What's new

Asus RT-AX92U 160Mhz bandwith ignored

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For those looking for AX only, click / select the following as shown in the image attached. It's definitely there but you have to select the 5-Ghz 2 band for it to be visible. If you set this up correctly. your AX92u will give you 1gbps over WiFi for your AX devices.

Do not disable smart connect. The router uses smart connect to push your AX devices to the AX band.

You should end up with 2 SSID's, for some reason it gives the AX band it's own SSID, do not connect any of your devices to that SSID. You should still connect all your devices (including the AX devices) to the primary non AX band. Make sure Hide SSID for the 5Ghz-2 band is set to no and 802.11ax / Wifi 6 Mode is set to Enable. If you see 1 or 3 SSID's, it's not setup correctly.

Mine is:

Wifi
Do Not Connect To Me

Note: It will initially take 15 minutes for the AX band to 1) appear in a wireless scan and 2) become part of the mesh.

Connect all your devices to the main SSID (non AX band), the router will then start pushing AX devices over to the AX band.

The general behavior is that almost every AX device ends up on the AX band. This is expected and desired as this band is stronger than the 2.4Ghz radio. Plus it gives greater speeds at all ranges.

Q) I've set it up and most of my AX devices are still on the AC band
A) Be patient, it will sort itself out. My theory is that this is the "AI" part of the mesh, and the mesh learns over time.

1626934163339.png

Last edited:
Take a look at the snapshot below. You can see all of the AX devices on our network are on the AX band. The printer is only 2.4Ghz.

Give your AX92u a few days for it to learn and yours should end up like this too.

1626935349844.png

Here is a speed test from a phone, it was ran in the attic. The nearest AX92u node is on the floor below.

Screenshot_20210722-074548_Speedtest.jpg

For those looking for AX only, click / select the following as shown in the image attached. It's definitely there but you have to select the 5-Ghz 2 band for it to be visible. If you set this up correctly. your AX92u will give you 1gbps over WiFi for your AX devices.

Do not disable smart connect. The router uses smart connect to push your AX devices to the AX band.

You should end up with 2 SSID's, for some reason it gives the AX band it's own SSID, do not connect any of your devices to that SSID. You should still connect all your devices (including the AX devices) to the primary non AX band. Make sure Hide SSID for the 5Ghz-2 band is set to no and 802.11ax / Wifi 6 Mode is set to Enable. If you see 1 or 3 SSID's, it's not setup correctly.

Mine is:

Wifi
Do Not Connect To Me

Note: It will initially take 15 minutes for the AX band to 1) appear in a wireless scan and 2) become part of the mesh.

Connect all your devices to the main SSID (non AX band), the router will then start pushing AX devices over to the AX band.

The general behavior is that almost every AX device ends up on the AX band. This is expected and desired as this band is stronger than the 2.4Ghz radio. Plus it gives greater speeds at all ranges.

Q) I've set it up and most of my AX devices are still on the AC band
A) Be patient, it will sort itself out. My theory is that this is the "AI" part of the mesh, and the mesh learns over time.

View attachment 35156
This is very counter-intuitive, I would have never stumbled on this. I think one key setting which you did not highlight is using only Dual Band Smart Connect. (For your settings, this seems to be the key) I have achieved the same results by using Tri Band Smart connect and tuning the Smart Connect rules. As you mention, it takes a while for the AI to sort everything out. None the less, I appreciate seeing your approach. My feeling is that you have found a bug that allows you to get results that the programmers did not anticipate.

Last edited:
This is very counter-intuitive, I would have never stumbled on this. I think one key setting which you did not highlight is using only Dual Band Smart Connect. (For your settings, this seems to be the key) I have achieved the same results by using Tri Band Smart connect and tuning the Smart Connect rules. As you mention, it takes a while for the AI to sort everything out. None the less, I appreciate seeing your approach. My feeling is that you have found a bug that allows you to get results that the programmers did not anticipate.
Logic dictates that this shouldn't work but it does. You would think dual band smart connect should mean just 2.4g and 5g1

Mine never gives me the option for tri band smart connect, how did you get it on yours?

Last edited:
Logic dictates that this shouldn't work but it does. You would think dual band smart connect should mean just 2.4g and 5g1

Mine never gives me the option for tri band smart connect, how did you get it on yours?
Perhaps you are not using wired backhaul (and therefore do not see Tri-Band)

Take a look at the snapshot below. You can see all of the AX devices on our network are on the AX band. The printer is only 2.4Ghz.

Give your AX92u a few days for it to learn and yours should end up like this too.

View attachment 35157

What version of the firmware do you have?, because my router doesn't allow to set the 5G-2 until you disable smart connect. If it is enabled, both bands are joined and AX option doesn't appears:
Sin título.png

I'm using the latest firmware but this option has been available on the last few revisions.

Press the drop down bands menu, you should then be able to select 5g2

Again, this is very confusing and likely a bug. But, it works.

Before discovering this, I assumed the AX92u's had a speed limit of 2x2 AC. All the review sites incorrectly report this.

I'd like to come back to this thread and update my procedure.

It turns out you can have tri band smart connect with a wireless backhaul.

The way you do it is to setup your mesh with wired backhauls in tri band mode. You need to plug in the ethernet cables.

Once you are happy, simply un plug the ethernet cables. If you need to switch off your units to position them in other rooms, this is also fine. When you switch them back on they will still be in triband mode. The reason this works is because they are now using the wireless backhaul in fallback mode.

Triband mode is better than my dual band "hack" as it now only shows 1 SSID for all 3 bands. You also no longer need to set it to AX only, it will automatically push slower devices into 5g1. In addition, you can leave it on 20/40/80/160 and it will intelligently select the appropriate bandwidth based on range.

I've been testing it in this mode and get 950mb/s on my phones and desktop PC's. My laptop never seems to want to go above 450mb/s, despite being connected to the AX band. I guess it must only be 2x2. It's a Dell XPS 9310.

Last edited:
Hi, sorry for digging this Thread up again... but I was wondering if it was possible to allocate the 36-64 channels to the 5Ghz-2 (or Wifi6) band in order to use the 160 Mhz mode without running into the radar detected issue? I found that the channel list can probably be changed bis the nvram set chlist command in SSH, but didnt want to make a change w/o asking someone who is more proficient than me in this area...

Hi, sorry for digging this Thread up again... but I was wondering if it was possible to allocate the 36-64 channels to the 5Ghz-2 (or Wifi6) band in order to use the 160 Mhz mode without running into the radar detected issue? I found that the channel list can probably be changed bis the nvram set chlist command in SSH, but didnt want to make a change w/o asking someone who is more proficient than me in this area...
No. Any way you use 160 MHz you will run into DFS channels.

Aren't the channels 36-48 not supposed to be affected by DFS and radar? Anyway, I tried to change the channel list and add the channels between 36-64 but the changes would not stick... I guess its just not possible then :/

1639738614151.png