What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX92U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.46061 - 2022/01/20

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If it's a managed switch, that may be the issue.

I think the only things to try are an unmanaged switch or a longer Ethernet run.

Thanks, I'll try a full system reset this weekend with my AX92U and AX88U and see if that fixes the issue.
So, I did a full system factory reset after upgrading the AX92U. I reset the AX88U main router, other than default settings I just set up a separate SSID for 2.4G and 5G wireless networks. I then added the AX92U as mesh node using wireless backhaul and configured the guest networks, isolated from intranet and propagating to the mesh node for 2.4G and 5G again with different SSIDs. I then had the same problem on the AX92U, no devices would connect to the 5G guest network (2.4G works fine), they can see the network however when they connect they are forced back to the main router with a weaker signal.

I suspect there's some bug in the firmware that thinks the devices aren't getting a good connection to the mesh node, even if I try to force the devices to bind to the mesh node it just pushes them back to the main router with a warning saying the signal wasn't strong enough to use the node.

I've flashed the AX92U back to 43084 (no reset, no reconfiguration) and the guest 5G network starts working fine again, so I'm giving up with 46061, there's obviously some bug in the firmware that's specific to my setup given other folks seem to be able to get the guest network to operate.

So, I did a full system factory reset after upgrading the AX92U. I reset the AX88U main router, other than default settings I just set up a separate SSID for 2.4G and 5G wireless networks. I then added the AX92U as mesh node using wireless backhaul and configured the guest networks, isolated from intranet and propagating to the mesh node for 2.4G and 5G again with different SSIDs. I then had the same problem on the AX92U, no devices would connect to the 5G guest network (2.4G works fine), they can see the network however when they connect they are forced back to the main router with a weaker signal.

I suspect there's some bug in the firmware that thinks the devices aren't getting a good connection to the mesh node, even if I try to force the devices to bind to the mesh node it just pushes them back to the main router with a warning saying the signal wasn't strong enough to use the node.

I've flashed the AX92U back to 43084 (no reset, no reconfiguration) and the guest 5G network starts working fine again, so I'm giving up with 46061, there's obviously some bug in the firmware that's specific to my setup given other folks seem to be able to get the guest network to operate.
My issue on two RT-AX92U is that I can't connect any guest devices through AiMesh node, no matter that's 2.4G or 5G. Are you using a switch in between?

My issue on two RT-AX92U is that I can't connect any guest devices through AiMesh node, no matter that's 2.4G or 5G. Are you using a switch in between?
No, I'm just using a wireless backhaul, I've not tested it with a wired backhaul via a switch.

Yes, Asus tech support seems to leave a lot to be desired. The router UI now has a built in feedback option, but good luck trying to get a response from Asus concerning any issues you may report to them.
I know about that feature -- it even has an option for supplying a case number for reference when submitting info. Unfortunately, their "tech support" refuses to acknowledge its existence. I have tried repeatedly to submit my config and logs via that route, specifying my (pre-existing) case number in the field provided, but their "support" team keeps insisting that I send a config file that has been saved using a well-known userid/password.

Just to see what would happen, I created a 5ghz version of guest network 1 set for no intranet access and sync to aimesh node - all. I then took a Pixel 2XL and had it join this new network. It was assigned a 192.168.102.X IP address. When physically placed close to each node or the main router, it was able to successfully establish and maintain a connection with each device. So, it appears that the Asus RT-AX92U & RT-AC86U firmwares operate properly supporting an AiMesh infrastructure.
My devices can each connect to the Guest network exactly once. After a variable period of some tens of minutes they each drop off and then cannot reconnect.

I know about that feature -- it even has an option for supplying a case number for reference when submitting info. Unfortunately, their "tech support" refuses to acknowledge its existence. I have tried repeatedly to submit my config and logs via that route, specifying my (pre-existing) case number in the field provided, but their "support" team keeps insisting that I send a config file that has been saved using a well-known userid/password.
Oh, and their latest response says my issue is probably a hardware problem. Right. A problem that you can make appear and disappear at will by upgrading or back-revving your firmware is almost NEVER a hardware problem (says my 40 years in networking). If it is, they should be able to say definitively based on what hardware feature is used differentially between the two revs.

My devices can each connect to the Guest network exactly once. After a variable period of some tens of minutes they each drop off and then cannot reconnect.

I have the same issue as you with my two RT-AX92U, no matter for guest network 2.4ghz or 5ghz it can't connect to the guest network (on the router). (Intranet access: Disabled and Sync to AiMesh Node: Router Only)
I am using a wireless backhaul, because wired is not an option for me.

Additional to the guest network connect issue after one or two days the node will freeze and don't accept wireless connections anymore at all.(After node reboot it works for one or two days again)

I have done system reset before and after upgrade to 46061, I have given up after a week of issues with 46061 and back at 43084 what works fine without issues.

Last edited:
Yes, I am using DHCP and 2 mobile devices to test, really encountered the issue.

I did try to fatory reset everything, after reset, simple add the AiMesh node, then configure the first Guest Network with Intranet Disabled and Sync to Node. It was working and then after I enabled the Ehternet Backhaul (with Tri-band smart connect), although the mobile devices can still see the Guest Network they can then never connect thru the node.

It may because of I am using 2 RT-AX92U? (e.g. only RT-AX92U will be having this issue as node), or it is because I am using a switch between 2 RT-AX92U?
Yes, it could be the switch, the configuration may require a direct Ethernet connection between the main router and its nodes. You need to try eliminating the switch and see if that makes any difference.

Have you tried clicking optimize in the AI Mesh screen?

I've never used the guest network. However, clicking this fixed all the issues with IOT devices dropping and phones connecting to weak signal nodes.

It's been a while since we saw new firmware for the AX92U. Should I worry that ASUS is sunsetting this model?

You're allowed too, but I believe you would be jumping to conclusions.

It's been a while since we saw new firmware for the AX92U. Should I worry that ASUS is sunsetting this model?

It doesn't make sense to phase out the AX92u yet. The XT12 has only just came out.

As for firmware, there's much older routers that still get updates.

it's worrying now : half It's been a while since we saw new firmware for the AX92U. Should I worry that ASUS is sunsetting this model?
Its getting awkward now, half a year without an update on RT-AX92U ? Really ? Not even security patches or anything ?

They're working on it. If you need to, Better Search may bring something relevant up (from RMerlin).

I didn't say he did (but he has mentioned Asus has been busy trying to finalize the latest firmware issues, before release).