What's new

Asus RT-AX88U router and VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dougj

Occasional Visitor
I have purchase an ASUS RT-AX88U router (with firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_20558) with the intent of setting it up to use VPN.
I have a subscription with NordVPN to provide the VPN service. When I log onto my NordVPN account it gives me a username and password for manual setup.

Although some of my router GUI windows appear different than as shown in the following article, I have set up and enabled the VPN Server:

I then downloaded the OpenVPN config file to my desktop.

My question is at step 5 do I create a new username and password or am I supposed to use the NordVPN username and password previously mentioned, or do I use some other existing username and password?

Once this step was completed, I moved to this second article for the client setup:

It should be noted that with the firmware I have the middle tab says VPN Fusion rather than VPN Client (see step 2).
I created a new profile and selected, as per step 4, the OpenVPN VPN type where I input my NordVPN username and password (is this correct?) and imported the OpenVPN config file from the server setup discussed above. Finally, I connected it to several of my home's devices.

However, when I try to enable the connection it states, "authentication failed". Any direction would be appreciated.

See images attached.

Thanks
Doug

Attachments

• Asus VPN Client Setup1.png
    Asus VPN Client Setup1.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Asus VPN Client Setup2.png
    Asus VPN Client Setup2.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Asus VPN Server Setup1.png
    Asus VPN Server Setup1.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Asus VPN Server Setup2.png
    Asus VPN Server Setup2.png
    137 KB · Views: 130
  • Asus VPN Server Setup3.png
    Asus VPN Server Setup3.png
    91 KB · Views: 167
It appears I was on the wrong path as the instructions I was fed were not for what I was trying to accomplish. I found the correct install procedure on the NordVPN site. Please disregard this thread.

I have purchase an ASUS RT-AX88U router (with firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_20558) with the intent of setting it up to use VPN.
I have a subscription with NordVPN to provide the VPN service. When I log onto my NordVPN account it gives me a username and password for manual setup.

Although some of my router GUI windows appear different than as shown in the following article, I have set up and enabled the VPN Server:

I then downloaded the OpenVPN config file to my desktop.

My question is at step 5 do I create a new username and password or am I supposed to use the NordVPN username and password previously mentioned, or do I use some other existing username and password?

Once this step was completed, I moved to this second article for the client setup:

It should be noted that with the firmware I have the middle tab says VPN Fusion rather than VPN Client (see step 2).
I created a new profile and selected, as per step 4, the OpenVPN VPN type where I input my NordVPN username and password (is this correct?) and imported the OpenVPN config file from the server setup discussed above. Finally, I connected it to several of my home's devices.

However, when I try to enable the connection it states, "authentication failed". Any direction would be appreciated.

See images attached.

Thanks
Doug
Hi @Dougj

i would suggest that you switch to the ASUSwrt-Merlin Firmware (currently version 388.1 for your router)
The VPN director and the whole VPN section of the browser interface is much better and comfortable compared to the ASUS Firmware.

Regards

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!