What's new

Asus RT-AX88U Wifi devices disconncting and cannot reconect - "Disassociated because sending station is leaving"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scamper82

Occasional Visitor
I am running the Asus RT-AX88U on MERLIN vs 386.5
I was previously having the same issues on old fw.

Issue
Randomly devices on the network will disconnect from the router and i cannot get them to reconnect, i have tried waiting and unplugging the devices (mainly IOT devices on 2.4gh network), i have a keep alive mode set on the IOT zigbee devices to try keep them alive as long as possible and this improved the situation but didnt solve it, this issue happens roughly every 2/3 days and the devices that diconect are not allways the same devices and they are used multiple times a day.
I have worked out that to reset the issue i can toggle wifi on/off or reset router, when router/wifi comes back online then issue is resolved

Looking at logs in the router i can see info such as
Code:
Mar 24 15:34:08 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): eth6: Disassoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 24 15:34:08 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): eth6: Disassoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 24 15:34:10 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): eth6: Auth C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: Successful (0)
Mar 24 15:34:10 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): eth6: Assoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: Successful (0)
Mar 24 15:34:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): eth6: Disassoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 24 15:34:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): eth6: Disassoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 24 15:34:24 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): eth6: Auth C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: Successful (0)
Mar 24 15:34:24 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): eth6: Assoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: Successful (0)
Mar 24 15:34:33 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): eth6: Disassoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 24 15:34:33 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): eth6: Disassoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 24 15:34:37 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): eth6: Auth C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: Successful (0)
Mar 24 15:34:37 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(534): eth6: Assoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: Successful (0)
Mar 24 15:34:45 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): eth6: Disassoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 24 15:34:45 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(486): eth6: Disassoc C4:DD:57:2B:B3:6A, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)

So i have a few questions
1. has anyone ever seen this issue
2. does anyone have any advise to fix it (i understand from FAQ that wifi is something maybe outside of devs control but just checking)
3. as an alternative, is there a way to reset/reboot a wifi network without resetting all wifi devices. (this way i can have all my IOT devices on a guest network and maybe turn that part of and on to reset it without effecting the rest of my network)

Currently i have some automation that checks all my critical devices and if they stop responding for over 5min then a reset is sent via SSH to the router, this solution is working very well and resolves my issue witout having to do anything, but as the internet is tken of line for 1-3minuits this is not an ideal solution)

What devices are they?
I have the simplest of networks with only 2, sometimes 3 (a Roku) devices on 2.4g and have trouble with only 1, an Ambient Weather station that randomly disconnects as your log shows. In my case, it will reconnect within a few seconds. No matter what setting I experiment with (one at a time for a day to test), it still happens. while the other devices are not affected. Ambient suggested changing the mode to Legacy which helped but still happens. I sent them a message about possibly updating their firmware. They says it's the router. It does appear that the 386.5 firmware w/updated wifi drivers has helped. I blame it on the Espressif chip the weather station uses. Whatever I have on 5g never fails. Good luck with your 2.4g connections.

I'm using Sonoff basics and sonof wifi bridge (along with others)I have noted it with both the sonof basic and the bridge.

its almost like the Wi-Fi has an issue and wont let the device connect with the same connection so it refuses it,
disconnecting the device from power and rebooting does nothing, only resetting the wifi works (to fix can, 1. toggle wifi on/off, 2 make any change on wifi for example disable/enable guest wifi resets the wifi for all, 3 reboot router), this tells me its a router/wifi issue rather than a end device as i dont need to do anything with the end device toget it working again.
Not sure about the device you have but i have all mine flashed with tasmota and having this issue for some time the last research i did found that setting SetOption41 60 so that the device send a ping after x seconds, in this option every 60 seconds. this helped get me from drop outs every day to every few days

Does anyone have at least any debug, next step ideas please. Since posting this I've had 3 devices dropping causing my router to reset.

Can you try setting your channels manually and within the standard range... Radar etc can 'reclaim' certain channels, and the router will oblige, perhaps it's the router 'leaving' rather than the devices?

I too have AX88U's and I saw this with previous firmware - factory reset helped but didn't fix. stuck to standard channels and devices have stayed connected (though I should probably look in logs in case of anything spurious).

I'll add I'm using VoIP, Tasmota, Roku, Amazon and Google devices as well as a multitude of other connected devices.

When you say set channels manually do you mean WiFi channel. I have tried both auto and least congested.

today i noted something else happening at the time when IOT devices lost connection.
when i log into router and looked at system logs - wireless logs, i could see the router showing the devices connected for only a few seconds and then they would connect again for a few seconds and seemed to loop around with none showing back on the system until i restarted router. Just some more info to add to ongoing debugging.
1648625980070.png

Yes I was meaning frequency, in case something was playing DFS games, but that shouldn't touch 2.4ghz band anyway.

How do CPU/memory stats look? Do you use a usb stick in there, perhaps refresh that.

Otherwise, it's watch what ever device is literally doing in case it's something there overwhelming stuff.

I think I'd be doing a factory reset - though maybe you have?

I did see similar awhile back, but all seems reliable now.

S

Yes I was meaning frequency, in case something was playing DFS games, but that shouldn't touch 2.4ghz band anyway.

How do CPU/memory stats look? Do you use a usb stick in there, perhaps refresh that.

Otherwise, it's watch what ever device is literally doing in case it's something there overwhelming stuff.

I think I'd be doing a factory reset - though maybe you have?

I did see similar awhile back, but all seems reliable now.

CPU 0/1% ram 45-50%

Trying to avoid reset but may have to try

Ive been pointed to this, seems to be an issue with IOTdevices and asus routers
ive tried to set 2.4g on n mode only see if it makes a difference

CPU 0/1% ram 45-50%

I'm running Tasmota all over the place in here, and at work. The only issue I've had of after flashing a sonoff 4ch box this week. Other devices have stayed on and connected.

Lots of screenshots.. there used to a good backup solution, from the command line, it stripped out old variables etc etc, not sure if it still works in the same way, perhaps someone else can comment here.

S

CPU 0/1% ram 45-50%

After numerous dirty updates when new firmware is released (or alpha/beta), I finally did a factory reset and the one 2.4G device that has always randomly dropped (the Ambient Weather Station) has been flawless for almost several days now. Guess I should have done that sooner rather than make incremental setting changes that never helped.

Thanks, i may have to test doing factory reset when i have some time to look and plan, as ive not done what since getting the router so dont know what pitfalls/time spent but might be worth a go

Im having this issue with my smart lamps multiple times a day.

Sounds like environmental issues and/or week signal at the device or device returns a week signal to the router. Try using a wireless analyzer on your phone near each of these devices and see what signal strength is. The devices in your wireless log have very good signals. On 2.4 band, turn off both types of beam forming. Also set power all the way up.

Good luck

Hi sorry to revive an old thread but I'm having exactly the same issue. Did a factory reset solve the problem, or did it come back? Want to know whether it's worth the hassle of a reset or if the problem returns eventually. Thanks!

Hi, sorry I cannot answer as I have not yet had the time to perform the reset and then set it all back up again. With family wanting Internet all the time. I can confirm it's still happening on a daily basis (at least once but some times multiple) on many devices.
What I did as a temp workaround as I use home assistant. It I monitor the devices and when one becomes unavailable set a 2min timer if its still unavailable I ssh using node red into the router and kick the WiFi. Its that fast a kick even when streeming a film ext it is not interrupted and the devices come straight back on. Ssh code I use is service restart_wireless. Its working that well as a workaround that's why I've not been forced to try the reset.
Just for info I've attached log with device ids hidden but each one is a seperate device going of at the same time. I have a rule an offline device will only log 1 time every 10 min as the fix normaly works within 1 min

Sorry its not a better answer to question

Attachments

• 20220627_164337.jpg
    20220627_164337.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 221
Thanks for letting me know! I don't currently run home assitant but might be an opportunity worth persuing. I'll do it manually a few times to see if it helps, thanks again