeds will be an advantage for my use case.

This morning, I tried running the LAN speed test again. This time I ran the test across the LAN:
  • Initiated from a different Windows 11 PC that was ethernet connected to my router
  • To my Windows 11 PC notebook on 5Ghz WiFi.
This test should provide a true speed test through my router. The slowest link in the PC LAN to PC LAN connection would be my PC WiFi. Here is the screen shot of results.

Screenshot 2023-03-16 063400.png

This makes sense. It is a little slower than I expected, but that is because I needed to re-position my Win11 PC. The Tx/Rx values during the test are 1921.5M 1441.2M respectively. I know these OpenSpeedTest values will increase to about 1200M when I am right on top of my router.

Last edited:
@bluepoint Here is my latest System Log - Wireless Log screen shot. So far, no drop outs.

Screenshot 2023-03-16 082745b.png

This device still has 21:40:30 more time before the DHCP lease expires. I do have this device registered as a static IP and MAC address filtered. So, the expiring lease time should not make a difference for WiFi stability. Nonetheless, I will wait to see if there is any WiFi stability change on the other side of the expiration time. I should know by this time tomorrow.

Edit1: (a working theory) - It may be that when ANY router function with an expiration time expires, the router will start an optimization algorithm. The algorithm may attempt to optimize some router functions set to "auto".

Under these conditions, and depending on the "sensitivity" of the optimization algorithm, it is possible that during the optimization cycle, WiFi connectivity may be disrupted. If this is the case, then changing some/many functions to a "hard" value (not "auto") will have a positive influence on the optimization algorithm's performance.

Last edited:
That would be true for internet access only. But I have a NAS and do lots of file accessing LAN to NAS (cloud sync). And (correct me if I am wrong), that is where the higher WiFi speeds will be an advantage for my use case.

This morning, I tried running the LAN speed test again. This time I ran the test across the LAN:
  • Initiated from a different Windows 11 PC that was ethernet connected to my router
  • To my Windows 11 PC notebook on 5Ghz WiFi.
This test should provide a true speed test through my router. The slowest link in the PC LAN to PC LAN connection would be my PC WiFi. Here is the screen shot of results.

View attachment 48601

This makes sense. It is a little slower than I expected, but that is because I needed to re-position my Win11 PC. The Tx/Rx values during the test are 1921.5M 1441.2M respectively. I know these OpenSpeedTest values will increase to about 1200M when I am right on top of my router.
Well then by all means if you use wireless to tx/rx within your LAN, the higher link speed will serve you better. However, to benefit from higher speed your ethernet must be rated higher than 1G otherwise this LAN speed will be your max.

@bluepoint Here is my latest System Log - Wireless Log screen shot. So far, no drop outs.

View attachment 48605

This device still has 21:40:30 more time before the DHCP lease expires. I do have this device registered as a static IP and MAC address filtered. So, the expiring lease time should not make a difference for WiFi stability. Nonetheless, I will wait to see if there is any WiFi stability change on the other side of the expiration time. I should know by this time tomorrow.

Edit1: (a working theory) - It may be that when ANY router function with an expiration time expires, the router will start an optimization algorithm. The algorithm may attempt to optimize some router functions set to "auto".

Under these conditions, and depending on the "sensitivity" of the optimization algorithm, it is possible that during the optimization cycle, WiFi connectivity may be disrupted. If this is the case, then changing some/many functions to a "hard" value (not "auto") will have a positive influence on the optimization algorithm's performance.
Also, setting the channel fix contrubuted to the stability of the conneection. That's why If you can try to set the interval to its default we'll find out if it's a factor. It's my experience by setting a static ip stabilizes the wireless even if the interval is at 3600 secs.

However, to benefit from higher speed your ethernet must be rated higher than 1G otherwise this LAN speed will be your max.
Very true. And right now, my NAS on-board NIC card (Synology DS-220+) is limited to 1G. Still, that is fine for my home use.

It's my experience by setting a static ip stabilizes the wireless even if the interval is at 3600 secs.
I suspect you are right. My guess is that setting a fixed value for the channel has a significant stabilizing influence.

So far, none of my time fields have expired. It looks like the DHCP lease time is next in about 21 hours. Let's see what happens.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!