What's new

Asus rt-n18u connection /load times

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alienbliep

Occasional Visitor
Goodday,

Last week i upgrade my accesspoint from an Trendnet TEW-690AP 450n to Rt-N18U because of range issues.
The range is now perfect. Except the problem that on the 2 phones (only ones) in the house 20-30% of the time when i type in an website or search something already on google it load really long. When i open an new page and do the same thing it works directly. While i am at google.com it wont load an new search entry so it is not an dns issue i think. While de RT-n18u (rt-n66u whithout 5ghz) is in accespoint mode i entered an static ip like my Trendnet so i can easily find it on my network it also asked me for an dns server. But since it is in accespoint mode i don´t think that is necessary. It looks like an timeout problem or something.

The steps i took are:
Find the best possible channel available.
Connect my modem to my switch and the switch to an lan port on the rt-n18u just like the trendnet was.

Is there anybody who can help me? Is it the wmm setting or something. Streaming videos to an tablet goes fine.

Yours,

Stefan

On the phones go to the WiFi settings. "Forget" the SSID you are connecting to. Then create a new connection for the SSID.

Thanks. I will try that.
But i reset all my networks settings on my wifes phone. There is an option in android for it. Will ask if ot helped.
We don't really use a laptop so i dont know if the problem is there too.
Very strange that this better asus router has this problem.
Do i put in an dns server after the static ip adres? The fields are empty because i was assuming the modem did the dns stuff

Do i put in an dns server after the static ip adres? The fields are empty because i was assuming the modem did the dns stuff
You should either have "Connect to DNS Server automatically" set to Yes, or you should manually enter valid addresses.

Ok.
I copied the dns from the modem. Strange i thought in ap mode this is handled by the modem.
The rt-n18u also sees every utp connected device in the house. Is this normal? It os in ap mode

Ooh whatsapp messages are also not being sent or with an super delay. In whatsapp i see the ticking clock and it takes 30 seconds or longer before sending

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200929-182837_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200929-182837_Samsung Internet.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 277
  • Screenshot_20200929-182949_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200929-182949_Samsung Internet.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 316
I copied the dns from the modem. Strange i thought in ap mode this is handled by the modem.
You have LAN IP set to automatic therefore you should also set DNS to automatic. The DNS setting is only used by the AP for itself, it doesn't effect the clients.

The rt-n18u also sees every utp connected device in the house. Is this normal? It os in ap mode
Yes.

Ooh whatsapp messages are also not being sent or with an super delay. In whatsapp i see the ticking clock and it takes 30 seconds or longer before sending
Sorry, I don't know anything about whatsapp.

Sorry wrong picture. I was fiddling with the settings. I attached a new one.

The dns doesnt seem to help

The only thing i changed from stock is the schedule for at night off and beacon interval first to 500ms then 400.... now its 200. For health sake

By the whatsapp i mean there is deffinitly a big lag.

I'm sorry but i dont understand why an simple device works and advanced more expensive one is so complicated and doesnt work

Is there maybe a better firmware?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200929-203017_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200929-203017_Samsung Internet.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 281
  • Screenshot_20200929-202339_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200929-202339_Samsung Internet.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 291
  • Screenshot_20200929-202710_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200929-202710_Samsung Internet.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 277
Disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming as they can cause problems with some clients.

I've tried above steps. They dont really help. Even youtube cuts out loads 20second en then resumes. I dont know whether its because of no beamforming and out of range or the same problem really.
But this morning google loading was awful long.
I found out that i was not running the latest firmware. Because it wasnt use for some time so i had to update it manually. That also didnt help.

I think that my old trendnet tew-690ap doesnt had al the features that this one has. No beamforming airtime etc etc.

Last edited:
Ok,

I installed an merlin firmware. hard resetted the router
Changed it to ap mode with my static internal ip adres and subnet mask en dns servers form my modem
Put it at 20mhz channel
Put my schedule back in for at night
Changed the beacon interval back to 200ms

Teh rest of the settings are unchanged
Airtime fairness defaulted to off with merlin
Explicit and universal beamforming defealted to on with merlin

Is 20mhz ok? or is auto 20/40mhz better. we have alot of overlapping channel around us and i don't need the better throughput of 40mhz
What is turboqam? Wit the new merlin f/w i can change from mcs9 turboqam to mcs 7 802.11n

I hope the probem is solved. It's not an bandwith issue because when i am the only one i the house googling something wil also take ages. And i'm next to the asus ap.

Edit:

With the merlin firmware i see i dropped one bar rangewise on every device.
Speeds are also slower.
Next to the router with merlin 110mbps wit stock firmware 192mbps.
At the attic with my phone where the trendnet couldn't reacht with merlin 13mbps with stock firmware 26mbps.
The tablet loads a netflix movie very very long at the attic. This problem was solved when the stock firmware was on it.
Ill try to reload stock firmware and do a hard reset and put all beamforming and airtime to off. I didn't do that after last big firmware update

Last edited:
Ok. After an hard reset with the latest stock firmware it seems a bit better.
Can it be because im at the attic on my phone and my wife in the living room downstairs next to the rt-n18u on her phone?
Some kind of beamforming problem upstairs?

While i asked her through whatsapp if it's working ok lately she says at this moment not. I'm upstairs shes downstairs. (Yes we also talk normal lol)

Ok since ther were no answers.
The router worked fine since the last post.
Now it started all over again.
When entering an website at google on the phone. Really really long load times. Like an dns problem. Switch to 4g umts and the site is immediatly there.

Goodday,

Last week i upgrade my accesspoint from an Trendnet TEW-690AP 450n to Rt-N18U because of range issues.
The range is now perfect. Except the problem that on the 2 phones (only ones) in the house 20-30% of the time when i type in an website or search something already on google it load really long. When i open an new page and do the same thing it works directly. While i am at google.com it wont load an new search entry so it is not an dns issue i think. While de RT-n18u (rt-n66u whithout 5ghz) is in accespoint mode i entered an static ip like my Trendnet so i can easily find it on my network it also asked me for an dns server. But since it is in accespoint mode i don´t think that is necessary. It looks like an timeout problem or something.

The steps i took are:
Find the best possible channel available.
Connect my modem to my switch and the switch to an lan port on the rt-n18u just like the trendnet was.

Is there anybody who can help me? Is it the wmm setting or something. Streaming videos to an tablet goes fine.

Yours,

Stefan
You might try connecting the '18 directly to the modem (modem LAN out to router WAN in) in the default mode and either forget the switch or put it downstream of the '18 if you really need the extra ports. Just a shot in the dark but I would try that. Also, as you are not using 5G, the 20 mhz bandwith may be a better choice.

Ok an update.

I don´t think it´s the asus accespoint.
I only use wifi at home. I come to realise that the samsung tab 2 and laptop never have this issue.
My wife and i have both an galaxy s8 Phone. They are known for wifi issues.

Now i´m testing the wifi at work with my Phone and it has the same issue. Although a little bit less. The respone from website after entering the www. and pressing enter to search is delayed with 5 second. Same as whatsapp messages sending. The only thing is that it is an dsl connection with 40mbit. at home the website takes 20second to respond. Same with whatsapp. with 350mbit cable connection.

I moved in this new house march this year. Before that i have used this Phone for 1,5years with the trendnet 690ap accespoint. I used the trendnet for a month more in the new house. There is a big possibility i have updated the Phone with an new firmware and bought the rt-n18u at the same time.

So my Phone seems broken.
My wife has the same problem but only sporadic with sending whatsapp messages.

Both the trednet and asus use aes encryption. The trendnet was at 20/40mhz.
But i don´t think there will be an solution since the tablet and laptop all work fine

i tried connecting the rt-n18u and r-n66u directly to the modem. to no avail

Yes i have been on the 20mhz and not 20/40mhz band for the last 2 months. I thought it was the switching between speeds that was causing the latency ping whatever problem.

I had an ea-n66 the little pyramid accespoint thingy. It was the same kind of disaster. I put it in the trash can

Received the rt-n66u. Set it up
Range was less then the rt-n18u. 5mbps in the shed vs 39-45mbps on the rt-n18u. After turning it to 20/40mhz and maybe the ai radarsensed me i have 58-72mbps.
At the attic it was 40mbps now it is 78mbps. You have to be stationairy for a little while.

The rt-n66u doenst have all the airtime turboqam crap. (at least it´s hidden)
The accesspoint at my work is also a fairly new one with turboqam and everything i think.

I bought an second hand R7000 and the range on that is just not good enough. :/ a little device (trendnet) with 10cm x 2cm x 6cm dimensions and little antennas gives better range. :$

I disabled that on the rt-n18u. So i dont know if that could be giving problems

The response from websites seems better with the rt-n66u. Could there be a possibility that the rt-n18u uses something that the phones dont like?

Ok so the situationnis still the same after fiddling for 40+ hours.
The trendnet tew-690ap from 2015 is working great
Internet pages load and whatsapps being direct sent likes its on 4g umts.
It loads websites so fast its like they are being cached already. in an blink of an eye.
Maybe its got something to do with the greend field option it has and lack of airadar beamforming shirt.

Although the trendnet is in green field mode our nintendo new 3ds xl with only 802.11g cinnects fine.
When the trednet is in 20/40mhz mode my phones sees with wifianalyzer its in 40mhz mode.

With the asuses being in n only mode the nintendo ds doesnt connect.
When the asus are in either 20 20/40 or 40mhz wifianalyzer always says 40mhz.

So i think there is an compatability issue with android phones here.

I attached pictures of the settibgs of the trendnet and asus as it is right now.

The last i'm trying is swithcing to another channel. I was at 6 the whole time. That was the least populated in the shed. But in the house (where the ap is) i receive the neighbours channel 6 router.

Attachments

• 2000620589.jpeg.jpg
    2000620589.jpeg.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 207
  • Screenshot_20201214-073432_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-073432_Samsung Internet.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Screenshot_20201214-073415_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-073415_Samsung Internet.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 194
  • Screenshot_20201214-073026_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214-073026_Samsung Internet.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 20201214_073104.jpg
    20201214_073104.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Have you tried manually setting the DNS provider in your Samsung phones.

The internet gateway provided by my DSL ISP is HORRIBLY slow at responding to dns and dhcp queries.

In the photo I have a few name servers showing . The first 2 are local to me.
The first is an RT-N12_D1 connected by ethernet to the main AP/router. The 2nd is my main AP/router , an RT-N66U facing the internet.
The 3rd and 4th are the nameservers I have configured for my main router to connect to for lookups.

The last one is the portal gateway provided by my ISP. It is typefaced in yellow as are the 2 name servers it connects to.
Notice the extraordinarily long reply time connecting to my portal gateway. When using this for a nameserver , all pages on all devices take 10 - 15 seconds to start to load. When using my RT-N66U that lookes elsewhere for name resolutin the pages start immediately and have loaded before the dsl-Portal will give the first reply. YMMV

DNS Benchmark.PNG

With the asuses being in n only mode the nintendo ds doesnt connect.
I think those are either legacy (B) or G devices . Setting Wireless Mode to Auto should fix that.
They and other Sony/Mac/I-Phone devices have trouble connecting to my RT-AC68U and the RT-AC88U with this set to anything else as well as when I have universal beam forming turned on.

Last edited:
At this moment i am trying a new phone.
It was only my phone that was loading too long after all i think. Although i noticed it at the laptop last night too.

In the picture are the dns settings i copied them from my modem in the rt-n18u / rt-n66u

Attachments

• 20201218_072548.jpg
    20201218_072548.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 201